British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Belle Vue

The tragedy of Belle Vue is that Mancunians now travel in their hordes to Blackpool's Pleasure Beach when they used to have it all right on their doorstep.

Early start at the speedway, early finish then set them loose in the fairground, and what bliss it was too, even in the declining years of the seventies as I saw it.

Rob McCaffery.

I remember my dad saying Belle Vue fairground was expensive relative to other entertainments in those days, though I can't remember the figures. Would be interesting to find out how much the rides cost in relation to other attractions.

i have very happy memoires of belle vue i started going at the age of ten in 1951,and saw the great jack parker,he was still riding at number one,i think he was about 50 yaers old.he still scored points even then. a young new zealander ron johnston was at 2 he became my favourite till he retired,i never met him untill he visited the new track at kirky lane in the eightys it was the first time he had been back to this country for about twenty years.the late fred rodgers ex norwich and belle vue rider kindly took my photo with ron it made my day.i also saw the start of the late great peter cravens career untill sadly the end.but hyde road on a saturday night still holds magic memorys for me. and yes i also remember slant payling tink maynard ron houlston tony robinson ect from the old bubble bounce second half races,named by the top man jonnie hoskins great times i will never forget.i moved to live in plymouth in 2000 and was over the moon when we got speedway back here but the old hyde road was the best.

Edited by bw double