British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BrizHeathen

North Queensland Speedway

After several phone calls it appears I have unearthed a hive of possible speedway activity in the tropical North and the Townsville area in particular.

The famous Pioneer Park venue near Ayr is running monthly although the tropical downpours this area received recently meant last Saturday's scheduled event was postponed until the 12th Feb.

Just down the Bruce Highway as you head South away from Townsville the Brandon complex also runs monthly.

Both include Juniors and Pioneer Park definitely has a healthy junior solo program racing from 6-7pm prior to the main events.

There is also a track in Townsville which I know little about at this stage, although having seen videos of past events I do know the track produces fantastic racing.

Hopefully through this forum and the speedway lists I can raise the profile of speedway in this area, I had no idea speedway was so active here.

Its redneck country but the past indicates the potential with such riders as Steve Koppe, Merv Jenke, and current sidecar stars Gary Moon and Christopher/Koppe coming from this area.

Edited by BrizHeathen

Glad to see you are settling in up there in the tropics.

Terrific to see that North Queensland speedway is alive and well - sounds like there could be plenty of action down the road from you. I hope the Townsville track gets up and running - last I heard it was idle.

We pinched your regular chair in the grandstand at the last Labrador meeting a fortnight back - I hope this was okay? It's yours when you return.

Hi BrizHeathen,

Don't suppose you would know if there are any meetings scheduled for mid-april? ... I'm planning to be up in Queensland around that time, so would be great to take in a meeting. I've tried looking on the net without success... cheers!

Diamond,

There are two tracks in the Townsville region running monthly at the moment, they both run on Saturday's (consecutive) usually. So you have a very good chance of seeing one in Mid April.

When you say you will be in Queensland I'm assuming you mean North Queensland because its a very long way to Brisbane etc from Townsville.

You can contact me via email at lwmorris@iprimus.com.au I'll get the dates asap.

There is a meeting at Pioneer Park this Saturday 12th March so I should find out more then.

Brandon runs next Saturday 19th.

Get in touch when/If you are in the area.

Hi there, I'm planning to travel from Brisbane overland up to Cairns, so a meeting in Townsville would be perfect! Please let me know as soon as you know the meeting dates, thanks a lot!

Diamond,

I'll get the dates for you shortly.

My Son made his Junior Racing debut at Pioneer Park on Saturday night and I missed the announcement for the next meeting.

Diamond,

You may be in luck.

Pioneer Park - Saturday 9th April (Traditional speedway solos and sidecars, plus Junior Solos)

Brandon - Saturday 16th April (Dirt Track and Speedway, speedway is under lights)

Email me for more details, locations etc.

Diamond,

It's raining speedway meetings in Queensland (Sorry any Belle Vue readers) during April. In addition to Lee's 2 meetings in Townsville, we also have a super solo program set down for April 2 at Labrador (Gold Coast). See my other post in Aussie Speedway Season for more details.

Any tracks in Rockhampton?

Hi Joanne,

There cerainly is a track in Rockhampton, I think its mainly car racing these days but they do have the occaisional bike meeting, infact a friend of mine rode there not so long ago.

I belive this track is one of Ozpirates favourites and quite unusual in that the startline is very close to the first bend and the track is almost circular, it produced some great racing in the various International Series meetings held in the past.

Hi whowasthatberntpersson, Good news about the townsville meetings... I'm very much hoping to attend one of the two meetings, possibly the one on the 16th April.. I'll post on here again once I've got a better idea of my route up from Brisbane, perhaps you could help me with directions to the track / start times. I'll drop you a line when i'm sorted, cheers!

No problem, get in touch and I'll help you out.

Both tracks are a little out of town, heading South from Townsville, about an hour away, but they are very easy to get to (they are both on or just to the side of the Bruce Highway) which is the main Highway in and out of Townsville.

Best to email me incase I miss a posting on here.

Hi Joanne,

There cerainly is a track in Rockhampton, I think its mainly car racing these days but they do have the occaisional bike meeting, infact a friend of mine rode there not so long ago.

I belive this track is one of Ozpirates favourites and quite unusual in that the startline is very close to the first bend and the track is almost circular, it produced some great racing in the various International Series meetings held in the past.

Thanks BrizHeathen, Do you know exactly where it is so I can tell my relations? They have never heard of Jason Crump :rolleyes::sad:

To be fair to your family, Jo, I believe a lady close to JC intially believed him to be a racing driver :)

Thanks BrizHeathen, Do you know exactly where it is so I can tell my relations? They have never heard of Jason Crump :rolleyes::sad:

Joanne,

The Rockhampton Speedway is staged at the Rockhampton Showground which is bordered by New Exhibition Road and Lion Creek Road. As Whowasthatberntpersson so rightly said, this track is a favourite of mine with the 1998 ISMS round at the venue being the best speedway meeting I've ever witnessed. Below is a link showing the layout of the Showground:

http://www.horseexpo.com.au/pdf/Horse05_SiteMap.pdf

Edited by ozpirate