British Speedway Forum
Loose Trapper 1

Halifax Speedway

Guest Donsking

This might sound stupid, but is there a Halifax Battalion of the Yorkshire Army Regiment that have a connection to the Far East?

You often find that when Elephants appear in modern British Heraldry, it's due to an Army connection with India particularly; they adopt the Elephant as part of their colours, then bring it back to the UK and it rubs off on town logos and club badges.

I haven't checked, but does an Elephant feature in the logo of Halifax town?

I know there's a well known brewer that have an Elephant in their logo because they got presented with a carved one by their local Army Regiment.

Guest Donsking

Just to add to that, did a bit of searching (google is your friend!) and it turns out there's an historic building in Halifax called Hope Hall who's most important resident was one Charles Rawson who moved there in 1808 following his marriage (at no lesser place than Westminster Abbey), and was a Lieutenant with the East India Company; he was important enough to be offered a Knighthood by George III, which he turned down, and instead went back to Halifax and joined his family banking business until his death in 1849.

Pound to a penny that's the Elephant connection.

Pound to a penny that's the Elephant connection.

You can read all about the 'Dukes' and how the elephant insignia came into being here:

http://www.dwr.org.uk/dwr.php?id=52

Used to really enjoy going to the Shay after a couple of pints of Whittaker's.

You can read all about the 'Dukes' and how the elephant insignia came into being here:

http://www.dwr.org.uk/dwr.php?id=52

Used to really enjoy going to the Shay after a couple of pints of Whittaker's.

Could have slipped in a speedway reference somewhere amongst all that text.

I'd like to know who I should shoot, for the one off change to the elephants head

Regards. :angry:

PS.

or was it a Swan :blink: