British Speedway Forum
chris1

Newport V Buxton - Nl Playoff 29/10

IN THE EVENT OF A RAIN OFF ON SUNDAY THE TITLE WILL BE DECIDED BY 1 LAP OF THE TRACK..WHEELBARROW RACE..TALLEST AND SHORTEST FROM EACH TEAM...TALLEST PUSHES..BOXERS OR SWIM TRUNKS ONLY + WELLINGTONS (ANY COLOUR)..HELMETS TO BE WORN FOR H+S REASONS....ROCK, PAPER SCISSORS TO DETERMINE INSIDE GATE POSITION....3 PM. :P

This is a disgrace. Hornets fans (not too mention the riders), will feel short-changed by this turn of events. Once again, I'm going to have to defend Speedway's bizarre politics to my work colleagues (who all knew I was looking forward to watching the Final of a National competition), while they safrican american behind their hands at our sport's inadequacies! Another total farce!

......and they wonder why we can't get people through the turnstiles....????!!!!

Buxton have beaton Newport 4 times this season and finished above them in the league so the title should be theirs if sunday rained off,happens. :D

Buxton have beaton Newport 4 times this season and finished above them in the league so the title should be theirs if sunday rained off,happens. :D

Regardless of what has gone before, the title should be decided on the the rules set down, otherwise we will have Poole declaring themselves as Elite league Champions

It doesn't really matter who is the best team or what the rules are, if someone wants things his way then the BSPA will go that way, now who ever topped the league on the 3rd week of say May then why can't they be champions I am sure the BSPA will agree.

The sooner the running of speedway is taking away from the self interests of the BSPA the better.

Surprised it`s off,I live a mile from the track and we haven`t had much rain.Just been down by the track and it`s fairly dry.

Perhaps we couldn`t raise a team,oops.

Well Dave you must know more than Steve and John Mallett who made the decision after walking the track this morning whilst on the phone to me and after looking at three weather forecasts.

Having spent four days sorting out the guests to cover Todd and James in both legs I can assure you we DID have a team. Nick Simmons was due to guest for Todd but has been ill in bed all week and Darren Mallett arranged to have a day off work to guest for us in his place -- a BIG thank you to him and to Dale Allitt at Kings Lynn for all his help.

After all did we really want to just have the league title decided on just an away leg ?? If there was any chance of running we would have and Steve rang me about 6 to say that it was raining then so the decision was the right one.

So in the EL we have a team finishing half way down the table being declared champions and the NL can't complete their play-offs. What a crazy way to decide league winners the play-offs are.

Irrespective of how much rain we've had (and I live here too, so I too have my own view), ALL of the people involved in the management and administration of this sport (and that includes Main Man and the Malletts) have to question why we struggle to fit in important fixtures like this, before the last weekend of the season. Until and unless you can get that right, we will NEVER raise the profile of the sport. When it's good, it is the best sport in the world, but it's all too often spoilt by chaotic and shambolic management and administration. That's why we will never be taken seriously by other sports and by the media.

If the home and away Playoffs cannot be riden then Dudley should be declared as Champions , as they finished top of the Qualifiers, and yes I live in Newport and support the hornets , but this Farce has gone on to long, DUDLEY are Laegue CHAMPIONS

A few times in the past, the season has run into November. Can't the meeting at Newport be held next week?

A few times in the past, the season has run into November. Can't the meeting at Newport be held next week?

For the last few years there's been an unwillingness on the part of the BSPA to allow the season to run into November. Is it something to do with insurance - I'm not sure. To allow a league championship to be decided like this though is a total farce. Dudley (who are the champions in all but name) must be pig sick.

well they would,nt extend the play off deadline to fulfill the fixtures to get the proper teams in so why should they ...that would look unfair :blink:

Well Dave you must know more than Steve and John Mallett

Some may say thats not that hard!! :wink:;)

If the home and away Playoffs cannot be riden then Dudley should be declared as Champions , as they finished top of the Qualifiers, and yes I live in Newport and support the hornets , but this Farce has gone on to long, DUDLEY are Laegue CHAMPIONS

For the last few years there's been an unwillingness on the part of the BSPA to allow the season to run into November. Is it something to do with insurance - I'm not sure. To allow a league championship to be decided like this though is a total farce. Dudley (who are the champions in all but name) must be pig sick.

Dudley have finished top of the league on pts difference only, in fact Buxton have won more meetings than them. They are not league champions as they were defeated in the semi finals of the play offs. Everyone knows that the championship is decided on playoffs before the season starts. People may argue that it is not fair but that is what the promoters want and agree to. When Weymouth won the CL title a couple of years ago I think they finished in fourth spot in the league table but they won the playoffs and were quite rightly crowned Champions. This years EL saw Poole miles ahead of anyone for most of the year but Coventry won the playoffs and are EL Champions. Under the play off system finishing top of the league is irrelevant.

Edited by Jayne