British Speedway Forum
stressed

Wildcats Vs Usa Touring Team

WILDCATS FACE AMERICANS IN FIXTURE ADDITION

By Weymouth Speedway ~ Wednesday 6th October 2010

Weymouth Weyline Wildcats have arranged a final team fixture at the Wessex Stadium against the visiting Touring American Team this Saturday at the Wessex Stadium at 7.15pm. Read full article HERE

What a great decision by both Phil Bartlett and the Touring USA team. I think the Americans will have a lot of fun and the Weymouth public a lot of entertainment.

Weymouth is a long way from where I live, but the weather forecast is dry and warm so I shall try my luck with the wife and ask if she fancies a weekend in Weymouth!

Thanks to Phil for solving our fixture problems. He's helped us a lot over the years and its fitting his era at Weymouth gets one more American visit. We are really up for this one!

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Anyone at all?

A lively meeting on an extremely dusty track.

Scores...

Weymouth

James Cockle 3,3,2,3,3 = 14 Only beaten by Mad Dog.

Brendan Johnson 0,0,1,1,1' = 3+1 On a 5-1 in Ht8 with half lap to go,when fuel line broke.

Tom Brown 2',2',3,1',1,1 = 10+3 After nasty crash in Ht5,laid down to miss Burmeister,did very well on his farewell.

Karl Mason 3,3,1,3,0 = 10 Steady,battled all the way.

Adam McKinna R/R

Richard Andrews 1,1,0,1 = 3 Picked up the odd point,match winning ones though!

Gary Cottham 3,1,x,3,2 = 9 Should have been excluded in the 2 races he finished without a complete exhaust!

USA

Tyson Burmeister 2,fx,2,2 = 6 Good effort,unlucky in Ht5,fell as he led Tom Brown who clattered into him.

John Marquez 1',1,2,1' = 5+2 Solid if not spectacular

Mike Buman 0,2',fx = 2+1 Big learning curve for him.

Shawn McConnell 1,3,3,6,2 = 15 Rolled back the years with a superb display.Knocked off team mate in Ht10,but ref exc wrong rider!

Eddie Castro 2',2,2,0 = 6+1 Kept his lines well,very steady.

Robbie Sauer 0,0,0 = 0 Off the pace.

Bryce Starks 2,3,0,3,2',0 = 10+1 Excellent performance.Very exciting.When asked what he thought of the track,before the meeting,he said it 'looked big'! Welcome to GB matey! I do like what Ive seen of him.

Steve Evans...Sincere thanx for bringing the team over.They once again do you credit.Im unlikely to see them race again over here,so Best Wishes for a successful remainder of your tour.

Oh and finally,as a Poole fan,Ive taken a lot of stick from Sandie,at Plymouth yesterday and Weymouth tonight,after Coventrys win on Monday.Fair play.That I can take,but laughing at my 1999 programme board featuring Mark Loram is going too far! Seriouisly well done Sandie,I know how hard you are working with the merchandise.

Americans have always been great entertainers in Speedway as they proved yet again despite another ultra slick track at the Wessex. A pity that there was the smallest crowd I have seen for a team meeting at Weymouth peering through the dust storm to watch them.

Actual passing was at a premium but there was plenty of close racing with riders from both teams pushing each other for 4 laps around the blue grooves which developed in the first 2-3 heats on both bends.

Inevitably Shawn McConnel led the way in the entertainment stakes but it was number 7 Bryce Starks who got the crowd talking. Along with Tyson Burmeister he looks a good prospect for any PL team willing to be patient with him for a season or two.

For Weymouth James Cockle led the way as he has so often this season and he had good support from Karl Mason.

It was also great to see Tom Brown getting the chance of some deserved doughnuts on his last home appearance for the Wildcats.

All in all not a bad meeting but so sad to see such a pitifully small crowd.

:(

Have to agree with Wessex Wanderer, dust, dust and more dust and a blue groove after 2 heats!

What a dismal example of track preparation, as a first time visitor to Weymouth, one of a group of four, will not be in any hurry to return based on this visit. Yes the racing was close but only the one line, what a waste! Make the gate fine, don't and goodnight.

No idea of crowd levels but thought there was a fair number of people there but if that was thought of being a bad crowd, then the support is there or has been there, perhaps the late addition didn't help?

