British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blazeaway

Poland And Back In A Day

Has anyone ever flown out for a league meeting and back in the same day?

Can it be done?

Which Polski tracks are close enough to airports? My guess would be Wroclaw, Poznan or Gdansk.

not sure if u can - i cant do bydgoszcz because of work and i have to be at work 1st thing on the monday but i want to really go to the gp challenge on the sunday - looked at most options but cant come up with a solution :cry::cry:

Can it be done?

Which Polski tracks are close enough to airports? My guess would be Wroclaw, Poznan or Gdansk.

It obviously will depend on flight times. A lot of the ryanair flights back to stansted are fairly late on a Sunday which gives you half a chance.

From personal experience last year, the Polish tracks don't tend to confirm start times until about 2 weeks before a match so you'll have to wait until the TV companies have had their say!

The day after the Leszno World Cup final last year, we were thinking about Bydgozscz but that was moved to a late start for tv so we went to Gniezno instead on the basis that any delays in the Bydgozscz match could prove costly. We easily made the flight from Bydgozscz but when we got to the airport, Andreas Jonsson was there so maybe we were being too cautious!

Can it be done?

I've looked into it & i think its pretty impossible. Fancy a Bydgoszcz home meet in the play offs as have watched every one of their meetings this season online & the track is an absolute peach!! Mind u, i bet that imbecile Olsen manages 2 stuff it up 4 the GP in September!!

The main problem appears to be a lack of flights out to Poland on a sunday. The best i cud come up with 4 a quick trip was flying out of Stansted on saturday at about 5.00pm to Bydgoszcz & then returning home on the sunday flight out of Bydgoszcz at around 11.00pm. Trouble is i'm 3 hrs away from Stansted so wouldnt be returning home til about 3.00am - 4.00am. Wouldnt mind but imagine if it was rained off!!

I've tried Wroclaw, Poznan, Gdansk and others from Liverpool with Ryanair but they dont fly out often & it ended up bwing fly out on a fri & home on a monday which is good 4 a GP say but not when ya want a quick trip!!

Wizzair have at least 3 flights that get back into luton at 07-30ish on the monday morning, so if you've got a good boss like mine, and you work/live in the area it's an option. Done it a few times, poznan is the best option as it's comfy for crashing out, katowice usually means hanging around the train station until the bus goes at 04-30, and gdansk we just booked a cab for 05-00. You feel crap at work all day, but at least it saves that precious thing called holiday.

Going with Wizzair, it would be possible but I suspect you'd have probelms when using Ryanair as their changeovers are so small.

It must be possible somehow.

I remember earleir in the season when Rory Schlein was injured in Poland he and Jason Crump flew home that night into Manacher (I think).

SO check out Manchester airport and arrivals on a Sunday and work backwards :)

It's rather hard to manage ...

As for Bydgoszcz, you can take Ryanair from London Stansted on Saturday evening at 17:10 and you are in Bydgoszcz on Saturday at 20:15. After the match you can fly back on Sunday at 22:20 and you are at London Stansted at 23:30. In Bydgoszcz you have direct city bus from airport to the stadium (number 80).

Eventually you can take Ryanair from Birmingham on Friday at 18:00 and you are in Bydgoszcz on Friday at 21:10. Back flight you have on Monday at 21:35 from Bydgoszcz and you are in Birmingham on Monday at 22:50.

You can also take Ryanair from Liverpool on Saturday at 16:55 and you are in Bydgoszcz on Saturday at 20:25. Unfortunately back flight is on Wednesday so it's better to take the flight to London or Birmingham.

If you need more info - just visit the Bydgoszcz airport web site http://www.plb.pl/index.php?option=com_loty&lang=en

Edited by Mama