British Speedway Forum

Does this new Wembley have a roof? If not then the weather factor means Cardiff will always be ahead as well as welcoming all of you down here for a great time that somehow I think would just get lost at Wembley

Edited by AmberCelt

Well, it has a roof over the spectators, but not, I think, a sliding roof a la Cardiff.

However, the old Wembley was owned by Wembley plc, whereas the new Wembley is owned by the speedway-loving FA.

Who wants speedway back at Wembley? Not me for starters. What has Wembley got to offer that Cardiff hasn't? No bars, shops, restaurants at wembley. Noting there but a stadium, stick out on a limb away from the centre of London.

Cardiff is smack bang in the middle of the city, parking is easy, and its far far better than Wembley ever was, albeit the crowd was bigger back then.

But for me, I I should imagine, the majority of fans who attend Cardiff, it's a no brainer.

100% behind Steve on this one.

Who wants speedway back at Wembley?

Cardiff is smack bang in the middle of the city, parking is easy,

If it was my post you were relying to, I suggested Wembley should be on the GP calendar in addition to Cardiff.

You are kidding aren't you? :rolleyes:

Cardiff wins every time. The day they move speedway (back) to Wembley is the day I stop going to the British GP. The Cardiff weekend isn't just an event now it's a speedway institution. :D

Cardiff wins every time. The day they move speedway (back) to Wembley is the day I stop going to the British GP.

Goodness me..: isn't anyone going to stick up for London on this one..??!!

As Kevin says he (and I.. - and we don't ALWAYS agree, eh, KH..??!!) wasn't suggesting Wembley instead of Cardiff but in addition.

IMO, the new Olympic Stadium would probably be a better bet...: no football 'baggage' there and will have the happy coincidence of being so close to the former home of Hackney Speedway.

All I'd say is, haven't some of you just considered the difference in profile, though, a GP (or better still a proper World Final) at Wembley (or otherwise in London - eg after 2012 in the Olympic Stadium) would have. I don't exactly see the national media fallin' over themselves to cover the annual meeting in South Wales..!!!??

Goodness me..: isn't anyone going to stick up for London on this one..??!!

As Kevin says he (and I.. - and we don't ALWAYS agree, eh, KH..??!!) wasn't suggesting Wembley instead of Cardiff but in addition.

IMO, the new Olympic Stadium would probably be a better bet...: no football 'baggage' there and will have the happy coincidence of being so close to the former home of Hackney Speedway.

All I'd say is, haven't some of you just considered the difference in profile, though, a GP (or better still a proper World Final) at Wembley (or otherwise in London - eg after 2012 in the Olympic Stadium) would have.  I don't exactly see the national media fallin' over themselves to cover the annual meeting in South Wales..!!!??

The same national media who whine about having to go to Cardiff for Cup Finals because they have to get off their fat London butts.Most football and RL fans seem to prefer Cardiff because ,as we know,it is a great day out.

10 years ago in early 1996, as a Newport fan we had been without speedway for 18 and a half years. Cardiff, Neath and Newport were long gone and it looked as if we fans "over the bridge" would have to continue getting our fix elsewhere. Here we are in 2006 and Newport is entering its 10th season in the new era and Cardiff is established as THE event in the whole of the speedway calendar. How surreal is that? Thank you Tim Stone and thank you BSI!

Edited by philcrumpisgod

Here we are in 2006 and Newport is entering its 10th season in the new era and Cardiff is established as THE event in the whole of the speedway calendar. How surreal is that? Thank you Tim Stone and thank you BSI!

I can't see how anyone can argue with that :approve: - and long may it continue.

and the signature:

"jason crump is the son of god"

erm

or should it be:

"son of a rather good rider" ? ...

Totally agree with everyone here that Cardiff should be left alone. The city has everything within a stones throw of the stadium, lots of bars and shops etc. I cannot see us being awarded an additional GP at the moment but you never know and the only time I would think that Wembley would replace Cardiff is when and I say when as it will happen, we reach maximum capacity for the British GP at Cardiff and they have to look elsewhere in order for the stage to grow.

For me it is just as easy to get to Cardiff as London as I can fly or drive. I have been to Hackney and I do not know London that well but I can imagine Wembley will be the same as Hackney in that, it is stuck out in the middle of nowhere with nothing around it, so if you arrive early, you have nothing to do for the rest of the day until the event starts, unlike Cardiff, where you can have a good drink and a chat with fellow fans and a bit of shopping for the ladies as well.

So Cardiff gets my vote everytime.

For me it is just as easy to get to Cardiff as London as I can fly or drive.  I have been to Hackney and I do not know London that well but I can imagine Wembley will be the same as Hackney in that, it is stuck out in the middle of nowhere with nothing around it, so if you arrive early, you have nothing to do for the rest of the day until the event starts, unlike Cardiff, where you can have a good drink and a chat with fellow fans and a bit of shopping for the ladies as well.

Hmm, notwithstanding the fact that NO-ONE has suggested replacing Cardiff with a London Venue (Wembley or the Olympic Stadium)..: I do feel that I've entered the twilight zone here...!!

LONDON is now apparently a place in the middle of nowhere; where's there's nothing to do; and now, we hear: no shops or pubs..??!!

And it's strange how Football fans have in the main been longing for the return of Wembley having had many problems with travel and especially accomadation during the time the FA Cup Final's been in Cardiff..??!!

LONDON is now apparently a place in the middle of nowhere; where's there's nothing to do; and now, we hear: no shops or pubs..??!!

No, the point being made is that Wembley, rather like Twickenham, is a rather faceless suburb of London. You're surely not going to claim that Wembley is only a stone's throw from Oxford Street?

Just a thought ...If you were BSI and running the GP and there was a new Stadium would you not want to get in and be the first company to hold a speedway meeting at Wembley...think of all that money coming in.

And not from Reading either