British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Spain And Speedway

The more I look at this, the sadder it makes me feel. A tremendous amount of effort - then frustration at the end of it all.

My old pal Ted Gibson had the right idea (to a certain extent when he promoted in Spain in the early 1950s). He just set up deals at various bull-rings and, because the tracks were so small, just staged three rider races.

Having seen and spoken to Russell on Sunday when he rode in the STRA meeting at King's Lynn, I can tell everyone that he's now back in Spain and he tells me that the project is NOT dead but much depends on the outcome of various meetings which, apparently, are taking place today.

Having seen and spoken to Russell on Sunday when he rode in the STRA meeting at King's Lynn, I can tell everyone that he's now back in Spain and he tells me that the project is NOT dead but much depends on the outcome of various meetings which, apparently, are taking place today.

The latest Russell Paine developments in Spain look interesting but I'm sceptical about it getting off the ground although I hope to be proved wrong.

Additionally, I have heard that a dirt track is planned for the Rhonda region, to be used for cars and will probably be laid to USA sprint/midget car track specifications. But it could also be used for speedway bikes as such tracks are in New Zealand IMO.

My contact from Malaga was rather hazy and not personally interested. He just mentioned it in a matter of passing talk. However, he is an in-law so I'll see if he can find out more for me.

Edited by speedyguy

The latest Russell Paine developments in Spain look interesting but I'm sceptical about it getting off the ground although I hope to be proved wrong.

Additionally, I have heard that a dirt track is planned for the Rhonda region, to be used for cars and will probably be laid to USA sprint/midget car track specifications. But it could also be used for speedway bikes as such tracks are in New Zealand IMO.

My contact from Malaga was rather hazy and not personally interested. He just mentioned it in a matter of passing talk. However, he is an in-law so I'll see if he can find out more for me.

Hi Mr S

My recollection of Rhonda is it's a devil to get to by road, i.e. tight mountain roads going on forever!

Interesting though. Mind you, I think they have a Bull Rink there. :unsure:

Hi Mr S

My recollection of Rhonda is it's a devil to get to by road, i.e. tight mountain roads going on forever!

Interesting though. Mind you, I think they have a Bull Rink there. :unsure:

I'll keep a jaundiced eye on the suggested Rhonda venture in much the same way as I do Russell Paine's project. I don't really hold out much hope for either of them. I know Rhonda well - it's where my brother-in-law lives.

Any update from Russell Paine regarding his meeting on Tuesday this week (April 8 2008) with Spanish town councillors regarding his proposed track and if they have given their sanction to the venture?

It was last Tuesday (April 8) that Russell Paine was due to meet the local council in Spain regarding his track there?

Did anything transpire - if only to let us know the meeting did or did not take place.

Where's his 'spokesman' now? :unsure:

It was last Tuesday (April 8) that Russell Paine was due to meet the local council in Spain regarding his track there?

Did anything transpire - if only to let us know the meeting did or did not take place.

Where's his 'spokesman' now? :unsure:

Have you never bothered to get Russell's phone number then John? :unsure::blink:

Have you never bothered to get Russell's phone number then John? :unsure::blink:

I can't afford a call to Spain! :rolleyes: Surely that's why Paine has a website - to keep people updated? :unsure:

Just had a look on Russell Paine's Spanish website. As they say, 'the silence is deafening' in regard to a meeting last Tuesday (April 8) between his local councillors and himself in regard to the venture. Or, is it a case of 'no news is good news'? Sadly, I don't think it's the latter.

By the way, I cannot find out any more about the midget car-sprint car track (possible speedway) in Rhonda. But I am trying...!

Edited by speedyguy

We were told that Russell Paine was expecting some news last Tuesday (April 8 2008) on the prospects for his track following a meeting with local offcials. Nothing has been forthcoming. The last Post on his website was in March this year.

It read: "March is now an extremely critical month for us as if there is to be the tinyest of possibilities for us to open, we must make some progress in the next four or so weeks."

A while back, the usually lucid Steve Ribbons also assured (?) us that fears for the venture were unfounded. Isn't there now a need for some further assurance for those of us who have, for many years, followed the various speedway promotional efforts in Spain to know what is happening?

It is a subject in the public domain (there is a website). Time for a further comment, please.

Edited by speedyguy

Quick question Mr Hyam sir - where's the Rhonda region? :unsure: Do you, perchance, mean the RHONDDA region in South Wales where many famous people have begun life? Plus me! :lol::wink:

Quick question Mr Hyam sir - where's the Rhonda region? :unsure: Do you, perchance, mean the RHONDDA region in South Wales where many famous people have begun life? Plus me! :lol::wink:

Sadly it's not in Wales but is part of the Malaga Province in Spain. It exists. My brother-in-law lives there and Ray Rocket has also been in the region.

