British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Gp World Championship..?

I see from the photo adorning this week's issue of the Star, that the trophy held aloft by Nicki Pedersen calls the title the following:

"FIM Individual Speedway Grand Prix World Championship". :shock:

I'd not realised that the words 'Grand Prix' had now formally been added to the name of the championship.. :shock:

My understanding was that when GPs replaced the old World Final this was the same championship but merely decided over a season long competition called 'GPs'. The title on that trophy suggests that, in fact, this is in effect a DIFFERENT championship: a GP World Championship..

Which begs the question, is there in fact room for another separate championship - exactly along the lines of the World U-21 but open to all age ranges, which would be entirely separate from the GP series..?

Or is that rather cheap looking plaque on the base of the piece of silverware in Nicki's hands actually got it wrong..?? :blink:

No, I don't think such a championship would have a place alongside the GPs. I rather doubt GP riders would take part, nor many of the other better riders that already have a hectic schedule. What sort of World Champion would you actually end up with? Might give Havy another chance I guess. :P