British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Iow V Dudley

Meeting has been called off :sad:

Oh dear, I feel shockingly guilty now..

I wrote in my programme notes for tomorrow's Buccs' meeting that it'll be Barrie Evans' Heathens' debut; then realised that in fact, that won't be the case coz of the IoW match the evening before... :oops:

I'm sorry that in the end my words have proven correct after all... :cry:

Forecast better for tomorrow (I hope...)..

Annoyingly the correct decision!

We arrived on the Island at lunchtime and it rained / drizzled on and off all day. The low cloud that settled over the track was not going to budge leaving a fine mizzle that was there for the duration. (Or at least 8pm when we left the bar!)sad.gif

First rain off on the Island for me, so its not too bad. Huge shame due to the big turn out but correct decision but one that could have been made earlier.

Very interesting statement, where did you get this information? I was at the track and we weren't told it was off until around 7.15.

As Bobc posted for all my sins I do the announcing and my mobile broadband was working for a change :D

The Clerk of the course told everyone who was situated around the refs box first hand as soon as the ref had made his decision.

Nor would i, must be costing them a fortune to put out that team.

By NL standards it probably is. Attendances have been good though so having got ourselves into a strong position I think the guys have made the right decision in thinking we might as well go for it now. If it costs a bit more and trims the profit margins then so-be-it. Newport are still the stronger team on paper. Our home league meeting against them could be a cracker and very telling. They're the only team to beat us easily but it was a weakened team that went down there a couple of months ago.

----------------------------------------------

I'm a bit gutted for everyone that made the trip down. But the ref has a job to do and can't take into consideration who has had to travel from where. Safety first etc.

By NL standards it probably is. Attendances have been good though so having got ourselves into a strong position I think the guys have made the right decision in thinking we might as well go for it now. If it costs a bit more and trims the profit margins then so-be-it. Newport are still the stronger team on paper. Our home league meeting against them could be a cracker and very telling. They're the only team to beat us easily but it was a weakened team that went down there a couple of months ago.

Hmm, but only as an indicator to what might happen in the Play-offs. This season is a perfect example of what's wrong with the P/O system. It could (and should) be an incredibly exciting end to the league season with some crucial matches to go which would be massive thrillers in connection with who tops the division and claims the championship... But instead it's really irrelevant who finishes top and in fact the excitement's actually about the battle for 4th. :blink:

The Play-off apologists will step in and say I'm wrong but this is the reality of the situation. :neutral:

Don't get me wrong, as a Buccs' fan I'll take 4th. and then a strengthened (hopefully...! :blink: ) Bournemouth "doing a Weymouth '08" and winning the P/Os; but even though I'd celebrate that, it doesn't prevent me from thinking that it would be a whole lot better (and fairer and yes, more exciting as it happens... :rolleyes: ) for the team who finishes top (which may well be Dudley...) to be crowned champs...

FERRIES A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW

It’s expensive being a speedway fan these days, what with travel food, admission, programmes etc but WIGHTLINK FERRIES The sponsors of the Isle of Wight in conjunction with the Island speedway (are offering fans who travelled to Tuesdays rained off match against Dudley) have acted to try and help those who arrived at the stadium from the mainland.

Any fans who travelled by WIGHTLINK to the meeting, can send their proof of purchase when the meet has been rained off i.e. they can send in a receipt/copy of bank or credit card statement showing the transaction to WIGHTLINK Ferries and they will refund their monies. (full details below)

A spoke person said, we really do appreciate the support we get and Dudley fans made a long trek to see their team, many people gave up a lot of time to make the effort, only for the rain to spoil the day.

We really do want to thank them and also say a big thank you to WIGHTLINK our sponsors who have once again shown they care about our club and those who support it, there really would be no speedway on the Island without them.

Applications for refunds should be sent to; Kerry Jackson, Marketing Manager, Wightlink, Isle of Wight Ferries, Gunwharf Terminal, Gunwharf Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2LA :D

Edited by KenB1

FERRIES A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW

It's expensive being a speedway fan these days, what with travel food, admission, programmes etc but WHIGHTLINK FERRIES The sponsors of the Isle of Wight in conjunction with the Island speedway (are offering fans who travelled to Tuesdays rained off match against Dudley) have acted to try and help those who arrived at the stadium from the mainland.

Any fans who travelled by WIGHTLINK to the meeting, can send their proof of purchase when the meet has been rained off i.e. they can send in a receipt/copy of bank or credit card statement showing the transaction to WIGHTLINK Ferries and they will refund their monies. (full details below)

A spoke person said, we really do appreciate the support we get and Dudley fans made a long trek to see their team, many people gave up a lot of time to make the effort, only for the rain to spoil the day.

We really do want to thank them and also say a big thank you to WIGHTLINK our sponsors who have once again shown they care about our club and those who support it, there really would be no speedway on the Island without them.

Applications for refunds should be sent to; Kerry Jackson, Marketing Manager, Wightlink, Isle of Wight Ferries, Gunwharf Terminal, Gunwharf Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2LA :D

What a fantastic gesture.

Normally we choose the Speedway special for the car and meeting entrance. But this year we went for the Car and Theme park entrance (£1 difference between the two offers).

Not that we were being pessimist, just realists!

So we wont be claiming anything back as we had a good, but damp day on the island - but what a brilliant gesture for all those who were just attending the meeting.

Well done Wightlink, without who, speedway on the Island would probably not exist. Guess someone from the Islanders must also had something to do behind the scenes. So well done to them too .

Fantastic gesture.

With your permission I would like to copy your post to the Cradley forum. Is that okay?

Well done and a big thank you to "Wightlink" i have copied and pasted on The heathens website http://cradleyspeedway.proboards.com/index.cgi? and i am sure they will be apreciative, when they finally get back, as the majority will still be down on the South Coast for tonights meeting against the Buccs.

I dont know if we have double copied on there 21st, but you could send a copy to the Express & Star, bit of publicity for "Wightlink Ferries" :wink: 1 good turn deserves another.

Fantastic gesture.

With your permission I would like to copy your post to the Cradley forum. Is that okay?

Yes of course, it is for all and we are sorry you didnt get to see your team race and of course a narrow "islanders" win ;)

Edited by KenB1

I dont know if we have double copied on there 21st, but you could send a copy to the Express & Star, bit of publicity for "Wightlink Ferries" :wink: 1 good turn deserves another.

I say that you beat me to it mate. :)

I know Tim Hamblin who does the reports for the E&S so I'll ask him if he could get a line in on the next speedway news that's in the E&S.

Yes of course, it is for all and we are sorry you didnt get to see your team race and of course a narrow "islanders" win ;)

After losing at Bournemouth last night we could do with nicking a draw at your place if you can find it in your heart to stretch that far rather than narrow win?!! :lol::P

Hmm, but only as an indicator to what might happen in the Play-offs.

I agree with you. I don't like the play-offs and would rather whoever tops the league take the title. Whether that be Dudley, Newport or even one of Buxton or Bournemouth then so-be-it. Just 3-points separate the top four now but the run-in is somewhat ruined by the fact that ultimately it doesn't really matter what order they finish in as all four look destined for the play-offs, although Rye still have a slim chance with their meetings in hand.