British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Former Crayford Riders

Thinking about that Crayford reunion as a possible event during one of Sittingbourne's matches this year..: has anyone a preferred date among the following:

July 1st. (when Plymouth are the visitors)

August 19th. vs. the 'old enemy' Rye House

September 2nd. vs. Oxford

The Rye House match has an obvious appeal..: and I guess Uncle Len (once Crayford's co-promoter..) would be in attendance plus maybe Steve Naylor..  But then the fact that none other than the legend that is Bryn Williams is the Oxford CL team's Chairman (and, he's asked me to say, 2005 CL winning Team Manager..!!) might make September 2nd. a good date...?

There are other CL dates at the Old Gun Site obviously but thought summer might be better and gives more time to organise..: and maybe get sponsors for a proper commemorative second half event..: perhaps for the Del Lewis trophy..??

Any old Highwaymen/Kestrels out there..: it's your event, what do you think..?? :unsure:

Goota go for August, to allow for the weather having a 50/50 chance of being good!

Goota go for August, to allow for the weather having a 50/50 chance of being good!

Now, now Kenny..: as we both know the weather is ALWAYS good at Iwade.. ;)

(Hmm, this is easy for me to say as I'm always tucked up nice and warm in the announcers box whereas you're a-top another of the gun turrets freezing your proverbials off..!! :) )

August 19th. looking favourite then..?? :unsure:

The Sainsbury at crayford is good for fresh salad etc, it has a Homebase adjunct to it. A very big car park which seems to always be busy. With this little napkin sized stadium as you depart from sainsbury, i question the supposed size of the dog track, and question the viability of a speedway circuit.

Its only a ten to fifteen minute drive from where I live, but just not big enough for any kind of speedway with engines, Tuesdays at crayford sadly will never return. Sundays at sainsbury, unfortunately a different story

What about paul woods, les rumsey, steve naylor,trevor barnwell, mick pither and of course Mr hackney , ie Barry Thomas, they all rode for the kestrels.

My wife has still got a crayford teddy bear complete with body cover.

The new stadium (well built in 1985 so not exactly 'new' anymore!!) is an entirely functional animal.  Indeed, I wouldn't really go as far as calling it a Stadium at all.  There's effectively just a dog track (and a small one at that) encompassed on three 'sides' (alright an oval can't have three sides, but you get my drift!? :blink: ) with just the boundary wall; and the only viewing area is offered by a (reasonably plush with restaurant facilities included) grandstand and a small bookies and standing area outside at the front of this stand.

The lighting stanchions have out of necessity to be placed on the centre green and the location of these more than anything else (plus the too small size) make putting in a Speedway circuit inside the dog track a literal impossibility.

mick cast:

Welcome to the best thread on the whole BSF!!! ;)

Above is a section of a posting I made before about that travesty of a dog track in the old car park..! As you can see there's, sadly, no question of a Speedway track being viable.. :mad::mad:

I made before about that travesty of a dog track in the old car park..! 

PITS carpark to be a little pedantic Parsnips! :wink:

Peter Thorogood, Alan Sage and Laurie Etheridge were Crayford in my view :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Not forgetting, on our travels, double tactical substitute in heat 8! :wink::lol:

Peter Thorogood, Alan Sage and Laurie Etheridge were Crayford in my view :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Agree with that.

Dont remember much about PG, but LE and AS were around in my late 1970's stint at the House.

QUOTE (Kent Boy @ Dec 18 2006, 11:28 AM)

Which included Brad Dowsett, Richard Newnham, Keith Cornell, Nick Smith and Mark Terry. What ever happened to them blink.gif

Putting aside the controversy of 'Goodwingate' wink.gif , there are a few obscure-ish names in that list, KB..!!

Here's a challenge..: what about, whatever happened to the 14 riders in Highwaymen/Kestrels history with three or fewer league appearances..??!

You've already mentioned Richard Newnham and Keith Cornell with just two official appearances each as Kestrels; as did Richard Willis in '75. In the earlier incarnation, someone called Ian Spencer appeared twice for the Highwaymen..: did he pop up later at Kingsmead..??

Those with three appearances only are Tony Brooks and three far more famous names: Arthur Price who went onto to win the Second Division Riders champs with Boston; Dingle Brown ( a recent associate of mine in Womble-land but soon, I hear, heading for sunnier climes..!!) and the late Vic Harding.

There were a handful riders in Crayford league history with just a solitary appearance to their names. Anyone know what happened to this famous (or maybe not so..!!) five: Peter Gay, Cyril Hathaway, Terry Barclay, Nigel Sparshott and Ian Fletcher. I can fill in details of Terry..: he's one of the brave boys in blue in Sussex. No, not a Brighton & Hove Albion footballer…!!!!

Which leaves just one on the list and this is THE enigma I've puzzled over for over thirty years!!