Such a let down by the track, get it right and people will return, get it wrong and boy, no second chances. As a first timer, perhaps others can add comments on how the racing in general has been re passing opportunities but last night was dire and devoid of any and would like to think last night was a one off, but if not, why wasn't the effort put in to get the track right - good track, good racing, otherwise, it's just follow the leader. To me, that's not what I go to speedway for.

Facilites can be added later, where though might be a challenge in such a small space! Why no chips on sale either was a mystery, anyone know why? Have to say, as a result, had the bacon buttie, yum!

I understand it is up for sale but that surely is no excuse especially given the visitor's efforts to put on this tour for last nights track preparation. Inexcuseable.

Just my view of course!

A

Actual passing was at a premium but there was plenty of close racing with riders from both teams pushing each other for 4 laps around the blue grooves which developed in the first 2-3 heats on both bends.

Those blue grooves joined up in the end to make one big blue groove. Like Wanderer says the American team visits don't disappoint. Shawn McConnel very exciting to watch but like BobC, I think he caused the stoppages in TWO races. The eight one in heat fourteen kept the Wildcats on their toes for the last one. Poor track, poor crowd but still enjoyed meself. Long may Weymouth speedway continue (please someone :neutral:)

Bin :wink:

Just read the report on the Wildcats website, Tom Brown quoted as saying "The track tonight was the best it has been all year, obviously it was a bit slick, its a shame it couldnt off been like this all year smooth, which makes for safer racing"... hmmm, my view as a spectator and thus someone who pays admission money, it was poor entertainment, if that is the best, I'd hate to see it at its worse!

I note the chairman bemoans the attendance, but to my mind, poor track, poor racing, no crowd! As I said, first time visitor and told as I saw it. Based on that, we saw nothing to want to return if that is a sample of the racing served up week in week out!

However, that said, if the track produced quality racing, week in, week out, then that would be different proposition.

Of the Americans, as previously said, I agree, Tyson and Bryce, two to watch, the latter, impressive and unlucky to shed a primary chain in the last heat. Would be a good gamble in the premier league if they could be given a decent run in a team.

Edited by oldswindonsupporter

In fairness to the crowd the race was only put on 5 days before so it missed the Speedway Star plus it was on an off race night. The track was slick and after heat 5 I told the team to ride it like Costa Mesa and then we were pretty even. Thanks to Phil Bartlett - I know he has his knockers but this guy has helped us a lot over the years and is very easy to work with. Good luck for the future bud!

Just a thought but if no one comes in to buy the club I wonder if it would be possible to run it as a training track so that at least there is always the potential to bring the club back. The training schools always used to be popular and its a nice little track to start on.

I made an announcement last night to apologise for the dust which was due to the track being relaid this week. It was decided not to water it much as it would just rut up with the old ruts etc coming back through.

This afternoon I spoke with one of the people responsible for working on the track this week and he explained that after this week they will be able to water to a higher degree without the risk of damaging the track.

Addressing the lack of support through the turnstiles, it dosen't help when ill informed people decide to continually post negative comments on live updates and Facebook as well as this forum to a lesser extent. If they were real Speedway supporters then they would keep it zipped to that the support base isn't damaged any further which could possibly put off the prospective new purchaser(s).

Hope that helps. :wink:

There are a number of training sessions already arranged with the first four dates on the Wildcats website, these will run until a new buyer takes over the club and hopefully whoever the new buyer is :P will allow and support the rest of the dates that we have penciled until April 2011.

I made an announcement last night to apologise for the dust which was due to the track being relaid this week. It was decided not to water it much as it would just rut up with the old ruts etc coming back through.

This afternoon I spoke with one of the people responsible for working on the track this week and he explained that after this week they will be able to water to a higher degree without the risk of damaging the track.

Addressing the lack of support through the turnstiles, it dosen't help when ill informed people decide to continually post negative comments on live updates and Facebook as well as this forum to a lesser extent. If they were real Speedway supporters then they would keep it zipped to that the support base isn't damaged any further which could possibly put off the prospective new purchaser(s).

Hope that helps. :wink:

There are a number of training sessions already arranged with the first four dates on the Wildcats website, these will run until a new buyer takes over the club and hopefully whoever the new buyer is :P will allow and support the rest of the dates that we have penciled until April 2011.

Good luck to you guys Tim. I have always enjoyed the Weymouth track and the people surrounding it. Phil has always been great with us Americans.