British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ImpartialOne

Top 20 Foreigners Of The 80s

Had this been done? I saw mention of it in the top 20 Brits of the 80s but no thread.

Anyway, off the top of my head:

1. Hans Nielsen.

2. Erik Gundersen.

3. Bruce Penhall.

4. Shawn Moran.

5. Tommy Knudsen.

6. Sam Ermolenko.

7. Billy Sanders.

8. Dennis Sigalos.

9. Jan O. Pedersen.

10. John Cook.

11. Jan Andersson.

12. Kelly Moran.

13. Bobby Schwartz.

14. Phil Crump.

15. Ole Olsen

16. Lance King.

17. Bo Petersen.

18. Mitch Shirra.

19. Kai Niemi.

20. Egon Muller.

Possibles: Jimmy Nilsen, Per Jonsson.

John Cook maybe a bit high in the list?

Edited by ImpartialOne

1. Bruce Penhall

2. Hans Nielsen

3. Erik Gundersen

4. Shawn Moran

5. Jan O Pedersen

6. Dennis Sigalos

7. Sam Ermolenko

8. Tommy Knudsen

9. Billy Sanders

10. Kelly Moran

11. Egon Muller

12. Jan Andersson

13. Ole Olsen

14. Lance King

15. Bobby Schwartz

16. Per Jonsson

17. Jimmy Nilsen

18. Mitch Shirra

19. Larry Ross

20. Kai Nieme

Petersen, Cook and Crump were the closest other riders to making my list.

I think it says it all about how awesome Penhall was that he retired in 82, and is still top of both these lists. I'd largely agree with the names here, and maybe include Eddie Jancarz and Zenon Plech, who could only dream of the kind of backing the top Poles get these days.

Edited by Bryce

I think it says it all about how awesome Penhall was that he retired in 82, and is still top of both these lists. I'd largely agree with the names here, and maybe include Eddie Jancarz and Zenon Plech, who could only dream of the kind of backing the top Poles get these days.

I had Penhall down as number 3, purely because Hans and Erik were so dominant throughout mist of the 80s I couldn't see anyone else matching them, although it would have been an interesting battle had Bruce continued.

I gave it to Hans in the end as I think average wise and overall gold medal wise he was the better of the two. Sam is up there due to his awesome 1985 final and his continued progress and was in great form in 89 before his bad longtrack smash.

Knudsen for his 81 final, consistency and the fact he was almost world champion twice.

Sigalos for his form leading up to his injury and I feel Siggy would have been odds on for world champion in the mid 80s but for his retirement.

Egon is in there only for his title in 83 but apart from that he doesn't really compare.

Ok here goes, my best johnny foreigners of the 80s.

1.Hans Nielsen(world champ 3 times in the decade and came mighty close in 85 and 88. The rider of the 80s).

2.Erik Gundersen (three world titles and numerous team and pairs golds with the all dominant danes!!).

3.Bruce Penhall(two quick world titles along with a world team cup and pairs win, could have won in 83 as well).

4.Shooey Moran(consistantly at the top throughout the decade, just a shame he didnt make enough world finals!!!).

5.Tommy Knudsen(match winner for the Danes in the 85 world team cup, also really unlucky in the 86 final, when Hans clattered into him!!).

6.Sam Ermolenko(shock 3rd place in 85 but just got better and better as the decade progressed).

7.Jan O Pedersen(similar to Sam improved greatly as the decade concluded, as proven by his BLRC win in 88).

8.Dennis Sigalos(so unlucky with that ankle injury when just about at his peak otherwise he would have won a world title).

9.Jellyman Moran(most exciting rider ive ever seen, pretty good record in world finals considering his gating wasnt great!!).

10.Jan Andersen(Swedens outstanding rider of the decade and Readings No1 of the 80s).

11.Lance King(came close to winning it in 84 after getting a max in the overseas final, never really kicked on though).

12.Cowboy Cook(similar to Kelly unbelievable on a bike, out and out entertainer!!).

13.Mitch Shirra(The best Kiwi of the decade, also won an Overseas final added with numerous world final appearances).

14.Phil Crump(sure he wasnt the force of the previous decade, but still Swindons best rider for most of the 80s).

15.Bobby Schwartz(how the hell he never made a world ind final!!!Still one of the best team captains ever, a real team player!!).

16.Per Johnsson(as the decade finished he was Swendens top rider, so unlucky with injury as im sure he could have won another world title).

17.Jimmy Nielsen(along with Per took the mantle as the dominant force for Sweden by the end of the decade, also bit underated in my opinion).

18.Peter Ravn(never one of the top danes but was a match winner in the 83 final, also never let BV down).

19.Egon Muller(83 win, but thats about it, more of a longtracker in my view).

20.Bo Pedersen (Heat leader for Hackney often overlooked for Denmark due to there indepth quality).

I had Penhall down as number 3, purely because Hans and Erik were so dominant throughout mist of the 80s I couldn't see anyone else matching them, although it would have been an interesting battle had Bruce continued.

I gave it to Hans in the end as I think average wise and overall gold medal wise he was the better of the two. Sam is up there due to his awesome 1985 final and his continued progress and was in great form in 89 before his bad longtrack smash.

Knudsen for his 81 final, consistency and the fact he was almost world champion twice.

Sigalos for his form leading up to his injury and I feel Siggy would have been odds on for world champion in the mid 80s but for his retirement.

Egon is in there only for his title in 83 but apart from that he doesn't really compare.

LOL So you did. My brain isn't that great late at night. I always think back on that night in 81 at Wembley. Simply the most thrilling meeting and atmosphere I ever experienced, and I guess that colours my perspective. The races against Olsen and Knudsen still make me tingle to this day.

Kaiser - no Billy Sanders? Almost won the 83 world pairs for Aussie single handedly, two rostrum appearances, top quality heat leader from 1980 until his tragic demise.

also, as an Aces fan you don't rate Larry Ross ahead of Peter Ravn ?(I realise it may have been personal bias towards my all time favourite rider to include him, but can't think of any acheievments that Ravn accomplished that Larry didn't).

surprised that john cook so highly rated by others, guess like kelly moran his achievements didnt quite match his speactacular riding, though of the two i think Kelly was miles ahead in terms of ability.

Kaiser - no Billy Sanders? Almost won the 83 world pairs for Aussie single handedly, two rostrum appearances, top quality heat leader from 1980 until his tragic demise.

Total mistake by myself, thats what happens when i try multi tasking(watching the superbowl while typing my list :wink:) Billy will have to slot in around no6!!!Remember one of the first times i watched him was the overseas final in 83, when the track resembled a bog!!!Billy had the title in the bag, until his last heat when trying to blast around the outside on the final bend, where he fell/slid off, gifting the title too Phil Collins i believe?(i was only 8 at the time!!).Always liked him after that, as he gave 110%. My major reason for picking Ravn is purely down too individual bias, in that i watched him race more for BV than Larry(i only started going to BV in 82!!).Some other close calls are Kai Niemi Armando Gastagna and Preben Eriksen. Good to see my hero Shooey high up in everybodys list, as JB had him around 10th!!!in backtrack :o