British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whowasthatberntpersson

Pioneer Park - 25th June 2005

The new owners of Pioneer Park Speedway in North Queensland have their big opener tomorrow night at 6pm.

The programme consists of Junior and Senior Solos and Sidecars, Formula 200's and stock bikes, there will also be a firworks display.

The place has been given a real spruce up and looks in fine shape. The snackbar will have a new menu and the new advertising campaign should ensure a bumper opening night crowd.

Can't wait.

Co owner Shelley Ryan informs me that the Juniors will be incorporated in the main programme, with give aways and encouragement awards for the Under 16's ....

Pioneer Park is located in the town of Brandon just over 70km South of Townsville on the Bruce Highway.

The meeting at Pioneer Park was absolutely outstanding, the best speedway racing I’ve seen in years.

The track was tremendous and a good crowd was in attendance for new owners Shelley and Rhino Ryan.

Unfortunately the Solo final ended with a very very nasty pileup close to the finish line, Rod Heathcote was leading but was being pushed all the way by Ricky Barney, whilst Steven Reid was snapping at Barney’s heels, Roy Stout was not far behind, Heathcote seemed to slow very slightly as they approached the finish line on the fourth lap and Barney ran into the back of him, they both fell and Reid who was very close rode straight over Barney. All three were able to walk away but Heathcote and Barney were very badly shaken, with their bikes battered.

All four finalists are in the North QLD squad to take on NSW, the three fallers have two weeks to get themselves and their machines into shape before the first hit out at Brandon….without doubt Heathcote has the toughest task, he was in a lot of pain and looked to have suffered rib injuries…or should I say worsened the rib injuries he already had..so reserve Reid is in with a shout.

The sidecar racing was awesome, with a final worthy of an Australian Championship, the Wayne Munck/O’Brien pairing pulling off a very impressive final victory ahead of Australian Champions Christopher/Koppe with Gary Moon/ Sinnot third.

The combinations of Christopher/Koppe and Moon/Sinnot will represent Australia in Germany shortly

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I'm jealous WWTBP !!

Next thing you are going to tell me it was a gorgeous night with the temperature in the low 20's while I'm down south shivering in single digit degrees. All the same it's fantastic news for speedway up your neck of the woods and it's to be hoped with the upcoming tour there will be a bit of extra publicity for the sport in Nth Qld.

Hope Ricky Barney is ok, wasn't he the one who mangled himself fairly badly at Tamworth at the U21 meeting ? (or have I got my wires crossed again)

I've only become aware of Ricky Barney since I moved up here in January so I wasn't aware of any mishap at Tamworth..I think he's ok though, his old man was making plans to get the bike fixed last night so that a good sign.

Unfortunately Rod Heathcote wasn't so lucky, he aggrivated rib injuries and also suffered groin ligament idamage..the latter doesn't sound too nice does it?

As for the temperature...well it was quite crisp for these parts...must of been the sudden drop from a wintery 25 degrees once the sun went down that made it feel so cool...it was definately well below the low 20's later on.

Edited by whowasthatberntpersson

does have any contact phone numbers for the new owners trying to get a ride there befor i fly back to oz becouse with out that place its not worth going.

I have the new owners contact details and calender for the next 12 months, email me at lwmorris@iprimus.com.au and I'll pass on any info you require.