British Speedway Forum

Oliver Allen will be celebrating 10 years in speedway when he stages his testimonial meeting at Coventry's Brandon Stadium on Sunday, August 23. It will be a 16 rider individual event with 20 qualifying heats and a Grand Final. Already confirmed starters are:

British Champion Chris Harris, fellow Bee Edward Kennett, newly-returned Ben Barker and Mr Testimonial himself, Steve 'Johno' Johnston, with more starters to follow in due course.

Olly has represented Coventry, Peterborough, Wolverhampton, Swindon, Eastbourne and Kings Lynn in his time so hopefully fans from all clubs will come and support him on what promises to be a cracking day.

For sponsorship opportunities please PM me and we'll go from there.

This testimonial stuff is out of hand.

Used to be to celebrate a rider riding for the same club for 10 years (a loyalty thing), fair enough, that hardly happens much nowadays and probably wont in the future, a rider then got one for being signed to the same promotion for 10 years, no matter how many different clubs they had, now its lowered again to just being in the sport for 10 years!!! ridiculous.

Not having a pop at Allen just the system that allows this, 27 years old, ridden for 6 clubs, been in the sport for 10 years, does this warrant a testimonial??

To be fair, Olly has been with Swindon or Coventry every year since 1999 (expect for a brief stint at the end of one season when he went to Eastbourne as Swindon dropped him). The other clubs he doubled up with.

Its harsh not to give a rider a 10 year testimonial if he was forced to move (Swindon didn't want him) after spending 7 seasons with the club.

Judging by Allen's shameless promotion of Monster drink at Brandon tonight on Sky, he must be getting so much money from his sponsors that he wouldn't need a testimonial. Every time he was interviewed he made sure he took a swig of the drink and held the Monster logo high to the camera. Sky take great pride in apologising when riders swear, but in my opinion the continual advertising is more annoying and they should stop it now. Back to the original point, I think to say that he deserves a testimonial for having ridden 10 years in the sport is not on in my book. I can understand it for riders needing a payday at the end of their career, but for a 27 year old whose best days are likely to be in the next ten years then no way.

To be fair, Olly has been with Swindon or Coventry every year since 1999 (expect for a brief stint at the end of one season when he went to Eastbourne as Swindon dropped him). The other clubs he doubled up with.

Its harsh not to give a rider a 10 year testimonial if he was forced to move (Swindon didn't want him) after spending 7 seasons with the club.

I guess the point being made is that the comment was not directed at Oliver Allen who under the current rules is fully entitled to a testimonial

The question (which was raised regarding the Bjarne Pedersen debate) was about whether a rider should get a testimonial

I have been with my employer for 28 years and after 25 years I was rewarded with a watch which probably cost £300. How does that reward after 25 years of service with a single employer relate to 10 years with a whole series of employers where a rider will probabaly maek a tidy 5 figure sum

I am all for testimonials for riders as a help when maybe they have lost earnings or injuries sustained riding have hampered 'normal' life away from speedway but a testimonial just for being around for 10 years is not something I am in agreement with because riders earn well over that period of time

Good luck to him with it though because this is NOT about Oliver Allen

Why do we get this on the Olly thread? Why not the Lemo thread on any other of the testimonal threads??

Im looking forward to see who he has riding seeing as he could have the likes of Adams, Topinka, Batchelor, Andersen, etc etc etc.

I suppose I'd be making another trip to Coventry this year then! :P

Why do we get this on the Olly thread? Why not the Lemo thread on any other of the testimonal threads??

Answer on the last line of CB's post.

As for the advertising, why not?

Riders get much needed income from sponsors, they are paid to promote the product and I thought Allen did just what he was paid to do.

Judging by Allen's shameless promotion of Monster drink at Brandon tonight on Sky, he must be getting so much money from his sponsors that he wouldn't need a testimonial. Every time he was interviewed he made sure he took a swig of the drink and held the Monster logo high to the camera. Sky take great pride in apologising when riders swear, but in my opinion the continual advertising is more annoying and they should stop it now.

Are you really suggesting riders remove all sponsorship and that Sky also remove sponsorship?

---------------------------------------------

Looking forward to this. I've become something of an Olly Allen fan. In my opinion he's something of a success story for young Brits to look to. He showed some promise as a youngster, tried the EL but it didn't work out, moved back to the PL for experience and gain confidence, had another crack at the EL when many thought there was no chance he would be good enough (myself included) and hasn't looked back since joining the Bees 4 years ago. He's now a solid EL rider that causes some upsets from time-to-time. :approve:

He needs to ditch the flat bill cap though. Cool on Yanks & Aussies but on a Brit.. not a good look. Maybe he can ask for one that fits next time..

He needs to ditch the flat bill cap though. Cool on Yanks & Aussies but on a Brit.. not a good look. Maybe he can ask for one that fits next time..

Easily the most sensible realistic post on this thread. :approve:

Well, here's another one.

Please, please, let me sort his eyebrows out. :lol:

Easily the most sensible realistic post on this thread. :approve:

We have laughed...that's himself and me, at Ollies caps..has he got a funny shaped head? I can't wear baseball caps either, they go down too far and I then look like Benny Hill.....not good :rolleyes:

I can't wear baseball caps either, they go down too far and I then look like Benny Hill.....not good :rolleyes:

Please wear a cap to Brandon next time out :lol:

It's all about being trendy innit, whether something looks good or not lol

Please wear a cap to Brandon next time out :lol:

Are you serious? :P