British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jules m

Weymouth Wildcats Press Release

The Weymouth Doonan Wildcats proved to be tough opposition for Premier League side - Wightlink Islanders on Saturday at Radipole Lane, only finally conceding defeat in a last heat decider. The Islanders were forced to use the black and white helmet cover in heat 10, which was won in fine style by Cory ‘Concrete for Breakfast’ Gathercole, who made an impressive return from injury and remained unbeaten by an opponent on the night.

Both Jason Bunyan and Cory Gathercole soon got to grips with the contours of the tight Weymouth circuit and showed that they did indeed come from a different league. Heat 13 saw Jason smash the track record and slice almost a second off the time set by Lewis Bridger to record a lightning time of 51.3 seconds.

However, the Doonan Wildcats weren’t to be outdone and the capable reserve pairing of Kyle Newman and Brendan Johnson put on a sterling performance. In an enthralling heat 7 Johnson refused to be intimidated by a determined Richard Sweetman in a race that saw the awesome Aussie closely pursue the 16-year-old reserve for four thrilling laps. Johnson held his line along with his nerve to earn a well deserved point much to the delight of the home crowd. Kyle Newman also impressed with a breathtaking blast around the boards to pass Andrew Bargh going on to top score for the home side. The Wildcats went into heat 15 one point ahead, but a predictable Islanders 5-1 courtesy of Bunyan and Gathercole sealed victory for the visitors.

Weymouth Chairman, Phil Bartlett, was delighted with the Wildcats performance, “I was really pound of the lads and they certainly put up one hell of a fight. I am very grateful for the Isle of Wight promotion for stepping in at such short notice to provide us with a meeting that turned out to be one of the best of the season so far. Which is saying something, given how many thrillers have already been served up this season so far already!”

Last Sunday’s league fixture against the Buxton Hitmen fell foul to the atrocious British weather. The Buxton promotion thankfully took the decision to call off the meeting early on Sunday morning saving the Wildcats team the long trek to Derbyshire and will now be run this Sunday 14th September. In a very busy weekend the Doonan’s Wildcats face three meetings in as many days visiting Boston on Friday, Redcar on Saturday and Buxton on Sunday.

Wildcats Team Manager Jem Dicken is confident that the Wildcats can pick up six points on their travels which would give them an unassailable lead at the top of the Conference League.

This Saturday’s action at the Wessex Stadium will see many possible future stars of the sport take to the track in the third round of the British Under 15 Championships. The meeting will be divided into two classes - 500 cc and 250 cc and will include the largest turnout this season with 21 riders competing. The meeting starts at 7.15pm and will feature 22 heats of racing.

500 cc

1 Ashley Morris

2 Scott Gibbons

3 John Resch

4 James Sarjeant

5 Chris Bint

6 Joe Jacobs

7 Cameron Hoskins

8 Scott Day

9 Jason Garrity

10 Jack Butler

11 Marc Owen

250 cc

11 Marc Owen

12 Connor Dwyer

13 Nathan Stoneman

14 Daniel I'anson

15 Lloyd Barrett

16 Daniel Sibson

17 Rhys Naylor

18 Tyler Govier

19 Ben Morley

20 Jack Cornes

21 Matthew Allitt

Official Press Release by Julie Martin

Weymouth Wildcats Press Officer

Tel 07967221475

Clubcall Hotline : 09068 664663 For All The Latest Wildcats News & Results

Weymouth Wildcats Limited

www.wildcatsweymouth.co.uk

Main Team Sponsor - Doonans Sand and Gravel

Edited by jules m

Bit late I know but is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please send me a pm.

