British Speedway Forum

Why was GREEN introduced?

I thought it was because white didn't show up on the telly.

If so, who's idea was it that a helmet colour to denote the tactical double rider would be WHITE and black?

Surely it should have been GREEN and black?

I was at the Newport meeting where the farcical decision about the helmet colour was made. Sure she was a trainee but wasn't it Chris Gay at her side? surely he knows better. how is it fair that the top stars can get away with all sorts of helmet designs when they can afford a different helmet for every colour yet the young lads who are just starting out get penalised for using a yellow and black helmet colour?

Woody,

Im sure the colours were changed to represent the 4 coloured buttons on the sky remote.This then makes betting possible through SKYBET.

Phil

I think she should be an age limit for the fines its a bit harsh on the youngsters!

Edited by schuey

If you enforce rules from the start youngsters are going to get to know them. Let them off to begin with and they will continue trying to bend the rules either deliberately or because they haven't bothered to learn them.

If a rider goes out and doesn't fit his dirt deflector his opponents are not going to like it if they are filled in with dirt and the ref lets the offender off. Start as you mean to go on. Parents must also take some responsibility too.

I must say though imposing a fine at CL or U15 level is silly and another punishment such as 15 yard (or is it metres these days?)handicap or exclusion would be more appropriate and perhaps teach a lesson.

As regards the helmet colours, as a former employee of Sky, I was aware that they were behind and suggested the change of helmet colours.

Their intention was (and could still be) to have all riders wearing helmet cams and using the four coloured interactive buttons on the remote control the viewer could select which of the fours riders they 'viewed' from as well as possibilities for Skybet.

Edited by cinderfella

to be honest they need to crackdown on helmet colours in Elite League, Lee Richardson constantly goes out in a gold helmet for yellow and never gets punished, so kids watching and doing speedway will think it is not too much of a problem, so the kids get punnished and fined for wearing the wrong shade of that colour they are supposed to be in that heat. at least he is wearing the right colour unlike Lee Richardson. rules are rules but if the top guys break them then that sets out the wrong example to the younger riders who watch live speedway