British Speedway Forum

apologies that full line-up not yet released but we are awaiting confirmation of one rider in particular before finalising the full 16 --but so far looks a good solid line-up.

As for comments about the suggestions of running on GP morning there are several reasons this did not happen. On purely financial grounds could fans afford Friday night, Sat morning, GP Sat night and Welsh Open Sunday ??--crowd levels would have been seriously effected so on a commercial basis it was not thought to be viable. Next was the actual track preparation problems made worse by the fact that many of the Newport staff would be involved at Cardiff. Also there was the permission element to be allowed to run . So all in all despite it being a worthwhile suggestion it was a no-go from various angles.

Well I'm off to get a few hours kip before getting back on the phone , finalise the line-up, sort out the draw then get details to our PRO to get the programme and press releases out

That's helped out alot, thanks for taking the time to let us know. Now there is only one more thing i'm left wanting to know...

What's happening with Aspergren? :approve:

well im from pontypool only 10 mins up the road as im sure you know but the disgraceful state of newports dustbowl means i would rather support another team all day long

Why dont

personal insults removed

Edited by Phil
personal insults removed . have a kitkat

As for comments about the suggestions of running on GP morning there are several reasons this did not happen. On purely financial grounds could fans afford Friday night, Sat morning, GP Sat night and Welsh Open Sunday ??--crowd levels would have been seriously effected so on a commercial basis it was not thought to be viable. Next was the actual track preparation problems made worse by the fact that many of the Newport staff would be involved at Cardiff. Also there was the permission element to be allowed to run . So all in all despite it being a worthwhile suggestion it was a no-go from various angles.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply on here about this Laurence, much appreciated.

I'd like to respond to each of your points, firstly financial grounds. There will be 10's of thousands of speedway fans in the general locality and I'm pretty positive that a fair few of them would be able to come up with say a tenner to see a meeting instead of kicking their heels wherever they might be. Paulco has stated elsewhere that there will be about 150 Glasgow fans down for the pairs and GP who would go to support their team and that's 1500 quid for starters, never mind everybody else who'd want to come. Would the same number of Tigers' fans make another 800 mile round trip for a stand alone meeting? Questionable.

The track preparation and staff availability is fair enough (especially with a 5pm GP start) and if that had been the main point of not running then I suspect people would have accepted that.

Permission? Surely if it was logistically possible and enough people wanted to see it happen then permission should be sought and granted if it was in the interest of the sport and fans?

If as you say it was a no no from the start, why couldn't we have had a club statement to the effect that it was looked into and decided against (for whatever the reasons) so that at least we could see that Newport Speedway was considering the fans and not just ignoring the matter.

It's not the decision I'm so disappointed about, more the lack of info being disseminated about a matter that a fair few people had brought up as an idea.

This and the lack of club statement about the possibility of moving the Hornets/Plymouth meeting a couple of hours to accomodate those who might have liked to see that AND the England/Germany match is poor PR in my book and I hope to see a radical upturn in that area in the future.

Your postings are always welcome and I know that it is not part of your remit, but thanks for them anyway.

well im from pontypool only 10 mins up the road as im sure you know but the disgraceful state of newports dustbowl means i would rather support another team all day long

Your from Pontypool... that says it all. I'm surprised any one attends Somerset with your hideous commentary most weeks, you valley inbred.

Why dont you shut up you prat and crawl back under that rock from which you came from or sod off back to scumerset or pontypool wherever your from you.

Your from Pontypool... that says it all. I'm surprised any one attends Somerset with your hideous commentary most weeks, you valley inbred.

:shock: I don't believe these comments were called for.. Soon to be deleted no doubt.

:shock: I don't believe these comments were called for.. Soon to be deleted no doubt.

I beleive they where called for ,all he does is slag Newport off. Who are you to say what or what not should get deleted, your trying to make yourself look sensible (failed) ,I reckon you could be tiny tims less intelligent brother, after some of the rubbish you chat.

I beleive they where called for ,all he does is slag Newport off. Who are you to say what or what not should get deleted, your trying to make yourself look sensible (failed) ,I reckon you could be tiny tims less intelligent brother, after some of the rubbish you chat.

i was just saying what's going to happen and my opinion. Your post will most likely be deleted as it was going against the rules. I wasn't trying to look sensible, i just don't agree with the insults aimed at Tim. I'm sure Wanna is going to agree with you about the underlined. But there's going to be more agreeing with me and Tim than there will be with you. Leave out the personal insults is all i'm trying to say. They're not needed and just show how pathetic you are.

