British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scoobie15

Speedway Meeting In Aid Of Garry Stead

Stoke are to hold Mini World Cup Meeting in aid of Garry Stead on the 15th September 2007

Taken from The Sentinel

STOKE are furthering plans to stage a second benefit meeting for injured Garry Stead at Loomer Road on September 8.A Grand Prix style meeting for Stead, who was left paralysed following a track crash at Somerset earlier this season, will go ahead at Sheffield, the club which owns his contract on Thursday.

Stoke promoter Dave Tattum has been working closely with his Sheffield counterparts to ensure the meeting generates a big response.

But few promoters have had a longer relationship with Stead than Tattum and expectations are that the Loomer Road event will be equally as successful as the Owlerton meeting.

"I go back to working with Garry Stead when he was a raw kid trying to get a ride wherever he could," recalled Tattum.

"He used to come along to Stoke here in the late 80s and early 90s and badger me for ride after ride.

"The more he got, the more he wanted and though he was a pain in the butt at times, you couldn't help but like the lad and we hit it off straight away.

"In fact, we signed him up for Stoke and he made enough progress for the likes of Belle Vue to go into print rating him one of the best young riders around.

"They rated him at around £15,000 despite his inexperience and that said a lot about the determination that Steady had shown to make a name for himself in the sport.

"He hadn't had it easy and I remember meeting his mum and dad many times.

"Garry did things the hard way. I can remember him working on the bikes in the back of his van with a tarpaulin draped over the doors for shelter.

"It wasn't easy. But it was that sort of background that shaped Steady and though he moved on to other clubs, we've always kept in touch and been friends."

Tattum had used Stead time and time again as a guest rider, but had never been able to bring him in full-time until this season. That, with its sad outcome, is another reason for Tattum pushing ahead with the benefit meeting on September 8, which will be run along the lines of a mini World Team Cup.

"I think the idea of a mini World Team Cup, particularly just a few weeks after Poland won such a terrific meeting in their home country, will go down well," said Tattum.

"It was always our intention to run a benefit meeting for Steady and we have stepped aside while Sheffield have organised the event for next week. Garry is a Sheffield asset, but he was part of Stoke Speedway in 2007 and a very important and well liked part of the team at that.

"I hope to outline more details over the next week or so, but I can say that we will be staging a 20-heat format with two semi-finals and a final.

"That will give us team victors and an individual winner as well and I am quite sure there will be some exciting things on offer.

"I make no bones about stressing that this will be all about generating finances for a young man who is the father of two young boys. His lifestyle has changed and there will be a lot of changes and challenges for him to face in the future.

"We hope to run an auction or raffle and we intend to offer the role of assistant team manager to any of the four teams to the highest bidder.

"It is our intention to push hard and make this as big and as successful a meeting as we can."

Also sponsorship packages are available and running out fast if any of you are interested in any of the following please e-mail garrysteadwristbands@hotmail.co.uk

Package 1 : Race Sponsorship £200 - This will include complimentary admission for 4 people and a mention in the programme.

Package 2 : Rider Sponsorship £100 - This will include complimentary admission for 2 people and a mention in the programme.

Package 3 : Fuel/Oil/Insurance £40 - This will include a mention in the programme.

Packages can be done as a group or individual and are flexible to meet people's pockets

Remember its all in aid of Garry Stead

Hope to see you all there, more details on the meeting will be posted when released

Cheers

Lisa

Edited by scoobie15

I can now confirm that a raffle will be done there are 2 handpainted pictures one is an action shot of Garry taken at Somerset just before his awfull crash and the other painting is a portrait of garry up for grabs and also a 17" LCD television, A pair of Garry's Race Boots, A Ben Barker Helmet and a BSR Motorbike Jacket + many other items.

If you are interested in buying a raffle ticket they can be purchased £1 per strip at Stoke or if you are interested and cant get to Stoke you can contact garrysteadwristbands@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers

Lisa

Bradford vs Stoke vs Hull vs Sheffield (or something similar) would certainly wet the appetite - looking forward to making this one!!

Edited by speedway_dan

I know it's a bit early yet but any ideas what time do the tapes go up 7 / 7.15 / 7.30 / 7.45 / 8.

I arrive back from my hols that afternoon but would really like to make this met.

Edited by sunnset

I know it's a bit early yet but any ideas what time do the tapes go up 7 / 7.15 / 7.30 / 7.45 / 8.

I arrive back from my hols that afternoon but would really like to make this met.

At the Moment it may be 18.00 as there are so many heats to get done but this has not been confirmed i'll keep you posted :rolleyes:

Whens the line-up expected to be known please stoke fans as hoping to come to this to help raise more money for Garry!!

Any news on the line-up yet??

Edited by seanisnumber1

Just read in the speedy star that this meeting may be getting moved back a few weeks so Stoke can complete there fixtures before the cut off!!

Just read in the speedy star that this meeting may be getting moved back a few weeks so Stoke can complete there fixtures before the cut off!!

dunno what is happening here but i heard a whisper that there may be a challenge match at stoke this saturday???

ps/against sheffield

Edited by The SAINT

According to the Official Stoke Website.. The Garry Stead WC is on the 27th of October now.. With a Sheffield Challenge at Stoke this Saturday! :blink:

Edited by Shorty

Just to keep this thread at the top, as we all want to see Garry have another great night with people digging deep !

Any news on line up's ? I'm sure I saw on here someone mention a chap called Gollob ??????? Some rising star in Poland i've heard might make a trip over, can't see it myself but bums on seats spring to mind