British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Old Bikes

Anyone want to discuss old bikes with me. Douglas Rudge Jap etc for definite but the others too. AJS BSA Scott and all.

either on this forum or by email

Was there ever a Harley Davidson speedeway bike?

I was browsing books in a charity shop and found a book about HDs. I was looking for flat-track history but came across one photo - the caption said speedway was popular in Britain in the 1920s (!) - and it showed in the background a late 1920s BSA speedway bike and in the foreground was what was claimed to be a HD speedway bike.

It was not an historic photo and was obviously of restored bikes and probably taken at a show somewhere in recent years, most likely the early 1980s. But the HD was certainly designed for speedway and looked much like the speedway BSA.

As most of the book was of little interest to me, I didn't buy the book. But since then I have been left wondering about HDs on the speedway.

Was there ever a Harley Davidson speedeway bike?

I was browsing books in a charity shop and found a book about HDs. I was looking for flat-track history but came across one photo - the caption said speedway was popular in Britain in the 1920s (!) - and it showed in the background a late 1920s BSA speedway bike and in the foreground was what was claimed to be a HD speedway bike.

It was not an historic photo and was obviously of restored bikes and probably taken at a show somewhere in recent years, most likely the early 1980s. But the HD was certainly designed for speedway and looked much like the speedway BSA.

As most of the book was of little interest to me, I didn't buy the book. But since then I have been left wondering about HDs on the speedway.

I have pictures of a BSA speedway Bike and a couple of HD's on my website www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk

The BSA was the poor mans speedway bike. Harley made a single cylinder "peashooter for speedway but Indian v twins were used on speedway

can you scan the pictures and email them to me so I can identify them properly

I have pictures of a BSA speedway Bike and a couple of HD's on my website www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk

The BSA was the poor mans speedway bike.  Harley made a single cylinder "peashooter for speedway but Indian  v twins were used on speedway

can you scan the pictures and email them to me so I can identify them properly

Sorry: as I said I saw the photo in a book in a charity shop.

I din't buy it because 99.9 per cent of the contents had no interest for me.

Edited by speedyguy