British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Finnish News

It's no wonder you don't get many people looking in,when you treat them like that :P

Maybe you could expand the thread to include Norway,and then make it a bit more interesting B)

I'm not going to upset Petteri by putting norway fixtures on his finnish news. But as norway hardly deserves a thread of it's own, they can be found at elganemk.no and a few other places no doubt.

I wouldnt go berserk or anything if you did... :mad::angry::wink:

I'll post Norwegian news next year. Elgane has been given the U21 Scandinavian qualifier for 2009.

Finnish Individual Ice racing Champion 2008 is Antti Aakko!

Antti Aakko 33333 15

Kai Lehtinen 23333 14

Mika Kastren 33222 12

Kai Ilkka 22132 10

Henri Malinen F3231 9

Jouni Seppänen 312F3 9

Jussi Hytönen 11313 9

Joni Kontoniemi 3F32R 8

Janne Vilponen 2212R 7

Jussi Nyrönen 20122 7

Jarmo Malinen 11012 5

Tommi Suolammi 10201 4

Timo Kankkunen 120FN 3

Markku Weckman 02001 3

Ari Tuomisto 00111 3

Mikael Lillkåll 01010 2

Sami Hassinen 0 0

Heat by heat:

1. Kastren, Nyrönen, Suolammi, Weckman 60,06

2. Aakko, Lehtinen, Kankkunen, Tuomisto 60,00

3. Kontoniemi, Ilkka, Hytönen, Malinen d 60,01

4. Seppänen, Vilponen, J.Malinen, Lillkåll 63,99

5. Lehtinen, Vilponen, Hytönen, Nyrönen 63,00

6. Aakko, Weckman, Lillkåll, KOntoniemi d 64,05

7. Malinen, Kankkunen, Seppänen, Suolammi 65,24

8. Kastren, Ilkka, J.Malinen, Tuomisto 65,32

9. Aakko, Malinen, Nyrönen, J.Malinen 62,16

10. Lehtinen, Seppänen, Ilkka, Weckman 63,46

11. Hytönen, Suolammi, Tuomisto, Lillkåll 66,82

12. KOntoniemi, Kastren, Vilponen, Kankkunen 65,82

13. Ilkka, Nyrönen, Lillkåll, Kankkunen d 66,78

14. Malinen, Vilponen, Tuomisto, Weckman 65,91

15. Lehtinen, Kontoniemi, J.Malinen, Suolammi 63,26

16. Aakko, Kastren, Hytönen, Seppänen d 65,38

17. Seppänen, Nyrönen, Tuomisto, Kontoniemi R 68,63

18. Hytönen, J.Malinen, Weckman, Hassinen 63,93

19. Aakko, Ilkka, Suolammi, Vilponen R 63,93

20. Lehtinen, Kastren, Malinen, Lillkåll 63,91

A couple of pictures!

Unfortunately Aakko and Lehtinen met in heat two with Aakko winning. Lehtinen was first from the start to turn one but Aakko was on the outside and was first exciting turn two. Lehtinen followed close all the way to the finish. Joni Kontoniemi had some bad luck puncturing a tire and then shedding a chain. He was well on the pace but bad luck took away his chances. Henri Malinen was good also but fell in his first heat giving away a point or two. 332 payed to get in combining free tickets the total was around 450 spectators. Quite impressive!

Edited by f-s-p

The spring conference regarding league racing next season was held at the same time as the ice racing final yesterday. For what I've heard the rules and formats will stay the same. What ever failures have been noticed in the rules in the past couple of season have now been put straight so there should not be situations ahead like there was last season. At one meeting the ref came from the ref box to the pits and asked me for a rulebook... :cry:

No official info regarding the teams, riders or calendar. The calendar should be out in a week or two.

At one meeting the ref came from the ref box to the pits and asked me for a rulebook... :cry:

Can't decide if that's funny or sad...

:unsure:

I've created a mini league in to the Speedway Star Fantasy league. The league is called Speedwaysanomat and the password is Speedwaysanomat. You're welcomed to join. Winner of the mini league will receice 6 months subscription of the Finnish track racing magazine Speedwaysanomat. It's now occasionally in colour! Well the covers anyway :lol: When I win this, I'm keeping the prize. :approve:

Extraliiga calendar should be out during the next week with teams and riders listed as well.

I just spoke with KMMK (Keittiöpiste last season) and they have entered the league with Teemu and Timo Lahti, Toni Stenberg and Tero Aarnio. That group will keep itself away from my probaple medalists list, but they've always found good foreigners when ever needed. Also I heard that Joonas Kylmäkorpi is listed with the Lahti team, Haukat.

Finnish calendar is finally out.

National events 2008

July 5th.........Individual qualifier, Seinäjoki

July 12th........U21 final, Hyvinkää

July 26th........Individual final, Haapajärvi

August 9th......Longtrack final, Forssa

August 16th....Pairs final, Kauhajoki

Here's the Championship league.

