British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Former Crayford Riders

Out of interest.......why wasn't a new track put into the new Crayford dog track?

I know the season they closed, Arena Essex opened the following year, but at the time, I can not recall anybody suggesting a new track at Crayford.

Regards.

New stadium physically wasn't / isn't big enough to incorporate a speedway track Ray. Basically it's built on the ground previously occupied by the pits cr park in the old days.

New stadium physically wasn't / isn't big enough to incorporate a speedway track Ray. Basically it's built on the ground previously occupied by the pits cr park in the old days.

Hello Bryn,

Many thanks. What a pity.

Regards.

The new stadium (well built in 1985 so not exactly 'new' anymore!!) is an entirely functional animal. Indeed, I wouldn't really go as far as calling it a Stadium at all. There's effectively just a dog track (and a small one at that) encompassed on three 'sides' (alright an oval can't have three sides, but you get my drift!? :blink: ) with just the boundary wall; and the only viewing area is offered by a (reasonably plush with restaurant facilities included) grandstand and a small bookies and standing area outside at the front of this stand.

The lighting stanchions have out of necessity to be placed on the centre green and the location of these more than anything else (plus the too small size) make putting in a Speedway circuit inside the dog track a literal impossibility.

When this travesty happened it was the first custom-built new dog track to be built in the UK for a few decades. As far as I know the 'model' hasn't been replicated elsewhere. BUT: there was talk last year of something very similar to replace the Abbey in Swindon and I'd bet a sizeable chunk of my life that before too long it's this kind of idea the GRA moot to LB Merton to deal with that Council's resistance to any plans to redevelop Plough Lane... :mad:

Thought you got all confuzzled Shazzy girl!  :lol:

And it sure is good to hear from the Crayford MS who I had the honour of doping & oiling for once at Canterbury. If my memory serves me correctly Mike you didn't have any with you that night and, unless the passage of time has enabled me to put some positive spin on the story, didn't you get a max?

Spoke to Paul Whittaker the another night - he's really keen on a Crayford reunion but would need a little notice so that he could book time off from his lorry driving job. Am trying to track down the Great Galvini amongst others now.

Bryn

HI BRYN

I remember canterbury well,had one or two decent scores there but not a max,are you still envolved any where??

Did Paul Whittaker actually ride for Crayford. I thought he made his debut for Hackney.

As I think I posted earlier in this thread..: Paul Whittaker was too young (ie not yet 16) to ride for Crayford or indeed, in offical second half races at London Rd...: but I've always believed (though could be wrong...!!) that he was the youngster who rode some practice laps after the final match in the '83 season and became therefore the last rider ever to rider on the Crayford track..?

I think that is correct, Bryn isn't it..??? :unsure:

Did Paul Whittaker actually ride for Crayford. I thought he made his debut for Hackney.

Paul made his official debut for Hackney Kestrels in 1984 (against Mildenhall I think). It might well have been the first meeting of that season. I gave Paul a copy of that meeting on DVD at the Hackney Reunion.

Thinking about that Crayford reunion as a possible event during one of Sittingbourne's matches this year..: has anyone a preferred date among the following:

July 1st. (when Plymouth are the visitors)

August 19th. vs. the 'old enemy' Rye House

September 2nd. vs. Oxford

The Rye House match has an obvious appeal..: and I guess Uncle Len (once Crayford's co-promoter..) would be in attendance plus maybe Steve Naylor.. But then the fact that none other than the legend that is Bryn Williams is the Oxford CL team's Chairman (and, he's asked me to say, 2005 CL winning Team Manager..!!) might make September 2nd. a good date...?

There are other CL dates at the Old Gun Site obviously but thought summer might be better and gives more time to organise..: and maybe get sponsors for a proper commemorative second half event..: perhaps for the Del Lewis trophy..??

Any old Highwaymen/Kestrels out there..: it's your event, what do you think..?? :unsure:

Hi Bryn

I had a look at a website that said the Crayford dog track is 334 metres.

I know it would be small, but what size speedway track could be built inside?

Perhaps CL racing could be accomodated and maybe wouldn't cheese off Lakeside?

Looking at other dog tracks that do hold speedway, although bigger than Crayford, some are not that much bigger.

Would be a closer option for Wimbledon, rather than Sittingbourne.

Regards.

Some other problems, apart from the huge one of getting planning permission that is include:

Whether or not Ladbrokes would want speedway there

Access to the stadium and car parking for fans bearing in mind that Sainsbury's is open until 10pm each night and the car parking space for the dog stadium is VERY limited indeed - doubt if more than 150 cars could be accommodated.

car parking space for the dog stadium is VERY limited indeed - doubt if more than 150 cars could be accommodated.

Bryn,

So would you say that greyhound racing has less people attending than speedway?

Not trying to be clever, I do not know the answer.

However, I do remember somebody saying that a lot of people follow dogs via betting shops and the internet.

I suppose if you assume 3 people in a car, 1,000 spectators, you really need 350 spaces, at least.

The fact they had Speedway there once, would you feel Planning Permission possible or a non starter.

Regards.

The new stadium (well built in 1985 so not exactly 'new' anymore!!) is an entirely functional animal.  Indeed, I wouldn't really go as far as calling it a Stadium at all.  There's effectively just a dog track (and a small one at that) encompassed on three 'sides' (alright an oval can't have three sides, but you get my drift!? :blink: ) with just the boundary wall; and the only viewing area is offered by a (reasonably plush with restaurant facilities included) grandstand and a small bookies and standing area outside at the front of this stand.

The lighting stanchions have out of necessity to be placed on the centre green and the location of these more than anything else (plus the too small size) make putting in a Speedway circuit inside the dog track a literal impossibility.

RR:

see above.

You must have missed this earlier posting of mine.

Explains the 'technical' reasons why a Speedway track couldn't possibly be located in the new 'stadium' (sic)

You must have missed this earlier posting of mine.

Explains the 'technical' reasons why a Speedway track couldn't possibly be located in the new 'stadium' (sic)

Thank you Mr P

Actually, I did see your posting, but had forgotten.

I suppose the lighting situation could be resolved with 'will' and 'money', but there's the rub.

Regards.

Access to the stadium and car parking for fans bearing in mind that Sainsbury's is open until 10pm each night and the car parking space for the dog stadium is VERY limited indeed - doubt if more than 150 cars could be accommodated.

Hmm, for a man who doesn't drive, a surprising concern about car parking!!?? ;)

Of course one of the beauties of Crayford was its proximity to the station which had an excellent service into London and all those suburban stops on the way.

The greatest tragedy of Speedway in the south-east has been the loss of accessible public transport links to tracks. No one could, in all honesty, say that getting to Eastbourne, Sittingbourne or Arena (er, Lakeside..!) is easy by train. In the days of Crayford, Hackney, White City & Wimbledon one could - and as a teenager, I did.. - easily get to watch Speedway from any part of London at all those trackswithout having to worry about needing a car.

Sure Bryn still manages it now; but essentially one has a car or one doesn't go!! This has excluded kids who want to or had to go without parents and many OAPs too.

Rye House is close to a station, though, and that gives it IMO a big advantage for many Speedway fans over other tracks in the region...