British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Barrow

The Park Road track record in 1978 was held by John Jackson at 56.8 seconds.

I'm puzzled now, 2ndBender previously posted that in 1985 the track record was 59.7......... I believe the track was extended by six yards in 1984, so are these the two records for the different track lengths?

BTW Sube, do you have the date Jacko set that time please?

According to Mr Oakes' fine "Daily Mirror 1979 Speedway Year Book", the details are as follows:

Track length: 300 yards - 274 metres

Track record: 56.8 seconds, John Jackson (Ellesmere Port), July 25, 1978.

It looks very much like Ellesmere Port won that meeting 35-43, with young Jackson scoring a 12 point maximum, as did team mate Phil Collins.

Sorry for the confusion KevH. I got my information from the last ever Barrow programme from '85. I wasn't aware that the track was a different length in '78, but on checking a programme, that is indeed the case.

I always understood that the Park Road track, although small, was a great shape which lent itself to fast racing.  Shame it didn't last.

Yes, it was a great shape and produced very good racing (at least for my very occasional visits!). Quite the opposite from Holker Street which had one particularly "square" corner I seem to remember.

Maybe Park Road suffered crowd wise by being a bit from being out of town. I also seem to remember it was very scenic to the west. Last promoter there was Chris Roynon (Adam's dad).

Sorry for the confusion KevH.  I got my information from the last ever Barrow programme from '85.  I wasn't aware that the track was a different length in '78, but on checking a programme, that is indeed the case.

No worries 2ndB, your help is appreciated....... thanks.

Let's get even more confusing, shall we?

Done a little further research and Berwick used the Park Road track during their nomadic year of 1981, when the details were as follows:

Track Length: 320 yards - 292.5 metres.

Track Record: 58.5 seconds, Wayne Brown (Berwick), May 30, 1981.

I was at Terry Kelly's place a few weeks ago, he's exactly the same as when he was racing, still mad as a hatter and still riding bikes fast (road ones), he's a roofer in Manchester and is still a good laugh, what a character.

I must be one of the few original Barrow Speedway fans on here or even following the sport.

I watched Speedway there at Holker Street and Park Road including the abortive Bandits season. I was so gutted when the Blackhawks didn't work out.

Still, it is good to see Adam Roynon doing so well keeping the town on the Speedway map in some way.

Edited by KAM

I must be one of the few original Barrow Speedway fans on here or even following the sport.

I watched Speedway there at Holker Street and Park Road including the abortive Bandits season. I was so gutted when the Blackhawks didn't work out.

Still, it is good to see Adam Roynon doing so well keeping the town on the Speedway map in some way.

You must have been there on my only visit - when the lights blew against Exeter in 1985. Its still the most amazing and memorable speedway meeting I have ever been to.

You must have been there on my only visit - when the lights blew against Exeter in 1985. Its still the most amazing and memorable speedway meeting I have ever been to.

Yes, I was there. just about summed up the whole operation really. Think he over revved the tractor which blew the lights. Very depressing night.

i used to live in dalton&used to go regular& we just used to live round the corner from sid sheldrick&my dads friend used to help in the pits with one of the riders.Thats how i started of going to speedway then my dad moved with promotion with work&it was the same time tom&joe owen moved over to newcastle&we started to watch speedway at newcastle.Happy days.

i used to live in dalton&used to go regular& we just used to live round the corner from sid sheldrick&my dads friend used to help in the pits with one of the riders.Thats how i started of going to speedway then my dad moved with promotion with work&it was the same time tom&joe owen moved over to newcastle&we started to watch speedway at newcastle.Happy days.

That would be 74/75. But sid never lived in barrow.