British Speedway Forum
CookieMonster

Should World Cup Teams Be Allowed Reserves

Which would be fine, but it was abused last time as teams were naming damned good riders at reserve in order to use them in additonal races during the meeting due to dodgy withdrawals. As others have said, there is definitely a need to use reserves, but it has to be done so the facility can't be mis-used.

I don't agree. That's the tactics, makes everything more interesting. Besides, you can always work out appropriate regulations when reserves can be put in and when not.

Which would be fine, but it was abused last time as teams were naming damned good riders at reserve in order to use them in additonal races during the meeting due to dodgy withdrawals. As others have said, there is definitely a need to use reserves, but it has to be done so the facility can't be mis-used.

Agree entirely!

But maybe the answer is to allow a reserve to be used at any time?

Reserves to be used any time but up to a maximum of 3 rides.

There's no skill in allowing reserves to have 5 rides.

Why do you guys think it would be wrong to put top riders as reserves?

As i have said to stop a top rider taking rides all over the card you simply only allow a straight swap.

For example the Danish reserve would only of been allowed to take Nickis reamaining 2 rides. That would mean Denmark would of scored from the heat in which the Russian was excluded.

Reserves should definately be allowed. Even if they were to put in a rule that the reserve must be under 21 or something, its better than not having a representative in some of the races, through no fault of your own.

I agree. I was saying this last night. It would be a good way of blooding younger riders. As someone else said allow them 1 ride per session and upto a maximum of 5 rides.

I agree. I was saying this last night. It would be a good way of blooding younger riders. As someone else said allow them 1 ride per session and upto a maximum of 5 rides.

Can you imagine the uproar caused if Russia were allowed to use Emil as their reserve and put him in any heat they wanted?

IMO take a squad of 7, each rider can have a maximum of 5 rides, minimum = 0, and the rest is up to the team manager.

I agree with you Snyper. I mentioned on another thread last night that I think a sub should be allowed to take the place of an injured or underperforming rider, just as happens in any other team sport I can think of. No one can complain if its the same for everyone.

Good to see you back by the way, now behave yourself! :wink:

Lol pearcey thanks. People keep mentioning this word "be-b-beha-behave" im still trying to grasp its meaning ;)

:lol: Just don't go grasping a beehive or you really will be in trouble! :lol:

Why do you guys think it would be wrong to put top riders as reserves?

Dexter, this is very anti to the spirit of the sport.

If a rider is unable to continue because of the actions of another team (i.e. a racing incident that results in an exclusion) then that team should not be penalised.

Having a reserve would return it to a level playing field. No team manager is going to keep their best rider in reserve just in case of injury (are they???) so why put restrictions on who the reserve can be?

Personally I wouldn't support subs being introduced to the sport.

So yet again speedway is left behind by being the only team sport i can think of that doesnt allow a reserve/sub to replace someone that is injured or having an off day.

What a complete farce and shambles.

Can you imagine what a newbie would of thought? They are sat watching Sky Sports when the current World Champions lose a rider to injury. They then find out that the rules do not allow a replacement, so we have the current World Champions struggling through a man short to try and make the final to defend their trophy. Laughable.