Extraliiga calendar 2008

May 9th...............Extraliiga 1: KOT – JOK – PAH – HAU/ROY, Seinäjoki

June 14th............Extraliiga 2: KEI – KOT – JOK – PAH, Kuusankoski

June 15th............Extraliiga 3: HAU/ROY – KEI – KOT – JOK, Lahti

June 28th............Extraliiga 4: JOK – PAH – HAU/ROY – KEI, Kauhajoki

July 19th.............Extraliiga 5: PAH – HAU/ROY – KEI – KOT, Pori

August 2nd..........Extraliiga 6: KOT – JOK – KEI – PAH, Seinäjoki

August 3rd..........Extraliiga 7: JOK – KEI – PAH – HAU/ROY, Kauhajoki

August 10th........ Extraliiga 8: HAU/ROY – KOT – JOK – KEI, Lahti

September 13th...Extraliiga 9: KEI – PAH – HAU/ROY – KOT, Kuusankoski

September 20th...Extraliiga 10: PAH – HAU/ROY – KOT – JOK, Pori

Teams

JOKERIT (Kalle Katajisto, Jani Eerikäinen, Timo Villanen, Markku Autio, jj Anssi Hautala)

KEITTIÖPISTE (Tero Aarnio, Toni Stenberg, Teemu Lahti, Timo Lahti, jj Asko Sorvo)

HAUKAT-ROYALS (Aarni Heikkilä, Tomi Reima, Juha Mäkelä, Janne Nyman, Joni Kitala, Joonas Kylmäkorpi, jj Harri Heikkilä)

PAHOLAISET (Jari Mäkinen, Marko Suojanen, Petri Koskela, Aki-Pekka Mustonen, Alexander Edberg, Cesary Owizyc, jj Tomi Kauppi)

KOTKAT (Kaj Laukkanen, Juha Hautamäki, Rene Lehtinen, Joni Keskinen, Petteri Koivunen, Niko Siltaniemi, jj Mikko Koskinen)

Judging by these team Kotkat is the hot favourite. Every team will use foreign riders this season, there's no doubt so no one knows what will really happen. Jokerit is clearly the weakest and wont get saved by even the best foreigner. Keittiöpiste looks pretty poor too with only Teemu Lahti going to score from this list. I'd go as far as to place the combined Haukat-Royals as a title favourite with Kotkat. Paholaiset are relying on Mäkinen, but will Mäkinen be there? Nobody knows.

Dont know how official it is but the Finnish youngsters have booked a Swedish track in April and are having a three day training session between 18th and 20th of April.

Edited by f-s-p

Will be also Cup like in season 2007?

Will be also Cup like in season 2007?

Yes. Seven teams are taking part in the Kaupunki Cup (1st division). It will be ridden like the pairs with 2-3 rider teams and seven teams per match. Combined average of the team cannot exceed 6.00 according to last years averages.

Yes. Seven teams are taking part in the Kaupunki Cup (1st division). It will be ridden like the pairs with 2-3 rider teams and seven teams per match. Combined average of the team cannot exceed 6.00 according to last years averages.

So do you know termins of Kaupunki Cup?

Kaupunki Cup calendar 2008

May 18th.......Kaupunki Cup round 1 at Pori

May 24th.......Kaupunki Cup round 2, at Hyvinkää

June 8th........Kaupunki Cup round 3, at Kauhajoki

June 29th......Kaupunki Cup round 4, at Lahti

July 6th.........Kaupunki Cup round 5, at Kauhajoki

August 24th...Kaupunki Cup round 6, at Haapajärvi

August 30th...Kaupunki Cup round 7, at Hyvinkää

Teams:

LAHTI (Jukka Nieminen, Markku Weckman, Vesa Hyyryläinen, Janne Nyman, Joni Kitala, Hannu Hietamäki, jj Kalevi Reijo)

FORSSA I (Aarni Heikkilä, Esa Yrjölä, Reima Heikkilä, jj Harri Heikkilä)

FORSSA II (Johan Ahponen, Heikki Tapani, Markus Helin, jj ?)

KAUHAJOKI (Jan-Eric Korkeamäki, Jere Mattila, Olli Heikkilä, jj Jarkko Mattila)

HAAPAJÄRVI (Juho Ruuska, Niko Siltaniemi, Petteri Koivunen, Raimo Ilmonen, jj Jukka Ruuska)

VAASA (Tero Villanen, Timo Villanen, Markku Autio, jj Markku Uuttu)

PORI (Jouni Viljanen, Tomi Kauppi, Marko Suojanen, Petri Koskela, jj Petri Meritähti)

Edited by f-s-p

Jari Mäkinen will become the third Finnish rider of the season in the Premiere league this sunday, when he rides for Mildenhall against Rye House at home.

About a week later he's booked to ride in the Vetlanda team cup on friday, while other Finnish youngsters are practising at Hallstavik for the weekend. The training camp organized by Mikael Teurnberg as the coach will include challenge match on sunday against the local junior team.

Edited by f-s-p

No major surprises in the nominations for this seasons qualifiers. Kauko Nieminen will ride in the SGP qualifier in Poland and Kaj Laukkanen and Joonas Kylmäkorpi are travelling to Lonigo. I was quite surprised that Laukkanen has turned his coat on this. There was an interview in the Speedway Star regarding Gelsenkirchen where he stated that no more GP's for him. But he's back at it again... Nieminen, Laukkanen, Kylmäkorpi and Hautamäki will ride in the SWC qualifier, with a 5th rider nominated later. Hautamäki is also the next in line when it comes to the SGP qualifiers.

Rene Lehtinen will ride in the longtrack qualifier in A de L with another Finn who will be nominated later on. Lehtinen will also take on the EC-semifinal in Mulmshorm. Jarkko Palmi, Mika Loppi, Vili Hautala, Miikka Hyyryläinen and Jiri Nieminen are the nominees for the YTG with Loppi and Palmi travelling for EC too. Joni Keskinen has been nominated for the EC qualifier in Hungary and Juha Hautamäki is in the Terenzano semifinal.

5th rider for the SWC will be interesting. Jari Mäkinen, Tero Aarnio and Rene Lehtinen (in this order) being my personal favourites at this stage of the season. Haven't seen any of them even ride this year though. :lol: I'm hoping to be a bit wiser next week, after seeing most of the Finnish TOP15 riders on track.