British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sir Lunchalot

Broadford 11th November

Guest Sir Lunchalot

First of all my apologies for the belated report. I had a few other things to do and time got away from me a little. Never mind, better late than never.

I can't recall quite when I enjoyed a club meeting as much as this one, there were some cracking races with some really good hard fought battles happening out on the track. In the solo's it was the Beau Evans / Jake Anderson show. Both had been at Mildura the night before (which depleted the solo ranks at Broadford a great deal) and had made the long trek to compete but I was mighty glad they did. The two of them had four enthralling tussles with Evans taking three wins to Andersons one. The undoubted highlight was their second encounter when for four laps Evans favouring the outside line stalked Anderson who was doing his level best to keep him at bay while on the inside. Coming off the final bend Evans put in a huge effort and in the dash to the line got the referee's nod by the proverbial bees diaphragm. Their other three clashes were nearly as good and the best part was it was all done in the right spirit with both riders showing respect for the other and no sign of any questionable tactics. It was terrific stuff. For the record Jackson Milne was third in all four heats.

The 1000cc sidecars also were well worth watching. There seemed to be an edge to them that had been lacking and in one of the early heats it was noticeable how aggressively but fairly they attacked the first turn after the tapes rose and there was that feeling in the air it was going to be an entertaining day. You wouldn't want your speedway any other way would you ? The only downside was that with the fine sunny day the track slickened up towards the end and it was getting a bit like a skating rink for the three wheelers in the later heats. That led to what could have been a nasty accident in the final heat with the Malcolm German / Nathan Chisholm combination getting a little too sideways on the dusty track and the close following Phil Russell / Sean Coleby & Noel Gawne / Craig Fordham combinations didn't have many places to go. The three outfits had a coming together which could have been nasty but apart from an ankle injury to Coleby everyone else seemed to be ok altough they would all be nursing bruises this coming week. For the record German Chisholm had three wins and a DNF but that was enough to take the overall win on the day.

Also great to again welcome to Broadford Matt Tyrell & Sean Yates who had come over for a hit out and seemed to enjoy their day while finishing equal second on points. They certainly seemed to easily remember how an Australian BBQ works at the after meeting gathering. I should aslo mention Mick Cave was also there having a run around on a 250cc three wheeled machine.

I would be remiss not to mention Alan Landers and Adam Bond who were also very entertaining in the Over 30 two valve section, on most other club days they would have been the highlight of the day but such was the quality of the racing on offer they were pushed into the background a little. The sad part of it all was there was only a hardy band of regular spectators there, it would have been a great meeting to serve as an introduction to speedway for any previous non believers

Although not on the track it was nice to see Neil Street there with his brother (not sure of his first name) and Ian Williams (brother of world champ Freddie) who were there with their respective partners. They seemed to have an enjoyable day and I hope they take some pleasant memories away with them of Broadford. Of course they had to have their picture taken on the centre "brown" with the gum tree in the background, I bet they win a few bets with that photo !!