British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest old jap

Charles Knott Jnr.

Guest old jap

OBITUARY

CHARLES KNOTT Jnr.

Former Poole Promoter Charles Knott has passed away in his home town of Southampton on Thursday 27th February, at the age of 88.

Born at the outbreak of the First World War, Charles was the son of former Southampton Promoter Charlie Knott who was always so affectionately referred to as 'The Guv'nor' by the Southampton Riders.

His involvement with the family business at Southampton’s famous Banister Court Stadium ultimately saw Charles promoting the Poole Pirates in the early 60’s. A unique situation where father and son had the honour of taking their respective teams to the top of both their Leagues in 1962, when Southampton won the National League and Poole won the Provincial League under the Knott family management.

The Knott’s were prominent and respected businessmen in Southampton, and today, the site of the former Speedway Stadium is a luxurious housing development called Charles Knott Gardens.

Charles Jnr’s. achievements were not confined to his Speedway interests, for he was also one of Hampshire cricket's greatest servants.

Charles Knott was chairman of Hampshire's cricket committee for 21 years until 1988, and played for his County for over 15 years from the end of the Second World War. During his chairmanship Hampshire won the county championship in 1973, the Benson & Hedges Cup in 1988 and the John Player League three times in 1975, 1978 and 1986.

His other involvements with the Southampton Stadium saw him and his father promoting everything from Speedway to Stock Cars, Ice Hockey and at one time, the Greyhound Track at Banister Court even hosted Cheetah Racing.

Charles will always be remembered as a quiet Gentleman who was liked and respected by everybody who met him.

Charles Knott is survived by his wife, Iris, and two daughters, Dawn and Gaye.

CHARLES KNOTT

Born: 26 November 1914, Southampton.

Died: 27 February 2003, Southampton.

IN LOVING MEMORY

Not everyone on the site can claim to know what this man did for

speedway. He was an innovator when speedway was in the doldrums.

I am saddend, but his legacy lives on. A true man

Guest torilewis

To all who are interested. I am Charles' grandaughter, Gaye's daughter. Iris has received incredible support from friends and family since his death in February and on behalf of Nanny and the whole family this is just a note to thank everyone very much.

There is a memorial Cricket match at the Rosebowl on 13th August to commemorate his work for the club and indeed the sport.

If there is anybody who would like to make contact with Iris, Gaye, or Dawn, please do let me know. Thank you all again. Tori .

Hello Tori,

I made the original posting about your Grandfather's passing under 'Old Jap'.

It had occured to me that so many people who have contributed such massive amounts to the sport, get forgotten once they are no longer in the limelight.

It happened when we lost Bert and I felt that your Grandfather's contribution to Speedway, being somewhat overshadowed locally by his contribution to the world of Cricket, may have not been properly recognised, and for that reason, I felt it should be brought to the media's attention in Speedway circles. I do hope the family didn't mind.

I wrote to the Speedway Star and Nigel Pearson and informed them of Charles' passing, as a result of which, a rather nice article appeared in the Star. I have a copy which I should be pleased to pass on to your Grandmother whenever possible.

I also have some photographs which I am sure she would like to see. Amongst them, I have a photo of Bert and Rose, with Charles and Iris at the Royal Command Perormance which I think was in 1965.

I did see your mother in Ashurst a couple of years ago, but have no contact points for her.

If you would like to let her have my office number, I would be delighted to go to The Wickets and see Mrs Knott.

I was at Charles' funeral but did not go back to the Hilton afterwards, so never actually got to convey my sympathies to the family, which I did want to do, given the close friendship that existed for so many years between my parents and Charles and Iris.

I will look forward to someone getting in touch should they so wish.

My very warmest regards to all the family.

# Name Removed #.

Sports Replay (Southampton) Limited

49-53 Queensway

Southampton

SO14 3BL

Tel: 023 8022 6625

Fax: 023 8022 6629