British Speedway Forum
bulldog 77 / 78

Derek Hole

Went into Bath this morning, theres no Midland Road Garage....but there is a Midland Motor Company across the road from the old Green Park station, Could this be the place you are on about "KNOWLE"?

Went into Bath this morning, theres no Midland Road Garage....but there is a Midland Motor Company across the road from the old Green Park station, Could this be the place you are on about "KNOWLE"?

Sorry bulldog but I got this info secondhand from a man called Colston who,like me,is a member of the Bristol Speedway Supporters Club and who lives in Bath and takes his car there. At our next meeting I will get more info .I was shocked to see post from BASIL please post any definate info.

Hi "KNOWLE" good to hear from you again. I must admit I was quite shocked myself with the news from "BASIL", Ive heard this elsewhere too - so must be true. He was young too, born in 52, I guess the injuries from crashing eventually take their toll on the body. Im surprised you mentioned the supporters club - I thought they folded years ago, I would like to know more....could you email me please with details

Ive heard from another source recently that Derek Hole is still alive, can anyone confirm this ?

Derek looked OK when I saw him last week

Hi Rich, thanks for the info, did you mention to him the question of `him being dead ?` you said you`d mention it - Dave

Dont know where Billy"s son Derek is now or for that matter any of the Eastville riders except that a second-halfer by the name of Richard Hodgson keeps a greengrocery shop on the Long cross in Lawrence Weston Bristol. The best bet to catch up with Johnnie Hole is to call in at the Midland Road Garage in Bath where you should find his uncle Johnnie Hole.If you do see either of them please ask if pre-war lady rider Vera Hole was related.Regarding the Eastville stars quite a few obviously live abroad however sadly the following are no longer with us; Tom Leadbitter,Soren Sjosten and Danny Kennedy. Saw Edger Stangeland being interviewed in the bar at Exeters  last meeting-he now farms in Ireland and does a great irish accent!.

As an aside I used to go to loads of meetings with Richards dad (Reg) years ago when Richard was a young lad. Interestingly Reg was mechanic to Mike Beddoe when he rode for Bristol many years ago (40's or early 50's)

Hi SqueakyFrekey-unusual name ! Rich was recently telling me about his dad and the interest he had with grasstrack and speedway. Hopefully I will be seeing him on Saturday so will mention this to him - unless he sees your message beforehand.

Guest speedyguy

I am certain that Vera Hole rode speedway in the 1930s under the name Sonny Somerset. I either read it in a book about Crystal Palace Speedway or in VSM. Can't be certain. Have neither books now.

I also recall the Hole family in 1947 - Billy, Graham, Johnnie and I think two more of them racing at Knowle Stadium. Or am I getting muddled in my old age like Mike Baldwin in 'Coronation Street'?

I remember Johnnie as a very good rider at Southampton in the 1950s and probably early 1960s too.

Hi speedyguy, you are correct - as regards Vera Hole. she did ride on the speedway circuit. Not sure exactly what relationship she had with the `Hole` brothers. Maybe an aunty or older sister. If you can remember back to the 40s - 60s it is doubtful that you are loosing your `marbles` mate.

Hi Speedguy,I think that you are thinking of Eric Salmon who I believe was related to the Holes by marriage. There was also Roger Wise and Jack Mountford.

Hello Knowle, Eric Salmons missus might be `Vera` - alias `Sonny Somerset` . I know that he married into the Hole family. His family ran the Post Office in Englishcombe near Bath

hi bulldog 77/78 Vera Hole must be of the previous generation to Eric Salmon. No doubt Johnnie Hole would know now he is back in the land of the living! We badly need the Bulldogs back now that Reading have pinched the nickname!

Hello Bulldog 77/78 ref my post yesterday I must be getting confused in my old age ! It was of course Derek Hole who was thought to have left us , Johnnie Hole never went anywhere ! UP the (Bristol) Bulldogs ! Also I have just spotted a 1952 Wembley programme which says that Jack Mountford (not Eric Salmon) was related to the Holes by marriage. Confusion reigns!.

Edited by Knowle