British Speedway Forum

I`m from Sharp Retail Systems who sponsored the ELRC and the way we we`re treated by the Poole Promotion was First Class and a really joy to deal with !

They gave us a free run to put adverts wherever we wanted around the stadium but due to logistics problems getting some of the banners in time for the meeting we didn`t have as many as we would of liked but still felt we got or would have got great value for money if the meeting had been completed ! I guess now we have a second bite of the cherry too !

it really puzzles me why speedway doesn`t attached more sponsors as value for money it`s one of the best !

we would of loved to have race jackets for the riders with our logo`s on at the ELRC and who knows we may do at the restaged meeting !

I`m from Sharp Retail Systems who sponsored the ELRC and the way we we`re treated by the Poole Promotion was First Class and a really joy to deal with !

They gave us a free run to put adverts wherever we wanted around the stadium but due to logistics problems getting some of the banners in time for the meeting we didn`t have as many as we would of liked but still felt we got or would have got great value for money if the meeting had been completed ! I guess now we have a second bite of the cherry too !

it really puzzles me why speedway doesn`t attached more sponsors as value for money it`s one of the best !

we would of loved to have race jackets for the riders with our logo`s on at the ELRC and who knows we may do at the restaged meeting !

nice of you to comment, and i am glad that you were treated well by all concerned at poole.

it appeared that they were doing everything to promote their own advertisers as well during the afternoon(cleaning banners on centre green), which makes very good business sense.

What i struggle to understand, and perhaps you or someone else can enlighten me is, who sells the sponsorship for the meeting?

I read somewhere that promotions bid? for the opportuntity to stage the event ,is this so??

If this is the case do they put the sponsorship against the cost of running the meeting, and where does any profit(if there is any) go.

what role do the BSPA have, if any with selling the event

I feel like you, that sponsorship in speedway looks undersold, but if there is no one selling it at the highest level,its not that surprising!!

Edited by weymouth alicat

We were sold the sponsorship by the Poole promotion and as for the other stuff i.e profits etc i don`t know where it goes !

Edited by POP-UP PIRATE

We were sold the sponsorship by the Poole promotion and as for the other stuff i.e profits etc i don`t know where it goes !

anyone else any idea??

WRONG,THAT IS THE WHOLE IDEA OF SPONSORSHIP, IF YOU WANT THE SPORT TO GROW AND FLOURISH ANY SPONSOR, LAST MINUTE OR NOT IS WELCOME IN MY EYES,AS LONG AS THE PRICE IS RIGHT.
So (sticking with Belle Vue), Belle Vue have a sponsor who has paid to be on the front of the Belle Vue race jacket all year at every wmeeting where Belle Vue are being represented, they thinkm, "Great, Crumpy wins the ELRC and we'll have great coverage". Imagine there horror when they find out that there logo has disapeared and instead some other sponsor is over the front of the rider. Whats thats sponsor going to think? "Stuff this crap, I'll keep my money and not bother sponsoring for a full season, I'll jump in and sponsor the ELRC next season". They go away, forget about next seaosn ELRc and the sport never see's there money again.

Whe a compnay has paid to be on the Belle Vue race jacket for the season, they should be there for the season, not most of it but not the ELRC or the Pairs because some sponsor has come along for the event!

In 2001, Nepwort got a sponsor purely off the back of the 4TT on Sky, imagine they had agreed to sponsor Newport and on the day they found out that someone else was sponsoring the meeting and they did not get the coverage?!

Can you imagine the FA turning down a prospective sponsor of the FA Cup because they didnt want to upset club sponsors,i think not
Can you imagine the sponsors of the two finalists being happy that the sponsorship place (the players shirt) they had paid for was replaced by some othger company on the single biggest day for the sponsor/club?! The sponsor (original, not johnny come late!) would be a bit p'd off!

I know when the PLRC was on Sky (2004), Sheffield Speedway/.the BSPA wanted the rider to put front forks with "Sheffield Window Centre" on their bikes. The riders told them to get stuffed as there sponsors had paid for the right to have there front forks for the seaosn, not just select meetings!

Being disloyal to sponsors is a good way to p' them off, all for the sake of someone who has sponsored 1 meeting, if they really wantt he coverage, sponsor the riders for a full season!

ok SCB i take your point about club sponsors, but i did say in my previous post that there is room for both club and meeting sponsor on a race jacket ( just like football with club sponsor on front and event sponsor on sleeves).

This still doesnt change the general argument though.

Here we have an ideal opportunity to promote the sport and help it financially and we dont seem professional enough.

If you have read all the posts on this thread you will have read the comments of the gentleman from Sharp Retail Systems who was impressed by his dealings with Poole Speedway,which i am pleased about, and i take your point re not p*****g off sponsors, hopefully he will come back again and support the sport.( i know he does anyway)

But my main point (and it was confirmed by the gentleman) is that he was sold the package by Poole Speedway and not the governing body.

Can you imagine the Football Association or indeed the F I M holding their premier event at the millenium stadium, and then allowing the stadium promotion team to sell the event to prospective sponsors and advertisers.

The idea is to rent the stadium for the day and promote the event yourself, if of course you have the personel in place to do so.

What is required is a structured system, where the BSPA have their own promotion team( is there one ,i still cant get an answer) and they are in contact with all the relevant people at the various clubs, and the riders themselves, to promote the sport in the best way possible.

To finish ,please think on this one , a "johnny come lately company" for instance come along as Sponsors of a one off event, they are so impressed the come back again next year, and eventually they sit down with the previously mentioned promotion team and agree to sponsor the Premier League for 5 years.

Now wouldnt that be a shot in the arm for the sport.

There is enough food at the table for all, it just needs someone to dish it out

Edited by weymouth alicat