British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BobC

Cyril J Hart

Article taken from the Official Poole Speedway website

Poole Mourns death of CJH

It is with regret that Poole Speedway announce the death of former Poole press officer Cyril J Hart who passed away on Saturday 23rd February aged 88.

CJH, as he was affectionately known, held several offices within British Speedway, representing the Speedway Riders Association as their Secretary during the 1950's as well as being editor of the Speedway World Magazine and a former Poole reporter for the Speedway Mail.

A Poole fan from the Pirates' early days Cyril's attendances at Wimborne Road were restricted in latter years but he always retained a close watch on the Pirates activities, particularly through his involvement with the Club's fanzine. It is with some irony that Cyril will be finally laid to rest on the club's 60th anniversary Press Day on Wednesday March 5th.

Yes indeed sad news indeed - RIP CJH.

It is indeed a very sad day for British Speedway to hear of Cyril’s passing.

Cyril was in fact a South Londoner and the first Speedway meeting he attended was the first-ever Speedway ‘Test’ between England and Australia at Wimbledon in 1930. His uncle was at Lord’s watching the Cricket ‘version’ and when the details of the Speedway meeting was announced he rushed back to take his 8 year old nephew along. I’m sure that CJH must’ve been one of the last survivors from that historic night.

I was privileged to know Cyril well over the past six years. He contacted me when his first-love, Wimbledon Speedway re-opened in 2002 and he regularly contributed articles for our award-winning programme over the next four years. We also worked together on ‘The Speedway History Magazine’. The recollections he had and his superb still extremely sharp writing style (even by then into his 80s!) were a real joy to read.

I was delighted when Cyril made it up to Plough Lane one final time in May 2003 for the 75th. anniversary meeting. Cyril was one of the greatest Speedway journalists of all time and I was so pleased to be sent and told some many stories. He was also a delightful man, loved by so many.

He was also an eternal enthusiast and that evening at Plough Lane he was still starry-eyed at seeing the legends of the past (who all knew him, of course) and the riders of the present day. One of the riders (I'm fairly certain it was Gerry King...) went up and thanked Cyril for sending him a card when he had been in hospital after a crash. CJH admitted to me this had occurred in the late '50s/early '60s but they’d not meet up since. Imagine remembering that back after so many years and Cyril was genuinely touched that the rider had remembered this. Testament I think to the way he was admired and respected across the sport.

You’ll be hugely missed CJH, but always remembered..

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Poole Mourns death of CJH

I am also very sorry to hear of Cyril's passing.

He was not only a great Speedway character, but an excellent Journalist, who spent a lifetime helping promote the sport he loved.

I was very privileged that Cyril took the trouble to write in one of the Opposite Lock Magazines, a lengthy article about the 'Saints' Junior sides that we ran at Poole in 1999 and 2000.

He was another from that 'old school', who respected every Rider who had the courage to sling his leg over a Bike.

God Bless,

# Name Removed #.

i second that crouch there are not to many of his breed left around nowadays.cj and myself along with phil chard of the echo would spend many a pre meeting chewing over the fat and by the time the parade began we had put the speeedway world to rights great man who respected my opinon and often asked it ,still at least the stadium in the sky has a decent journalist r.i,p cj oddy

Edited by oddfossengen