British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichieEarl

Best place to stay in Cardiff for the GP

Hi everyone.

I went to the GP last year and must say it is the highligh oif the year.

Where did everyone stay last year?

What are the hotels right in the centre?

Anyone got a clue?

Place to be is the Holiday inn city centre which is the riders hotel, we've stayed there for the last 2 years and its a stones throw from the stadium, more pricier option is the hilton where the posh lot from benfield stay. Im sure there are loads more options, theres a place opposite the stadium, called the Angel i think where they usually put the BSPA.

agreed about the holiday inn..the hilton is nice but expensive...the marriot also i would reccomend....jury's....big sleep(more affordable)....and if you really want to get pampered try out the st.davids spa & hotel..very swish but VERY pricey!!!..there are also plenty of guest houses on the cathedral road which is north west of the stadium....only a mile or so....but advised to book wotever you can now cos the cities accomadation gets snapped up pretty fast!!!!

if you ring this number 029 2022 7281 you will get thru to the cardiff accomation and info centre..you can request an accomadation booklet...its very helpful.

I am actually not going to say where I stayed, cos I don't want everyone else to book it!

Top tip though:

When looking for accomodation, don't use the Welsh Tourist Board site or other Accomodation/Weekend Breaks sites, in my experience, they only list the hotels with websites and e-mail addresses. Which are quickly snapped up by internet junkies - like myself.

Better to try the yellow pages website. That lists all hotels, b&bs, guesthouses whether they have e-mail, website, fax or just a phone. Last year I booked into a cracking little B&B in the centre just a week before the GP. :shock:

I stayed at my house

I've heard good reports from The Big Sleep.

There is A Thistle Hotel in Cardiff City Center (a bit expensive)

There are lots of B and B's on Catheral Road Cardiff.

You could also try Newport, there are a few Hotels near the Coldra Roundabout including a Holiday inn, a Hilton and the Celtic Manor (only if you take a mortgage out to go to the GP) (Junction 24 on the M4 I think).

Try Yell.com. It seens to search prety well.

Dave

PS Worst case senario i'll cahrge £500 to kip on my sofa

im making it a special treat that weekend & have booked a good deal at the st davids hotel & spa for the friday nite and the hilton central for the saturday nite....gonna be one hell of a party on the saturday evening!!! cardiffs a regular haunt for me on a friday nite anyway so i know all the places to stay & not to saty and also where to drink etc....if anyones up for it try club liquid but before that spend the afternoon in walkabout bar & the springbok....gets you in the mood for the evenings entertainment!!!...if your hungry dont go in R.S.V.P in the centre cos they always make an excuse of being short staffed....and if you want a good vlue quick steak & chips go to o'neills in the centre..but not the big one on st.mary st....gets too hectic in there!!...another tip if you want a stress free drink go to cardiff bay during the day..plenty of buses to use..numbers 9a or 35 are the best option routes....and pretty regular...theres a place called mermaid quay where there are loads of bars & eateries with tastes from all over the globe...well reccomended!!!

Ok forget the Holiday Inn city centre, hilton and the angel, ive just tried to book an extra room and they are all booked solid for the friday and the saturday already :shock:

I stay at Maxines on cathedral road and its fully booked already, cant say i am looking forward to Cardiff i only enjoy the weekend at least this year i am old enough to drink(legallay) :D

Ok forget the Holiday Inn city centre, hilton and the angel, ive just tried to book an extra room and they are all booked solid for the friday and the saturday already :shock:

cardiffs a nitemare to book at the best of times..but on gp weekend its scary....the holiday inn 7 the hilton are the worst because they take block bookings from benfield befoer the dates are officially announced....and wot with it being june cardiff is busy with tourists anyway.....marriott and big sleep should have someting tho still

Big Sleep is not bad within staggering distance of the Stadium but they have hiked the prices for speedway weekends now from £80 to £120 :sad: I'm booked into the Innkeepers Lodge £90 for 2 nights :D

Edited by Jive

I tried to book rooms at any of the 4 Travel Inns in Cardiff but were all full that weekend.

Big Sleep is not bad within staggering distance of the Stadium but they have hiked the prices for speedway weekends now from £80 to £120 :sad: I'm booked into the Innkeepers Lodge £90 for 2 nights :D

I think thats where BTL and mini-foghorm were last year Jive.

If so I was up there for a little cola on the Friday night and it seemed a nice enough place if a little quiet! Take your own carryout though-they didn't seem to have heard of 'residents hours'

PS Worst case senario i'll cahrge £500 to kip on my sofa

:P

I've already offered the shed for less on another thread.