British Speedway Forum
T.N.T.

British U-18's Championship

You looked lonely

That wasn't loneliness. I'd just farted so nobody wanted to stand next to me. :oops::P

Hey I couldnt mark my progamme, I needed someone to lend me a pen...

And whos fault was that? :rolleyes:

No wonder you have a season ticket

I said head not face. :oops:

Can't agree that Tai Woffiden was boring to watch, his gate and drive around the first bend (you needed to be in the pits to really appreciate it)  in heat 18 was something to see, as was the cool manner this young man dealt with the evening, definately on his way to the top.

That move works very nicely when there's a nice line of damp dirt around the outside late on. The other line is right against the curb on the exit of turn two. The bit in the middle is not usually the fastest late on. I'm not taking anything away from him at all...just a bit of Monmore insight for next time. ;)

Lee Smart who recently has shown a marked improvement especially in pressure events such as the CLRC, Best Pairs and last night.

Not sure about that. He tailed off when the pressure was on.

Sad to see Ben Hopwood have to withdraw injured, hopefully he will be alright to take his place in Saturdays U15 Final at Redcar

It was said to be an old injury that he'd given a whack. Hopefully it will settle down after a couple of days.

Not sure about that.  He tailed off when the pressure was on.

Well if you look purely at points scored in his last two rides then yes, but looking at who he was up against, I would suggest you are being somewhat unfair to Smart.

It was said to be an old injury that he'd given a whack.  Hopefully it will settle down after a couple of days.

Fingers crossed on that one.

Phil,

As I've mentioned a couple of times I don't watch lower league speedway. This is for no other reasons than I was brought up on a diet of the worlds best and prefer to watch the best ride, and the fact that I can't afford to go to as much speedway as I'd like. I really enjoy this meeting, and always look forward to it.

Everything I've said is just based on what I saw, and taken entirely at face value. I accept and understand that I'm in no position to analyse the riders performances as I would the Elite League riders.

:)

*edit* Any none regulars that enjoyed the match last night should try to get along to the Olympique a week on Monday. That's always a great nights speedway.

(esp. when Greg was showing the home riders how to do it :approve::wink: )

Edited by 21st century heathen

Fair comment , we are all entitled to our views.

Like you I really enjoy this meeting, long may it continue

No probs. Always nice to be able to air our views without the b!tching that appears on most threads these days.

As you are more familiar with this level of speedway could you tell me if there were any shocks on last night performances? Was everyone about where you'd expect? Anyone that really shone on the night? Anyone let themselves down on the night? etc...

:)

No real shocks tbh, everything actually paned out as expected.

The two Buxton lads have certainly made an impression this year (Roberts & Taylor), and confirmed that during the meeting.

The main players forgetting Bridger, i.i Barker, Woffiden, Hargreaves, Betson all performed as would have been hoped, as I said previously Smart seems to be on an upturn at the moment and probably could do with the season going on another three months :)

Young Haines and Hopwood showed their potential, and I guess if one rider did suprise me it was Jamie Westacott, you rode well for his seven points.

I thought Robert Mear would do better, as he has impressed me greatly this season, but I guess that crash when he hit the fence in his first ride shook him up :unsure:

Their is certainly some young talent around at the moment, hopefully a few if not many will progress,

Thanks.

I think you're right about Mear. Thankfully he got striaght up, and seemed physically okay. He may well have scared himself have to death though. He went in to the bottom turn with way way too much speed. As I said to someone on Monday night Simon Stead and Charlie Gjedde in full flight take that bend faster than anybody, but I don't think even they would have gone in like that. :D

Charlie always makes us laugh at Monmore. He carries scary speed through turn 3/4, but then isn't quite sure what to do with it all when gets back into turns 1/2. It usually ends up with him drifting out frighteningly close to the fence, or turning himself inside out trying to scrub some speed off. :D

Guest Babe619
In that case...it's a good job you hadn't got a coat on because rumour has it coats make you look like a right fat heifer.

I was nice to you!! :o:cry:

Hey I couldnt mark my progamme, I needed someone to lend me a pen...

It was your own fault - you can't be trusted with pens :P

That comment was sarcastic not nasty. As I said to you on Monday you're about 4' 6", weigh about 5½ stone, and couldn't look fat in a coat even if you wanted to. At one point I thought the breeze was going to blow you off your heels!!!

:D:P:D

edit - Anyway it was you that said you hadn't put a coat on because they make you look fat...not me. Women!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by 21st century heathen

Thanks.

I think you're right about Mear.  Thankfully he got striaght up, and seemed physically okay.  He may well have scared himself have to death though.  He went in to the bottom turn with way way too much speed.  As I said to someone on Monday night Simon Stead and Charlie Gjedde in full flight take that bend faster than anybody, but I don't think even they would have gone in like that.   :D  

Charlie always makes us laugh at Monmore.  He carries scary speed through turn 3/4, but then isn't quite sure what to do with it all when gets back into turns 1/2.  It usually ends up with him drifting out frighteningly close to the fence, or turning himself inside out trying to scrub some speed off.   :D

Think Mear was doing about a hundred and twenty miles an hour when he went into the corner was never,ever going to make it.

The ref's rubbish excuse that she was "watching the race and the buttons are so close together so i pressed the wrong button as i couldn't take my eyes off the track!!" just doesn't hold water as far as i'm concerned because once two riders are on the deck there is NO race to watch. :mad:

Edited by boss 2

The ref's rubbish excuse that she was "watching the race and the buttons are so close together so i pressed the wrong button as i couldn't take my eyes off the track!!" just doesn't hold water as far as i'm concerned because once two riders are on the deck there is NO race to watch. :mad:

Take your point, but is that "I couldn't take my eyes off the track" a direct quote?

It's a shame so few people will read this thread because it really is worth highlighhting how poor the ref was in this heat.

I found Woffinden boring to watch, although he did very well.

Barker was very impressive, and well worth watching.

Hargreaves was solid, without really having to do much.

Lewis was a cut above the rest.  Especially in his first ride when he was having problems with the bike on the first lap.  So many riders would have just pulled off the track but he just refused to give up, and managed to get it running properly.  He managed to get past Westacott without too much hassle, but had lost a hell of a lot of ground on Hargreaves.  He just reeled him in to take the lead.  That was such a good ride, and not the only time he had to come through from the back.  From an entertainment point of view let's hope he never learns to gate.  :D

Certainly the right 3 made the podium.

Greg Hancock who personally invited to his testimonal in Sweden dosen't seem to think he is boring.

Regarding which nationality these riders should ride for is not established until he or she has competed in a senior national championship, not where they where born. Tai was born in England,holds a british racing licence because he was not old enough to take out anything else. British fans should push for him to ride for England !

Why? It's up to the individual, and has nothing to do with anyone else.

Although I hope he'll take advice from those closest to him.

Being a Brit, with a British passport, would make building a career in Europe easier.

Take your point, but is that "I couldn't take my eyes off the track" a direct quote?

It was direct quote from the explanation referee gave to the local press.