British Speedway Forum
KevH

Hyde Road

Can someone please tell me the track record, holder and time achieved when Hyde Road sadly closed it's gates in 1987?

And if anyone has the same info for Kirky Lane, that would be much appreciated too.

didnt know kirky lane had closed :P

Hyde Road : 66.4 set by Chris Morton 29/7/83 & Erik Gundersen 14/10/84

Kirky Lane : 57.8 set by Jason Crump (Who else) 7/8/06

Hyde Road : 66.4 set by Chris Morton 29/7/83 & Erik Gundersen 14/10/84

Kirky Lane : 57.8 set by Jason Crump (Who else) 7/8/06

Once again, many thanks to you Steve.

If I'm right didn't Mort set the Hyde Road track record during the Northern Riders Championship of that year. It was one of the heats not shown on the Granada programme that followed shortly after.

No shock at the result though...a Belle Vue 1-2-3. Morton, P Collins, P Carr.

Crumpie set the KL track record during the 'controversial' televised match against Ipswich....that will probably never be lowered.

Edited by youngy105

Indeed he did. Funnily enough, PC's legendary track record of 67.0, knocking 2.4 seconds off his own previous record, was also in a Northern Riders Qualifier (we had enough northern riders for them to have to qualify in those days!), on 2 July 1976. That day is etched on my memory - one of the greatest days of speedway in a great era. :approve:

Andy, as a fellow anorak I must tell you that PC broke the record in a Grand Prix QR. I hate to correct people, but on this occasion I simply must. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it was a NRC qualified rather than Grand Prix, Moxey. Must try to look out the programme from my collection in the garage. Anyway, Wilkie won the meeting - my memories of 1976 are darn good!!

Andy - PC won the meeting in which he broke the track record.

I think you're getting mixed up with the WCQR Wilkie won in 1975, the year every track staged a qualifier. Go check your programmes. I would bet you a crispy tenner that I'm right. I'll forward my address. :D

Pretty sure it was a NRC qualified rather than Grand Prix, Moxey.  Must try to look out the programme from my collection in the garage.  Anyway, Wilkie won the meeting - my memories of 1976 are darn good!!

They fail you in this instance. PC clocked his time in a Berger Grand Prix Qualifier

Edited by Jeff.

Jeff, don't want to start on the wrong foot, but it was the Daily Mirror Grand Prix.

Andy, my address to send the tenner to is... ;)

Jeff, don't want to start on the wrong foot, but it was the Daily Mirror Grand Prix.

Andy, my address to send the tenner to is...  ;)

Fair enough Moxey. I knew it was the Grand Prix qualifier. What year did Berger sponsor it

Andy, as a fellow anorak I must tell you that PC broke the record in a Grand Prix QR. I hate to correct people, but on this occasion I simply must. :rolleyes:

Why, Moxey, are you trying to drive The Great Millward even further away from Kinky Lane than he is now? :sad: