British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Finnish News

Was 1 Divisioona this year ?

If it was please let me know final table 2007 and riders who rode.

Go back for a few pages and check for Kaupunki Cup. Thats our 1st division. The reason why it's called Kaupunki Cup is because Challenge matches between cities have a license that cost's nothing compared to a league or division match.

Riders were free to ride in any team they chose, this today and that tomorrow so I left the team names off the average list.

Cheers Mate :)

Jari Mäkinen PAHOLAISET/8/88/48/7,33

#1 Finnish prospect. Has had a very busy season and plans for a busier next season. Dominated the U21 final but missed due to other commitments the other national finals. Good bikes that are only getting better for next season.

"About my next season, I will ride in Allsvenskan in Sweden. Of course there is one thing which is shining in my eyes... It is a dream to be racing for some club in UK! "

What's the inside information on Jari for 2008?

Any chance of a UK team place?

Any chance of a Polish team place? Especially after his good showing at that practice session at Rybnik.

"About my next season, I will ride in Allsvenskan in Sweden. Of course there is one thing which is shining in my eyes... It is a dream to be racing for some club in UK! "

What's the inside information on Jari for 2008? Any chance of a UK team place?

Any chance of a Polish team place? Especially after his good showing at that practice session at Rybnik.

There were people in Edinburgh to see him, shame he only showed them how to hit the fence. He will try again this weekend in Glasgow in the Ashfield Classic. I believe things look good for UK next season.

Polish contract is a possibility, nothing certain yet, not even an offer on the table. Equipment wise he's set for next season, unless he hits the fence again. :wink:

Masarna.nu has him as a certain starter for Örnarna in the Allsvenskan. This isn't news since he was lowering his average by retiring his heats late in the season this year.

Every team in Finland is after him... Only problem is the money, which is a joke for a rider trying to gather money to buy better parts for his bikes and trying to establish himself in other leagues and countries.

Seinäjoki Speedway in clips here.

Went through them quickly and have to say that Mustonen and Siltaniemi looked good.

Edited by f-s-p

I try to find final table Divisioona 1 of 2002 and 2000 ?

Anyone can help me ?

Thank you f-s-p

Maybe you have list of riders with avarages ? If you do not have avarages send me although list of riders.

Finland to follow Denmark?

The Finnish season was discussed last saturday at Tampere between the powers that be and the clubs that were present.

Extraliiga didn't get a great review, but that was the fault of the clubs that wanted it to be ridden the way it was. This was well known even before the meeting.

Updating this year's league format with the knowledge gathered wasn't an option however for next year. Yrjö Laukkanen as our #1 decleared that the Danish format is the way forward, teams have until December 15th to tell whether they take part or not. If not enough teams come forward (minimum 4) there wont be a league next year, but other competitions only. He had nothing to back his opinion, just a spreadsheet he had copied from the internet and the fact that he's been to a couple of the meetings. No feedback from Denmark on if it was good or not...

A few dates were given and they will all still change because FIM and UEM havent declared their calendars yet. Haapajärvi got the Individual final, Forssa U21 final (held at Hyvinkää), Forssa longtrack, Vaasa Nordic longtrack (unless the danes want to keep it) and Kauhajoki got the pairs. Ice racing final will be at Seinäjoki.

The U21 World's qualifier is at Pori, but the date is far from certain. I dont know how much say the SML has in it, but the people at Pori are desperate to postpone it with a week or two from the date by dutchgrasstrack on another thread.

Then there was talk on how to get more Finnish riders in to the foreign leagues. Joni Keskinen has apparently been offered a contract to ride in the Polish 2nd division... :rolleyes: The challenge match between Scotland and Finland was also mentioned and that Tero Aarnio looks good for a contract in the UK next season.

Laukkanen has a vision for the future of Finnish speedway and the future looks great!

But how will we get there and who's left to enjoy it... :neutral:

Edited by f-s-p

The challenge match between Scotland and Finland was also mentioned and that Tero Aarnio looks good for a contract in the UK next season.

Aarnio was the rider who caught my eye in that challenge match even though he didn't score much. However his average could be a sticking point.

Aarnio was the rider who caught my eye in that challenge match even though he didn't score much. However his average could be a sticking point.

The same goes with Mäkinen apparently. For what I've heard Mäkinen didn't exactly sell himself yesterday. Track conditions were against him and the track was new too... We will see... :P

Very interesting winter ahead!

Edited by f-s-p

Nothing positive to note on the Finnish speedway front... I do know that the clubs are practically laughing at the proposition to move to the Danish league format. I've been told that two from last years six clubs wont put up a team next year if the changes take place. I know a third club that wont do it either. That leaves three of which one will do it if they need to and two that will probably enter the league but fail/fold at some point.

The Kopparberg team that we had last year that looked better than any continental team in Europe is apparently gone now too. I remember writing something about a fallout between the "manager" and the club and the fallout became a reality when the Vaasa club recently said through their spokesman that they wont be tracking a team in next years league. When asked about "Kopparberg" he said thats a one mans team that has nothing to do with us. So read the post's starting from last November how great it looked. Now it's all gone. :cry::angry:

I've been promised a "red flag"-type of column/letter in a few weeks time to voice some of the opinions in the riders camp. That will surely turn some faces red... :approve:

On the ice racing front I have no dates to give out but I do know that one more new bike has been bought! (iris123 loves to know this! :lol: ) hopefully the older bike has found a new owner already and we have a new rider for next season. They havent cancelled the 2006 Individual final at Oulu yet (December 29th). :o

The "minutes" from the annual meeting were published yesterday and they indeed clearly state that if not more than four clubs enter the league based on the Danish format there wont be a Finnish Champion at all next year. Instead other competions will be ridden. I think it was 1953 when the first Finnish league title was decided. There was a gap in the 60's and 70's but a Finnish champion has been declared every year for the past 30+ years.

Next year it seems there wont be one, since the man in charge thinks that we need to do it with a new format that put's 2+2 riders in each heat. The goal is to have six teams in the league and to ride on sundays with three matches taking place simultaneously and in total giving five matches both home/away. Compared to what we had last season this would mean so much more work and finances that I just cant see it happen.

:blink: