British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Diamond Exile

Aussie Speedway Season

a very large track (something like 510 meters)

Hope this isn't a stupid question but on huge tracks like that do the riders still do four laps?

The reason I ask is I am sure someone told me some years back that at some big tracks there are only three laps?

Fact or fiction Lunchy?

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Fact this year ML !!

At Newcastle this year the track was so big and fast they only ran three laps because of the worry of running out of fuel.

At Tamworth (450 m) they only ran three laps for all 20 heats both for the qualifying meeting and the final meeting, yet for the final (ie the top 4 after 20 heats) they ran over 4 laps for some reason.

At Gatton I know they run over 3 laps because I overheard a conversation on the weekend (don't worry, they knew I was there !!) that said running over 4 laps was making the engines too hot and causing mechanical problems so they only run over 3 laps now.

When are you coming over on a fact finding mission ML ?

The question about doing less laps on the larger tracks is a valid and topical one.

I'd go as far to say its probably the norm in Australia to run races over three laps at the larger venues, surprisingly some of the smaller venues like Labrador do the same in non championship events.

I've always had problems understanding the latter, a 3 lap race on a 320 metre circuit doesn't make sense to me but it happens.

Thanks for the info Lunchy and BrizHeathen :)

When are you coming over on a fact finding mission ML ?

I would dearly love to come over to Australia and you never know that could well happen in the next couple of years. I just can't get my head around flying to and from meetings once there tho :P

But this year I am concentrating on getting to Poland to see my hero (Tomasz Gollob) in action :)

Hi, I've just read that the Gosford meeting I was hoping to take in has been cancelled - :( ...it's starting to look like i'm not going to see any speedway on my trip down under (unless something turns up in Queensland - still hoping). Don't suppose anyone would know of anything (even cars!) scheduled between 25 March and 18 April between Sydney and Cairns? Running out of ideas really - have spent hours looking on the net, so would appreciate any help! Cheers.

Standby for Pioneer Park and Brandon dates, both an hour out of Townsville.

Pioneer Park is for sale but I believe it will continue operating.

Don't Despair "Diamond Exile".

Looks like you will have the opportunity to take in plenty of speedway when in Queensland. In fact, there seem to be meetings on 3 consecutive April weekends

April 2 at Labrador Gold Coast - A great line-up of 16 riders from NSW and QLD is programmed. After the meeting you can begin your long trek North to catch the 2 meetings at Brandon and Pioneer Park as recently mentioned by my old Labrador Comrade now domociled in Townsville - Lee.

If you'd like any further information/assistance with the April 2 meeting at the Gold Coast - please feel free to make contact.

Brett

:);)

Hi Ozpirate! Great news about Labrador.. can you tell me roughly how far / long of a drive it is out of Brisbane? I was hoping to spend time in Brisbane over that same weekend, so may head to Labrador if it's near enough by... I've got a map, but it's pretty large scale, so i'm only guessing that the drive isn't too bad? Cheers!

Diamond,

Labrador is on the Gold Coast only a few minutes from the various attractions, Surfers Paradise, etc, and about an hours drive from Brisbane, a great little venue it is too.

As Whowasthatberntpersson has indicated, the Gold Coast Labrador track is a comfortable 1 hour's drive from Brisbane. It's a 4 lane freeway each direction which makes for a very easy, "no hassles" drive.

However, if you're staying in Brisbane I'd be happy to give you a lift down and back. It should be a good meeting including Junior U16 solos during the late afternoon, followed by 20 Heats of solo action interspersed with sidecar racing. Labrador is a unique track which generally produces cracking racing.

Please let me know what you decide and if I can be of any help during your time in Brisbane.

Guys, Many thanks for your help! I'll get in touch shortly on the email, I'm travelling out to Singapore next week so will be in touch before I set-off. Would be great to meet you if you're gonna be going to the meetings. Will write soon.