British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

American Touring Team 2010 October Tour!

We will be at Lakeside on 15th October. Here is our updated schedule. Of course the play off picture may change things

7th October - Sheffield

8th October - Plymouth

11th October - Belle Vue

14th Octover - Ispwich

15th October - Lakeside

There are a few venues in contention for our last spot, Lydd is one of them.

We will be at Lakeside on 15th October.

Excellent news! :approve: I guess neither David nor I being east London-based really dared to dream that Lakeside was in the frame - certainly IS close to London... well to us in East London anyhow!!! :approve:

Newcastle is added and welcomed back on October 10th - Daryl and the gang treat us very well in the North East and the fans gave us a great welcome last time. The opponents are tbc - shame we miss the Vikings by one week!

Last spot on the squad is likely to go to Jason Ramirez, who debuted last year. Jason had bad luck on the last tour (got sick from a spider bite and missed the last two races) and then broke his back in April, though he has shone in three meetings since returning including Victorville last night. Jason and his dad are working really hard to get things together in time and I hope to have 100% confirmation in the next day or two.

Interesting age range of riders;

Castro - 51

McConnell - 51

Sauer - 44

Burmeister - 26

Marquez - 24

Buman - 19

Starks - 18

Ramirez - 18

We promise you a good show!

Very pleased to say that very appropriately, both the Sheffield and Belle Vue fixtures will be in honor of Kelly Moran. The older members of the team raced Kelly on numerous occasions, the younger ones rever him as a rider who typified the Golden Age of American Speedway. For me, some of the dices between Kelly & Sam Ermolenko at Monmore Green in the mid 80's was what sold me on speedway addiction as well as becoming a fan of American Speedway. It's quite possible that without Kelly thrilling me as a kid I may not be here doing this today. He became a friend in later life and one who I will never forget.

It's going to be exhilerating and emotional to be involved with these two meetings, but it's a privilidge to be a part in this. I hope that the fans come out in huge numbers to pay tribute the most fitting way - with some old school and young American Speedway.

Thanks for clarifying the ages, Steve. I had wondered if some of the guys would be eligible for free bus passes whilst over here! A little early in Boogaloo's career to tkae part in this tour? Seriously, you're all very welcome and it will be great to re-see some from the past we never expected to see race again in England and the new boys showing us what they can do.

But don't expect an easy ride. The Brits will want to beat ya!

Glad to see Ipswich have arranged a meeting like this for end of season, I'll hope to come along on the 14th and watch the action :)

Getting close and we are all VERY excited! We have been doing a lot of fundraising in the USA to cover the costs of Minibus and petrol costs (at UK prices!!!) and are close to making our target. We had an offer from someone in the UK today to chip in, leaving us just $700 short of our target. Just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone else wanted to join the fray. These guys spend a lot of money in coming over and put on a fabulous show, so any help, big or small, really helps. PM me if you are interested!

As well as our 8 touring riders, we will also have Ryan Fisher, Chris Kerr and Ricky Wells riding for us in the Ipswich match (and hopefully Sheffield too). Before anyone does the maths (as thats 11 riders), the plan with the PL matches is to run an 18 heat, 9 man formula. Each team will field a #8 and #9 who race each other 3 times. Both teams 8 and 9 will most likely be made up of the lesser experienced Americans.

At Lakeside too we will run the same format though most likely Fish won't be available at #1 as it clashes with Edinburgh's night, so likely he will be replaced with a non American guest.

It's definitely exciting to be racing Premier Level teams (Ipswich and Lakeside will be putting out PL level opposition too)whilst a little scary as we have no idea how we will do! Whilst the American Touring Team is not affiliated to the American Motorcyclist Association, this series of races is the closest we have had in a long time to a test match series with a USA team. I'm sure those as old as me rememeber how great they were!!

Below is our traditional pre tour ebay action - this time a helmet signed by American World Champions including Individual, Pairs, Team, Under 21. So far Penhall, Hancock, Ermolenko, Hamill, Schwartz, Preston and Larsen have all agreed to sign.

Link below;

http://cgi.ebay.com/American-World-Speedway-Champions-Autographed-Helmet-/130433677429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5e73f875

Last spot on the squad is likely to go to Jason Ramirez, who debuted last year. Jason had bad luck on the last tour (got sick from a spider bite and missed the last two races) and then broke his back in April, though he has shone in three meetings since returning including Victorville last night. Jason and his dad are working really hard to get things together in time and I hope to have 100% confirmation in the next day or two.

I like the way you focus on the spider bite incident and then casually throw in the broken back as an afterthought!

At Lakeside too we will run the same format though most likely Fish won't be available at #1 as it clashes with Edinburgh's night, so likely he will be replaced with a non American guest.

It's definitely exciting to be racing Premier Level teams (Ipswich and Lakeside will be putting out PL level opposition too)whilst a little scary as we have no idea how we will do!

Don't wish to be branded a pessimist or a 'wet blanket' but I note that Lakeside make no mention yet of the Oct 15th. visit of the USA team on either the news or more importantly the fixtures pages on their web-site nor I believe in the fixtures in their programme!! :shock:

Only some of us have vivid memories of the 'London Riders Championship' (sic) which never did happen at Arena...: and THAT after a big publicity splurge!! :rolleyes:

I do hope that this meeting at Lakeside (the USA one) is going ahead but a little confirmation from that club might not go amiss... :neutral:

Been talking with John Cook a lot and we go back a ways as I used to get him Yanks for Brighton races, so I'm sure its a go!

do you have a confirmed squad to face plymouth yet ?

do you have a confirmed squad to face plymouth yet ?

Shawn McConnell, Eddie Castro, Tyson Burmeister, John Marquez, Mike Buman. Bryce Starks, Robbie Sauer