In the Kestrels' opening two matches in '75 (away at Crewe, home to Boston) the rider at number seven (scoreless in both matches) was named as Dave Howard.

Yet when the team photo was taken at that same opening NNL home fixture the guy wearing the no. 7 race-jacket is most certainly the rider who appeared there for most of the rest of that opening season, Bill Archer.

Whilst I can understand why Howard lost his slot to Archer, I could never fathom out how come the team photo taken that day before the match included Bill and not Dave Howard..!! And I seem to recall when the Star printed the team pic on the inside back cover some weeks later he was named as Howard.

I've always wondered, were they, in fact ,one & the same person; and for some reason Archer called himself Howard in those first two matches…!!

Any thoughts..??!!

Cyril Hathaway emigrated to Christchurch New Zealand late October 1973. After a short period he went up to Hamilton in the North Island where he dabbled in Speedway at the local Khi Khi track. Somewhere around 1980 Cyril (ces) went to Australia where he flew helicopters for a living.

Ces married for the second time and had one daughter.

On October 20th 2006 whilst working in Papua New Guinea flying helicopters Ces along with 3/4 other people all died when they crashed into trees.

I know all this because Ces lived with me in NZ and over a 40 year period we became very good friends.

The one regret we all have is that I nor any of his family have any photos of Ces doing his thing in the dirt if anybody can help in this regard that would be superb.

Keep it sideways

John

QUOTE (Kent Boy @ Dec 18 2006, 11:28 AM)

Which included Brad Dowsett, Richard Newnham, Keith Cornell, Nick Smith and Mark Terry. What ever happened to them blink.gif

Putting aside the controversy of 'Goodwingate' wink.gif , there are a few obscure-ish names in that list, KB..!!

Here's a challenge..: what about, whatever happened to the 14 riders in Highwaymen/Kestrels history with three or fewer league appearances..??!

You've already mentioned Richard Newnham and Keith Cornell with just two official appearances each as Kestrels; as did Richard Willis in '75. In the earlier incarnation, someone called Ian Spencer appeared twice for the Highwaymen..: did he pop up later at Kingsmead..??

Those with three appearances only are Tony Brooks and three far more famous names: Arthur Price who went onto to win the Second Division Riders champs with Boston; Dingle Brown ( a recent associate of mine in Womble-land but soon, I hear, heading for sunnier climes..!!) and the late Vic Harding.

There were a handful riders in Crayford league history with just a solitary appearance to their names. Anyone know what happened to this famous (or maybe not so..!!) five: Peter Gay, Cyril Hathaway, Terry Barclay, Nigel Sparshott and Ian Fletcher. I can fill in details of Terry..: he's one of the brave boys in blue in Sussex. No, not a Brighton & Hove Albion footballer…!!!!

Which leaves just one on the list and this is THE enigma I've puzzled over for over thirty years!!

In the Kestrels' opening two matches in '75 (away at Crewe, home to Boston) the rider at number seven (scoreless in both matches) was named as Dave Howard.

Yet when the team photo was taken at that same opening NNL home fixture the guy wearing the no. 7 race-jacket is most certainly the rider who appeared there for most of the rest of that opening season, Bill Archer.

Whilst I can understand why Howard lost his slot to Archer, I could never fathom out how come the team photo taken that day before the match included Bill and not Dave Howard..!! And I seem to recall when the Star printed the team pic on the inside back cover some weeks later he was named as Howard.

I've always wondered, were they, in fact ,one & the same person; and for some reason Archer called himself Howard in those first two matches…!!

Any thoughts..??!!

Cyril (Ces) Hathaway emigrated to Christchurch NZ early Nov. 1973. After a short spell Ces moved north to the town of Hamilton where he dabbled in speedway at the local tracks. Around 1980 Ces then moved to Australia where he was employed flying helicopters. Ces took a job flying helicopters in Papua New Guinea, on October 20th 2006 in heavy fog the helicopter crashed into trees killing all on board. As none of Ces family have any photo's of him in his limited speedway days please contact me if you think you could help in this regard. It would be much appreciated.

John

Cyril Hathaway emigrated to Christchurch New Zealand late October 1973. After a short period he went up to Hamilton in the North Island where he dabbled in Speedway at the local Khi Khi track. Somewhere around 1980 Cyril (ces) went to Australia where he flew helicopters for a living. Ces married for the second time and had one daughter. On October 20th 2006 whilst working in Papua New Guinea flying helicopters Ces along with 3/4 other people all died when they crashed into trees. I know all this because Ces lived with me in NZ and over a 40 year period we became very good friends. The one regret we all have is that I nor any of his family have any photos of Ces doing his thing in the dirt if anybody can help in this regard that would be superb. Keep it sideways John

Gosh, many thanx John - and must be close to a BSF record picking up on a thread dormant for and a question asked five years ago!! Very glad you did though!!