Tinytimrebel, find yourself a nice big carrot - you know where to stick it!!! :lol:

KENNETT , WILSON + MASTERS added to Welsh Open line-up:

Coventry’s England International Edward Kennett joins Redcar’s Ben Wilson and Somerset’s exciting teenage Aussie Sam Masters in the line-up for the 2010 Welsh Open Championship at Newport on Sunday (1pm start).

Kennett will start as the pre-meeting favourite for the title but will face tough opposition in what is proving to be one of the strongest line-ups assembled for the event which follows the British Grand Prix at Cardiff on the Saturday night.

Wilson showed a distinct liking for the Queensway Meadow circuit with several race wins when on duty for the Redcar Bears recently whilst Masters has been getting rave reviews everywhere he goes in his debut season in the UK.

It is a busy weekend for South Wales with the table-topping Newport Hornets in action on the Friday night with a 7pm start against Weymouth in the National League KO Cup , followed by the GP on Saturday at Cardiff then back to Queensway Meadows for this mouth-watering Welsh Open at lunchtime on Sunday.

Permission? Surely if it was logistically possible and enough people wanted to see it happen then permission should be sought and granted if it was in the interest of the sport and fans?

Have you worked with the BSPA ? :D

sure do know where to stick it....in a big pot with some lovely somerset cider and somerset pork a few onions and other choice veg...slow cooked for about 5 hours and all served with some lovely morrisons crusty bread...oh and thats the morrisons in somerset btw :lol::lol::D

That's one hell of a round trip from Pontypool to just buy some bread. Your obviously not Welsh! :blink:

WELSH OPEN LINE-UP

In what is being regarded as the strongest line-up ever assembled for the Welsh Open Championship at Newport (Sunday July 11th at 1pm ), the 15 of the 16 riders taking part have now been named.

Added to the list already announced –which has an enforced change with Wolverhampton’s Ty Proctor having to pull out due to a late call to ride for his Polish club – are former Newport rider Carl Wilkinson of Scunthorpe and Ipswich , Newport’s Australian prospect Mark Jones . Proctor’s absence gives the Newport promotion a late search for a replacement but they are confident of bringing in a suitable candidate.

Meeting co-ordinator Laurence Rogers is pleased with the final line-up despite losing Proctor to a Polish meeting, “ We have assembled a very strong and competitive line-up for this year’s title. We had riders wanting to take part who, in the end, we could not include and must thank them for their interest in the event. “

“We have tried to get a field of racers who will entertain and I think we have achieved that and on paper this looks to be a potentially superb meeting with the 16 taking part aiming to be in the top four to make the big money final –so it’s down to them to make sure they get there and this will ensure cut and thrust action right up to an action packed heat 20.”

“It is a big call for young Mark Jones in a class line-up but it will be a good indication to us as a club as to his credentials for a full Premier League team spot in 2011. He has been sensational for the Hornets in the National League and now he gets his chance to show what he can do against the big boys and he is relishing the opportunity.”

“Predicting a winner out of the field is difficult as we have a whole host of riders who excel on the Newport circuit and in Ed Kennett we have the rider they will be out to beat . It should be a superb afternoon of speedway and I am sure those travelling back home from Cardiff will be tempted to call in and witness the action!”

“We will open the gates at 11am with racing starting at 1pm with full bar and catering facilities available.”

Welsh Open Championship

1 Craig Watson Newport + Australia

2 Carl Wilkinson Scunthorpe + England

3 David Howe Scunthorpe + England

4 Jason Doyle Poole + Australia

5 Edward Kennett Coventry + England

6 Chris Slabon Poland

7 Mark Jones Newport + Australia

8 Leigh Lanham Newport + England

9 Kyle Legault Newport + Canada

10 Ben Wilson Redcar + England

11 Kevin Doolan Kings Lynn + Australia

12 Sam Masters Somerset + Australia

13 Corey Gathercole Somerset / Swindon +

Australia

14 Ryan Fisher Edinburgh + USA

15 Justin Sedgmen Birmingham + Australia

16 Kenny Ingalls Workington + USA

17 Alex Davies Newport + Australia

18 Todd Kurtz Newport + Australia

Edited by Main Man

That looks a decent line up, congratulations to all involved for assembling. I'll be paying my first visit to Newport to view the racing.

Will be coming to this one. My 1st ever visit to Newport :approve: