British Speedway Forum
skid row

Swc Round 2 Coventry 14th July

I would agree with the point you're making, but not necessarily the riders you've named. Gundersen spoke quite openly about how he messed with Hans' head to beat him, and Nicki managed to turn cracks into wide open valley's when he put pressure in Crump in '03(?- his first championship win).

I stick with the riders I've named - because they have all been world champions and therefore have shown that they do have the mental toughness, that something extra required to do so. The fact that they may have been beaten (or put under pressure) by another rider who went on to win the title is irrelevant - no-one can be expected to be an automaton and be mentally tough enough to win on every single occasion. The day comes when even a champion meets his match or has had his day. However the point is that all those riders had shown they had what it took at least once. Most riders will never have the talent, or most importantly, the strength where it matters the most - in their head - to get there even that one time.

Finally, the trackwas a factor whether people see it as an excuse or not. Brits are generally crap out the gate and can't ride slick tracks. It doesn't matter what our opinion on that is - It's a fact, proven time and time again.

Crazy comment when time and again the British riders MADE good starts and were overtaken by 2, sometimes 3 riders before the 3rd turn.

Did anyone else think Lindgren finished ahead of Harris in heat 19? Looking at the replay, Lindgren's wheel hits the red line first. It's only in the next frame they are dead level.

Look at it from the front angle they show on sky. The one from the side with a red line is taken from an angle so is not showing a fair view, and is obscured by the fence.

The red line angle is crap because it's not dead on the line because I said at the time Lindgren had got it but when you look at it from in front and can clearly see when both riders cross the line they look to go over together. Had it not been for that front angle if I was ref I'd have called Lindgren winning but think it was actually a dead heat.

Did anyone else think Lindgren finished ahead of Harris in heat 19? Looking at the replay, Lindgren's wheel hits the red line first. It's only in the next frame they are dead level.

Yes, but I was watching on SVT 24 so maybe it was a different camera angle :lol:

This is all i will say about what occured yesterday.

It's plain & simple really

Team GB are not good enough against the likes of Denmark/Poland /Sweden/Australia.

The reason goes back 20 years as Kelvin Tatum, a man who knows a thing or 2 about how it was back then clearly points out in the race mag.

Since those days British promoters haven't nurtured our youngsters as they should do, haven't put the incentives in at that level, haven't trained them out of their bad habits.

Simon Stead is a classic case here, do you think he would still be locking up & losing momentum if that habit had been nurtured out of him 10 years ago.

Joe Screen is another example, at 16 he was considered to be Britain's next World Champion, but what happened, he wasn't properly coached toward that aim so failed.

The B.S.P A need to look at themselves collectively & take responsibility for their failures in this area, it's the reason Peter Oakes resigned.

We do have natural talent now at Under 15 level but they need the proper training to get to the top, as do our Under 21's such as Tai, Adam Roynon, Joe Haines etc.

Sort it out B.S.P.A.

As for our immediate chances. Well as far this years final goes there nil.

Edited by colincooke

This is what I don't understand. What has Woffinden done to show he should be considered?

Correct, he hasnt.

However he is 17 and finished on the rostrum in the British final!!!!!

Not sure persevering with any of the current crop is worth it.

Sorry about this, but did I miss something about Lukas Dryml, has he been injured?

Ales said that his brother had a knee injury and its a flair up of that.

Also I dont think Olly Allen did anything wrong last night but wheres the incentive when you know youre out next meeting.

The incentive, if ever there was one , would be to wear your body colour with pride, show the world that you are up to the challenge and ensure you perform well enough to NOT be dropped.

Its all very well Lynch saying that riders would be picked for there track knowledge however i defy anyone that would say he wouldnt go to Vojens if he top scored with something 12 or 14 points.

He didnt because he wasnt up to the job.

Not criticism of Oliver - he`s proved my point.

Look at it from the front angle they show on sky. The one from the side with a red line is taken from an angle so is not showing a fair view, and is obscured by the fence.

If you ignore the red line as being gospel, I think Harris was actually in front and it was not a dead heat. Transponders on the bikes would have instantly have shown the correct result. Also, Adrian Rymel was unlucky to get excluded in heat 14. Nermark squeezed him up and consequently Rymel’s front wheel hit the curb and caused him to turn right. That decision should have been all four back.

Also, Adrian Rymel was unlucky to get excluded in heat 14. Nermark squeezed him up and consequently Rymel’s front wheel hit the curb and caused him to turn right. That decision should have been all four back.

What was truly disgraceful about that incident was Kelvin Tatum MBE's commentary - I wonder if he'd have been so sure and certain that Rymel should be excluded if he'd been a British rider.

As it happens, I thought it was probably a fair enough decision. It could've been all four back, but so could the Nermark one later on. But, I was more than happy with the refereeing last night.

Team GB are not good enough against the likes of Denmark/Poland /Sweden/Australia.

The reason goes back 20 years as Kelvin Tatum, a man who knows a thing or 2 about how it was back then clearly points out in the race mag.

Since those days British promoters haven't nurtured our youngsters as they should do, haven't put the incentives in at that level, haven't trained them out of their bad habits.

Simon Stead is a classic case here, do you think he would still be locking up & losing momentum if that habit had been nurtured out of him 10 years ago.

Joe Screen is another example, at 16 he was considered to be Britain's next World Champion, but what happened, he wasn't properly coached toward that aim so failed.

The B.S.P A need to look at themselves collectively & take responsibility for their failures in this area, it's the reason Peter Oakes resigned.

We do have natural talent now at Under 15 level but they need the proper training to get to the top, as do our Under 21's such as Tai, Adam Roynon, Joe Haines etc.

Sort it out B.S.P.A.

whay joke GB under 21 manager/ mentor. was helping the swedes

what chance has the youth

of british speedway got.

Sort it out B.S.P.A.

Have to agree with every word, if the BSPA is interested in British success then we need a proper integrated coaching and mentoring process, the involvement of previous top line riders, a team GBR sponsorship fund to assist with equipment, league structures that give preference to our homegrown talent etc. etc. but who has the vision in the BSPA to drive this sort of thing forward. As you say Peter Oakes resigned because the BSPA wouldn't support even his very basic attempts to put a structure in place for the youngsters, meanwhile the DMU appoint Erik Gundersen to oversee 80cc development across Denmark...compare and contrast!

I stick with the riders I've named - because they have all been world champions and therefore have shown that they do have the mental toughness, that something extra required to do so. The fact that they may have been beaten (or put under pressure) by another rider who went on to win the title is irrelevant - no-one can be expected to be an automaton and be mentally tough enough to win on every single occasion. The day comes when even a champion meets his match or has had his day. However the point is that all those riders had shown they had what it took at least once. Most riders will never have the talent, or most importantly, the strength where it matters the most - in their head - to get there even that one time.

I agreed with the point you made, and still do.

Crazy comment when time and again the British riders MADE good starts and were overtaken by 2, sometimes 3 riders before the 3rd turn.

Why was it a crazy comment? They are generally crap out of the start, and when they did make a decent one they were passed because they are generally crap on slick tracks.

I'll give you 38.85 reasons why Team GB scored what they did tonight.

Nice one Ballinger.Concise,succinct and so very much a factor.

How about getting behind the boys that are riding tonight?

It doesn't matter what we say on here today - Olly is riding ahead of Tai, and he's going to go out there and do his best for his country. Can't we just be supportive, for one day?

Serious omission last night.Why were the riders not introduced individualy to the crowd?At least then we could have have given each of our boys a cheer.