British Speedway Forum
KevH

Rayleigh Rockets

OK, now you're all warming to the theme, how about helping me with some pointers for our feature...

Which individual visiting riders were regarded, by home fans, as the 'enemy' at The Weir? And I don't just mean the whole Romford team.

Any of the Kennett brothers, most of the Ipswich team as well as Arthur Price from Boston and the top guy at Sunderland (his name I cannot remember)

Which visiting rider would have hated Rayleigh the most (serious injury, etc)?

Arthur Price after being beaten on the line by Ivan Miller the reserve

Who were the home riders who struggled most to make their mark at The Weir?

John Alexander

Who was the biggest Rockets hero in the Div 2 (1968-73) era? - Maloney? Saunders? Young? Peter Claridge?!

Peter Moore, Terry Stone, Dingle Brown and Tevor Barnwell

Greatest achievement by the Rockets there, in terms of team performance/result?

Beating Canterbury home and away with Tiger Beech having at particularly good meeting at Canterbury. This was always agood wind up. For pure entertainment though you would have to a long way to beat the Eastbourne matches with Dave Lanning up to his usual antics and accusing Rayleigh riders of using fuel additives. Winning the Essex Gold cup against the old enemy was always good paticularly when Brian Foote was in the thick of things

Cheers!