British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

The Semis And Final In A Gp

So what wrong with having GP like we have at present and a world individual champion like we had under the old system. After all other sport have two champions

I also agree with this. the way I see is it is that the World Individual Championship would be held after the GP season finishes. Top8 from the GP, plus 24 other riders (probably determined by placing in national championships, for example, top4 from Polish final, top 3 from Swedish and Danish finals, top 2 from Aussie, Russian and British Finals, and national champ of top 8 other nations), competing in semi-finals - top8 to go through. and then a one -off final, with big sponsored prize money, over the clasic 20 heat format, venue to be rotated on a five year cycle between poland, denmark,swededn, britain and rotating "minor" nation.

I'm not knocking the current system but changing it from the old eliminator and winner takes all format to me was a bit of a cop out. I can see the reasons behind it but isn't it a bit like saying actually the elite league title shouldn't be decided by basically a knockout and changing it to the top four teams contesting semi finals with the winners earning extra points as per an ordinary league match and double points for winning the final being added to the teams season totals thus the winning team of the elite league playoff final aren't necessarily the champions?

I think scrapping the semis and finals in the grand prix would seriously devalue it as a spectacle and I would rather have the current system than just adding points from 5 rides but my preference would be a format where the winner of each grand prix should come away with the most points.