British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star in Exile

2010 U.s. Open Series, New York

Briefly...

This past weekend saw the running of the 2010 US Open Series in New York. The series is two nights of racing run at (current) NY tracks Action Park, Greene and Champion Speedway in Owego.

On Saturday night at Action Park the main final was won by NY's Adam 'the missile' Mittl. Some of you may remember Adam as a member of the USA Dream Team back in 2006. Tommy Hedden of CA. (the 2009 US Open Champion) was second, Casey Donholt NY was third, Mike Faria fourth and Josh Larsen trailed off in fifth place

On Sunday night the racing was tremendous and the 'A' Final was run over 4 heats, featuring, Josh Larsen, Tommy Hedden, Mike Faria, Adam Mittl and Casey Donholt, the top 4 riders each taking a turn on different gates.

And after four heats, Tommy Hedden and Josh Larsen finished level on overall series points. A run-off was required. In the first attempt at the two lap run-off, Larsen took the lead but Hedden got caught up in Larsen's machinery and took both of them to the ground. So we had a re-start with both riders, no penalty for Hedden and the reigning US Open Champion didn't make a mistake the second time, holding Larsen at bay to hold on to his crown.

Larsen rode brilliantly for someone who hadn't been on a bike for over two years and obviously still loves his speedway judging from his smiling face throughout the two days. NY's Mikey Buman who will be riding in the UK for the USA Touring Team this October finished 7th overall (2nd in the B Final) and was on and off both nights. I have seen him ride much better than this in the past.

There are great pictures from Saturday night's racing at http://tinyurl.com/282csm4.

995471625_3GRYv-S-1.jpg

I have some pictures from the Sunday event (incl many of Larsen and Dukie Ermolenko) which will be up on my blog soon. I will post a link in this thread when they are up there...

Edited by Star in Exile

Points accumulated over 2 meetings.

1. Tommy Hedden 55 (Hedden wins runoff)

2. Josh Larsen 55

3. Adam Mittl 49

4. Casey Donholt 45

5. Mike Faria 41

=6 Tuff McBride 35

=6 Jeremy Parsons 35

8. Dukie Ermolenko 34

9. Jerry Harman 32

10. Mikey Buman 30

11. Dave Clark 27

12. Brian Hollenbeck 26

13. Gene Bonsignore 21

14. Keith Hawkins 19

15. Russ Cornell 15

16. Andy Crawford 12

17. Jeff Garlinghouse 9

=18. Corey Brookes 8

=18. Lee Bailey 8

20. Shawn Engel 2

Edited by Star in Exile

I have updated my blog with pictures and video and a report from the first of the two US Open Events at Action Park. A more detailed report with plenty more pictures and videos from the second day's event at Champion will follow soon.

Briefly...

This past weekend saw the running of the 2010 US Open Series in New York. The series is two nights of racing run at (current) NY tracks Action Park, Greene and Champion Speedway in Owego.

I have some pictures from the Sunday event (incl many of Larsen and Dukie Ermolenko) which will be up on my blog soon. I will post a link in this thread when they are up there...

What sort of attendances did these meetings attract? (fingers crossed for good news)

Paul,

NY Speedway mtgs these days can get close to 700-1,000 I have heard, but the meetings I have been to are around the 300-500 mark.

California speedway tracks can get much larger crowds for the bigger meetings.

The Canadian tracks are approx the same as the NY tracks - and remember, these tracks are not just running speedway bikes on the program but include Quads, Flat Trackers, Go Karts etc.

What sort of attendances did these meetings attract? (fingers crossed for good news)

My last post on the subject...

If anyone is interested in seeing extended video highlights from the US Open Series in NY from labor

day weekend, my videos are now up.

Champion Speedway event is here

and includes the

last 3 of the 4 'A' Finals and the two lap run-off.

Action Park is in two parts starting with

To watch all of them from one click go here

http://www.youtube.com/user/StarsInExile

and I have been writing up reports (AP so far) with links to videos in my blog

http://speedwayexile.wordpress.com/