A rough guide is that it's in the mountain region behind the seaside towns of Fuengirola, Benalmadena and Marbella. There is a rail service from Malaga if you are thinking of a holiday there - suggest you book in at the Hotel Victoria. I have stayed there - wonderful but it's expensive. :rolleyes: It would seem too, :angry: , the correct spelling is RONDA not as I have been quoting Rhonda. P1928 please note!

PS: If you want to go there, try this link:

http://gospain.about.com/od/andalusia/qt/howtogettoronda.htm

Edited by speedyguy

Spain is not the sort of place I would choose for a holiday destination nowadays John, did all that in my youth plus Tenerife! :blink:

Obviously the Spanish Rhonda region, given its apparent beauty and charm was named after God's own part of South Wales! :wink:

Edited by Bryn

Speedguy, or should I say John Hyam, you are a complete hypocrite! Never had much to criticise all those years you were earning a nice living as editor of the speedway star did you?

You were trying to spoil the party way back at the Wimbledon re-launch press release (yes I know it was you, I was there remember) and over the last two years you have done nothing but try to wind up the few Wimbledon fans who use this site.

Love and kisses

Steve (yes that is my real name) Ribbons.

This point needs some clarification, especially as I understand that it has been raised on another discussion group. It refers of course to the press conference at Wimbledon Stadium in September 2001 (time marches on). I am completely at a loss about this and what I am supposed to have done wrong. I was in the company of former Wimbledon co-promoter John Smart, speedway historians Denys Jones and Peter Lipscombe, and former rider Al Holliday. I think the only question that I raised (and I made myself known) was "what crowd break even level was needed to make the venture worthwhile?" None of my colleagues asked me why I raised the question or chastised me for so doing!

After the launch, then promoter Dave # Name Removed # made himself known to me, we shook hands, and have been friend ever since and greets me whenever we meet - more especially when I raise a memory about his father, the Southampton and Oxford star Bert # Name Removed #. Another who was present and spoke to me afterwards was former Dons' captain Ray Morton - and, as I recall it, he thought that I raised a good point.

So, perhaps Steve Ribbons can clarify this matter of 'party spoiling' and also, if he reads this, the more recent commentator (not on the BSF this time) who also seems to vividly remember this affair.

Maybe they also remember that fact that for more than four years, throughout the season there was more than half a page coverage on the Dons, often with colour photos by Ian Perkin, in every Friday's edition of the paper I work for, while the Tuesday edition always covered any weekend matches and news, plus giving a brief insight into the next match.

A pity that this reply is lost in a debate on 'Spain and Speedway' - it would be better in the "Dons at Plough Lane' but as the subject was raised here by Steve Ribbons. it also needs my answer on this thread.

John Hyam aka speedyguy

THIS HAS BEEN MOVED TO GENERAL DISCUSSIONS 'DONS AT PLOUGH LANE'.

Edited by speedyguy

Sorry so late in replying, - some of have to work for a living! And to be honest with you I’m not all that bothered now what goes on in the world of speedway so I don’t spend every minute I have available looking at this computer screen let alone on this web site. BUT, -

John Hyam, I'm not really interested in what did or did not happen at Wimbledon, I'm not interested if you even did or did not try to contact me, (I was a little busy at the time) unlike # Name Removed # (you mentioned him not me) who just walked around rattling his gold chains. (Just ask the fence erecting team). I’m not interested in point scoring over who did, or did not do what at Wimbledon. Some years ago I wrote possibly the longest ever posting in the history of the BSF explaining everything that went on (remember that?) So if you want facts look it up or if you cant be bothered get someone to do it for you.

You constantly refer to the Wimbledon press conference since I mentioned it so i must have hit a nerve there! In my opinion you are possibly the most opinionated egotistical and self-serving individual on this forum (and there are a few believe me!). So no, I wont go into details, as I know it will annoy you just to keep it between you and me.

As to the point of this thread - Russell in Spain, so a few harsh facts for you.

1 I've been to the track and helped dig it -you haven't

2 I know how much Russell has invested in this project in terms of money and time -you've invested what? Zip!

3 I know where the project is going and what Russell aims are -And you don’t

4 You, and the general public have a right to know NOTHING until Russell wants you to know, and personally if it ties you up in knots not knowing, I will be advising Russell to keep you in the dark.

5 Perhaps you could subscribe to a little known publication called the Speedway Star if you want to find out anything about speedway in the future.

I hope this clarifies a few things

Love and Kisses

Steve Ribbons