British Speedway Forum
duncrusadin

Den Cosby R.i.p.

Spotted an obituary in today's Isle of Thanet Gazette for Den Cosby, who rode for Wembley in the early fifties. Den passed away recently at the age of 81, following a fall in early January which resulted in a serious head injury. He had lived in Broadstairs since 1979. Forum members with longer memories than mine will know more about him but I have found reference to him in Norbold's excellent "Speedway in London" as having ridden in five matches for the Lions in 1952. It appears he retired at the end of that season, due to family commitments.

Edited by duncrusadin

You mentioned Den Cosby rode for Wembley in1952 - he was a member of the Wembley team in 1950 when Eric Williams first went there having moved up from Second Division to First Division. Eric and I included a 1950 Wembley team photograph in the most recent of the collections of The Eric Williams Story. If you want a copy, email me and I'll send it.

rjgarrigan@ozemail.com.au