British Speedway Forum
Guest Dawn

Urgent help please - Odsal Stadium Music

Guest Dawn

I write asking for help in locating a piece of music that was played at Odsal stadium (and I believe the Shay also), many years ago (30ish?) when the guys in the white coats marched out of the pits onto the track at the start of each meeting.

My Mum and I would very much have this played at my Dad's funeral next Tuesday, hence the urgency. My Dad, Ron Parker, was mechanic and life-long friend of the late Arnie Haley, who some of you may remember when he rode for Sheffield Tigers.

Speedway was always a huge part of my Dad's life, even after Arnie stopped racing and we feel this would be a fitting tune to have played as we leave the chapel on Tuesday.

If anyone can let me know the title and/or the artist I would be most grateful.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Dawn

I write asking for help in locating a piece of music that was played at Odsal stadium (and I believe the Shay also), many years ago (30ish?) when the guys in the white coats marched out of the pits onto the track at the start of each meeting.

My Mum and I would very much have this played at my Dad's funeral next Tuesday, hence the urgency.  My Dad, Ron Parker, was mechanic and life-long friend of the late Arnie Haley, who some of you may remember when he rode for Sheffield Tigers. 

Speedway was always a huge part of my Dad's life, even after Arnie stopped racing and we feel this would be a fitting tune to have played as we leave the chapel on Tuesday.

If anyone can let me know the title and/or the artist I would be most grateful.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Dawn

There was abook written about Halifax speedway going way back, surely iof someone knows who wrote it you'd find out, good luck and sorry about yer Dad.

Guest Dawn

Many thanks for your quick responses!

I'm afraid that's not the tune... it was a march I believe, Mum thought it was "March of the Gladiators", but that's not right (circus tune!), though it is quite a jolly type tune, foot-tapper sort of thing.

Any other ideas please?

Dawn

Dawn,

I can't help you with the music, being from the south I didn't get up to your tracks as often as I would have liked. But the book referred to above was called 'Halifax Speedway 1928-1951' written by a Terry Warren who was the official statitician and historian for the club. From 1978 he was doing facts and figures in the Halifax programme and assisted in presenting a speedway feature on your local radio.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Guest Dawn

Many thanks to everyone for your assistance in my plight. I have now located the music (“On the Quarterdeck” for anyone who’s interested), Ray Allen who runs the TIB Speedway website all about Bradford speedway, kindly answered my email plea for help. Not only that, but he’s going to send me the cd (Battle of the Bands, this track by the Royal Marines Band) in the post! What a guy!

Many thanks again for the help and suggestions you have all offered.

Kind regards.

Dawn

Many thanks to everyone for your assistance in my plight.  I have now located the music (“On the Quarterdeck” for anyone who’s interested), Ray Allen who runs the TIB Speedway website all about Bradford speedway, kindly answered my email plea for help.  Not only that, but he’s going to send me the cd (Battle of the Bands, this track by the Royal Marines Band) in the post!  What a guy!

Many thanks again for the help and suggestions you have all offered.

Kind regards.

Dawn

Hope all goes well, Tues