Thanks

Results

500cc

1st Marc Owen 11

2nd Joe Jacobs 10

3rd Jason Garrity 9

Scorers:

1.Ashley Morris NS

2.Scott Gibbons 3

3.John Resh 7

4.James Sarjeant 9

5.Chris Bint NS

6.Joe Jacobs 10

7.Cameron Hoskins 4

8.Scott Day 5

9.Jason Garrity 9

10.Jack Butler 4

11.Marc Owen 11

250cc

1st Ben Morley 12 (Max)

2nd Rhys Naylor 10 (after run off)

3rd Brendan Freemantle 10

12.Connor Dwyer 7

13.Nathan Stoneman 8

14.Brandon Freemantle 10

15.Lloyd Barrett 6

16.Daniel Sibson NS

17.Rhys Naylor 10

18.Tyler Govier 4

19.Ben Morley 12

20.Jack Cornes 5

21.Matthew Allitt NS

If anyone would like a scan of the race sheet,please PM me with your email,and I will happily oblige.

Edited by BobC

Results

500cc

1st Marc Owen 11

2nd Joe Jacobs 10

3rd Jason Garrity 9

Well done Marc!!! :approve:

Can anyone supply an update on how the 500cc championship stands overall after all three rounds..?

This was, of course, Marc's first appearance (in the 500cc class)..

The title's decided on the aggregate of one's best THREE Rounds (at least that's the case if, as I'm assuming, Round Four at Buxton will be the last round!?) - so am wondering if Marc can still win the title with a win up at Hi Edge; or if the fact he missed the first two rounds (due to being too young) will mean that's not mathematically possible..?? :unsure:

I quite enjoyed this meeting last night.There were one or two scarey moments,although nothing serious.How some of them retained control at times beggard belief.

In the 500's,were were all eagerly awaiting ht8,where the unbeaten Garrity and Owen were due to meet,along with,at that point,a little underpar Sarjeant.Sadly it didnt happen.In their haste,both Garrity and Owen touch the tapes,with Garrity having to go back 15 metres. In the rerun,Sarjeant flew round the outside of Owen on turns 1&2 to record an impressive win.Meanwhile Garrity had quickly got into 3rd place,but overcooked the entry to turn 1,2nd lap and dropped a chain.

In his first race,Garrity was extremely impressive.His winning time was the fastest of the night,55.2,yet could have been a couple of seconds quicker too.He slowed up on the back straight,and 3rd/4th turns of the Final lap in order not to lap Gibbons.By our reckoning(we were on the back straight),his time would have been in the low 53's.

In the 250's Ben Morley was a deserved winner.Smooth and in control at all times.Rhys Naylor has improved a lot since I last saw him race in this class.Never seen Brandon Freemantle till last night,but he rode very well to earn his right to the run off.

I genuinely take my hat off to each and every rider out there.

Well done.

ps: Parsloes: The programme notes didnt make it clear.All it said was that the riders could drop their lowest scoring round,but it didnt qualify if they kept their best 2 or 3 scores.

Edited by BobC

ps: Parsloes: The programme notes didnt make it clear.All it said was that the riders could drop their lowest scoring round,but it didnt qualify if they kept their best 2 or 3 scores.

Hi Bob.

See the following for the definitive current position.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/ind...p;#entry1321291

Am also not 100% clear how the final totals are determined but the rule book (details earlier provided by our friend from Weymouth...) suggests indeed that it'll be a total of THREE rounds with a rider's lowest score (that's if he competes in 4 rounds..) being ditched.

Hence the indicative position I hope I'm showing correctly (but my maths is pants.. :wink: ) on the other posting!!

In his first race,Garrity was extremely impressive.His winning time was the fastest of the night,55.2,yet could have been a couple of seconds quicker too.He slowed up on the back straight,and 3rd/4th turns of the Final lap in order not to lap Gibbons. By our reckoning(we were on the back straight),his time would have been in the low 53's.

Jason did get a time of 53. something. what an great night of racing. well done to all lads & bring on the next round. good luck jason !!!!

Seen Marc Owen on a 250cc at Mildenhall two or three times this season and he has looked very impressive. Good to see he has made the transition to 500cc well. Hopefully one to watch in the Conference League in a couple of years.

Apologies to Pitstop,and the Freemantle family.

It should of course have been BRANDON not Brendan Freemantle.

He rode very well,all the same!

Apologies to Pitstop,and the Freemantle family.

It should of course have been BRANDON not Brendan Freemantle.

He rode very well,all the same!

Thanks Bob for correcting that, I will do my best to be nice about Poole from now on :wink: