British Speedway Forum

this was despite the fact that, according to the report, he waited a staggering 18 HOURS to be seen in A&E.

not sure if it was 18 hours to be saw at a$e but i do when craig and david were taken in they did have to wait awhile and in the corridor on pain killers and gas and air as there was a serious rt accident and those people were beening saw to...

glad to say craig came home yesterday and is doing ok and that david is going to be ok

Okay Shawn what is a genuine accident in your opinion? Driving on the roads can be dangerous, using knives, gardening, hedge trimmers, saws, walking on snow or ice, D.I.Y, even something as simple as taking the dog for a walk as my sister-in-law recently broke her ankle in two places when the dog pulled her over. The list is endless.

You take the dog for a walk, do you expect to get injured? No. You ride a 500c bike without brakes around an ice rink, do you expect to get injured? Probably.

It's all about calculating the risk and the people who tok the biggest risk will always get put to the back of the queue. Its the way A&E works. AFAIK, sports injuries are looked down on and the suffer shoved to the back of the queue every time.

Edited by SCB

You take the dog for a walk, do you expect to get injured? No. You ride a 500c bike without brakes around an ice rink, do you expect to get injured? Probably.

It's all about calculating the risk and the people who tok the biggest risk will always get put to the back of the queue. Its the way A&E works. AFAIK, sports injuries are looked down on and the suffer shoved to the back of the queue every time.

So what are you saying Shawn. That this is how Garry Stead, Stuart Robson, Luke Priest we're treated, i could go on & on, even go outside our sport, somehow i don't think so.It's true i know that some hospitals are quite shoddy with patient care, but serious trauma is quite different i believe. Cue sjl. :)

Edited by colincooke

SCB Posted Today, 03:30 PM

You are sadly misinformed about A&E Departments.

You seen depending on the severity of your injury/condition. If you are walking and talking, don't expect to be seen before someone who isn't.

David would have been seen by the triage nurse and his injury assessed.

It has nothing to do with sports injuries/risk or anything like that.

can i just clear something up, it was 18 hours waiting to be transfered to a ward, myself and craig were both waiting to be seen and there was a bit of a que (something to do with shrewsbury a and e being closed) i was taken to a different department from craig as his injuries were worse, i then waited four hours to be seen and then another fourteen to be taken on to the ward. this is not a slight taken agaist the nurses or doctors as they were fantastic and as i said they proberbly saved my season or at least the first half. they kept saying sorry to me at the time but as i said if there is no beds there is nothing you can do. glad to hear craig has gone home, we were on the same ward as each other a turned out to be a nasty injury, hope he keeps his head up and is back in a few months

Cheers Dave, ATB

You are sadly misinformed about A&E Departments.

You seen depending on the severity of your injury/condition. If you are walking and talking, don't expect to be seen before someone who isn't.

David would have been seen by the triage nurse and his injury assessed.

It has nothing to do with sports injuries/risk or anything like that.

Certainly not how it works in the Royal Gwent in Newport. They had a poster on the wall and explained how each patient is given points, and a sport man lost out because of it. Basically, a 25 year old sport man who was talking and alert was going to keep getting shoved to the back of the queue, even people who had been fighting/drunk were getting in ahead of them :unsure: . A young or very old person was going to be seen quite quick.

colin, I doubt any of them riders went to A&E :neutral:

Edited by SCB

In support of Howie the hospital staff at the Princees Royal at Telford were brilliant and the Consultant that attended to both Craig and David and who also conducted the surgery was excellent. The local paper is making news on a political issue. As Howie explained the A&E at the Shrewsbury hospital had closed for whatever reason which put extra pressure on Telford. Both Craig and David received excellent treatment and the Consultant Surgeon who operated on both was exceptional. Lets not get involed in political issues run by the newspaper and thank the staff at the hospital for the attention they provided to the riders.

So David has knowingly gone out and done something dangerous and got injured, of course he should wait until all the genuine accidents have been seen. It is done on a risk factor rating, the riskier the activity you were doing, the longer you wait and rightly so.

You cant generalize. Its always dependent on the injury and other injuries in the department.

Thankfully Howie has explained the situation fully so there is no need for a huge debate on it.

So David has knowingly gone out and done something dangerous and got injured, of course he should wait until all the genuine accidents have been seen. It is done on a risk factor rating, the riskier the activity you were doing, the longer you wait and rightly so.

Didn't stop my son waiting his turn behind the footballers in A&E the other Sunday after spraining his thumb accidentally. I would guess that this may apply in some hospitals but by no means all.

would be more dangerous with brakes to ride on ice!

So what are you saying Shawn. That this is how Garry Stead, Stuart Robson, Luke Priest we're treated, i could go on & on, even go outside our sport, somehow i don't think so.It's true i know that some hospitals are quite shoddy with patient care, but serious trauma is quite different i believe. Cue sjl. :)

exactly

Certainly not how it works in the Royal Gwent in Newport. They had a poster on the wall and explained how each patient is given points, and a sport man lost out because of it. Basically, a 25 year old sport man who was talking and alert was going to keep getting shoved to the back of the queue, even people who had been fighting/drunk were getting in ahead of them :unsure: . A young or very old person was going to be seen quite quick.

colin, I doubt any of them riders went to A&E :neutral:

the first step after an accident is often A&E as its the place where their injuries are asessed and decisions on their treatment taken so i would say you way off the mark on that one.... shawn your making yourself look an arse the more you type! :lol:

the first step after an accident is often A&E as its the place where their injuries are asessed and decisions on their treatment taken so i would say you way off the mark on that one.... shawn your making yourself look an arse the more you type!

I'd go further and say it is always the first place any accident victim would go. I can't imagine anyone being taken anywhere else as that's what the accident and emergency section is for surely? No-one is going to be taken straight up to a ward without being assessed first.

Shawn you are wrong again. :wink:

The rider not going to A&E was in reply to the stupid comment about rider who are clearly in a very bad way being/not being moved to the back of a queue. They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but I'm often told it is a form of wit, sadly it doesnt tend to work in written form ;)

As I posted, it's all about calculating risks and if someone is not going to get any worse, they are young (but not a child) who has been injured playing sport will be seen after a young child who has been involved in a car accident for example.

Do people really expect a person who's not breathing to be told, "hang on 2 hours, that guy over there cut his arm and has been waiting for stitches for 2 hours"? :unsure: No, they prioritise.

From the Princess Royal Hospital, Telford own website, "Patients are seen in order of priority and we see the seriously ill and injured, and children , first ."

Edited by SCB

Guest sjl

Don't get me started on that subject Colin! :wink:

Don't get me started on that subject Colin! :wink:

Right, subject closed.