British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sir Lunchalot

Belated Broadford Results - 13th November

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I'm finally catching up with a few reports. It's a bit late but hopefully better late than never.

The meeting was robbed of much of its anticipated excitement because only 2 of the 13 NSW riders made it to Broadford. It was understandable in some instances with injuries and bike problems but still disappointing for the fans none the less. I would have loved to see Jack Stevens going around, I think he would of loved it. Coupled with the tragic events of the night before it left the numbers leaner than originally planned. On the plus side was the appearance of visiting British riders Daniel Warwick and Jessica Lamb. Warwick looked useful especially given it was his first look at the track. Jessica was on borrowed machinery and did not disgrace herself by any means

For the 2005/06 season the club has come up with a novel innovation of four "mystery" finals for the top four senior solos with prizemoney for each final of $500. The mystery part is that the riders don't know in advance and it's not till the day of the meeting that they find out if it's a potential pay day. It's a nice idea by the club and I'm sure much appreciated by the riders. The day featured the first of the mystery finals and Corey Gathercole continuing his good form from the

previous night won the final from Tyron Proctor, Daniel Warwick and Sam Dore. Gathercole looked super quick and was doing times for 3 laps of under 52 seconds. That's as quick as I've seen anyone go round Broadford since Leigh Adams & Jason Crump were at Broadford about 4 years ago for the Neil Street meeting. I looked at www.ausm.info and the track record is listed there as 53.15 seconds and I wouldn't be surprised if Gathercole's best time of 51.40 is a new track record for the three lap journey.

Scores - 4 rides each

C Gathercole 12

D Warwick 10

T Proctor 9

S Dore 9

P Bogdanowicz 6

K Ezergailis 5 (Incl 2 DNF's)

J Godden 4

J Lamb 4

Q Byrne 3

J Anderson 3 (1st senior meeting, up from juniors last year)

T Fenton 1

Final

Gathercole, Proctor, Warwick, Dore

In the over 30's with Mick Evans not riding and Jack Stevens not making the trip a bit further south Wayne Morrison with 3 wins and a DNS had things pretty much his own way. Visiting NSW pair of Neil Brett & Ray MacCarthy hopefully enjoyed their visit to Broadford but finished in the bottom half of the points.

Highlight of the afternoon racng wise were the classic sidecars. Ken Walker / Maree Chapman & Dave Cottrell / Peter Vipond were as often as not side by side going down each straight and into the turns and it was thrilling to watch. The respect and trust in each others ability was evident as they raced feet apart with neither putting so much as a wheel out of place. Brillant stuff indeed. They were evenly matched with both combinations taking two race wins each.

In the 250 sidecars taking the honours it was evergreen Craig Fordham who had three wins in the normal heats and a second in the final race which was a handicap. All three sidecar classes had a handicap as their final race and even though the racing was close and exciting I can see some handicaps being very quickly reviewed !!