British Speedway Forum
Silver Bee

Moto Gp 2011

I've started the worlds thread so it's only fair that Moto GP gets some coverage too.

Probably the most unpredictable season for a while being lined up.

Rossi moves to Ducati to give the Italians a top gear 'crisis', Lorenzo was pretty much unbeatable last season and has the same package this season, Stoner goes to Honda to form part of a 3 way title assault.

Spoilers? Don't discount the likes of Spies (who has been absolutely flying, and even outperforming Lorenzo on the same bike in Winter testing), Dovi, Pedrosa and Hayden.

The big talking point was obviously Rossi to Ducati and kissing goodbye to his baby. Difficult to know how much impact he either will be allowed to have, or is capable of providing, on taming the Ducati that has had Stoner and Hayden on their arse more times than they would like.

I imagine Rossi will want to teach Jorge a lesson next season but Lorenzo if Lorenzo carries on like last year he might have too much for the Doctor. The Yamaha was passing people for fun last season and unless the other big manafucturers have done some serious work over the winter, they will struggle to keep up. Gotta be the favourite for the title.

Honda's 3 pronged attack is fairly interesting. However, I imagine it will result in Dovi being treated as a guineapig while the real emphasis goes into title charges for Stoner and Pedrosa. Showed real pace at times last season but not on a consistant enough basis to challenge Lorenzo.

For Britain? Well, after Toseland's frankly pathetic efforts during his time in the GP's it's the turn of Crutchlow on the tech3 Yamaha. Having watched him for the last couple of the season, when he is on it he really is on it. When he was winning races in world superbikes he was doing it commandingly, who can forget just how superior he was at Silvo all weekend?

He won't really be up there challenging I imagine, but there really is no pressure on him after just 1 year in world superbikes. He has been handed a golden opportunity (not sure who he had to sleep with at Yamaha to get the ride but he must have impressed in the bedroom)and I expect 'one lap' to stick in some stunning qualifying performances before fading in races. Hopefully he hasn't been in worlds long enough to be set in his ways before getting in with the big boys, however I hope if things start going wrong his confidence doesn't suffer too badly.

My prediction? Lorenzo, Rossi, Pedrosa, Spies.

Anyone else excited? Or are we expecting more rubbish hitting our screens on a Sunday afternoon?

What you going on about Alan? :D Apart from the numbers on the grid which should will be addressed with the increase from the 800's in 2012, though this years MotoGp class is more open than its been of late. Partly because Rossi has changed to a bike that so far Stoner has only been able to master, and I don’t think with all his genius the ‘Ice Cream’ maker is going to step up a notch on that bike, which is a 'point and shoot' type power delivery and still carrying an injury, and no more to prove and just that little bit older

Honda are throwing all their dangly bits at the clock this year in an attempt to win the 800’s with a three man team of Dovizioso, Pedrosa and Stoner on full HRC works bikes and also Simoncelli though on a satellite based machine - it will actually be with a full HRC spec bike.

In recent tests Simoncelli was the quickest with Stoner, Pedrosa and Lorenzo up there. I think Rossi personally is going to struggle to get the odd podium finish with these guys.

Bore fest or not I always enjoy it very much even after 40 years, so I cant wait for the season to start with the night meeting at Qatar on March the 20th, Bring it on...

It's a bit worrying that Yamaha at this late stage are still sttruggling to find a title sponsor for either their MotoGP or WSB teams.

Any chance JB? ;)

What CH? Suggest a sponsor for them or sponsor them myself? I only wished I could but most of the time these days I don’t have pot to p$ss in with retirement rapidly approaching. :D If I could go down that route I would most likely help a young speedway racer who would appreciate any help. Not a corporate MotoGP team.. ;)

What CH? Suggest a sponsor for them or sponsor them myself? I only wished I could but most of the time these days I don’t have pot to p$ss in with retirement rapidly approaching. :D If I could go down that route I would most likely help a young speedway racer who would appreciate any help. Not a corporate MotoGP team.. ;)

Just a thought...... :lol:

Im quite excited for the MotoGP this year!! I can`t see Honda missing out on the final 800 world title so Stoner or Pedrosa for me, but with factory support Simoncelli is a dark horse.

Moto2 looks very interesting - Rooting for Scott Redding he has a good chance especially if he continues on the form he finished the season on.

ond in the 125s it has to be Nico Terol :)

To be honest I spent most of last year fast forwarding thorugh the main GP races. For me the excitement lies in the 125 and Moto 2 classes. Both are full of youngsters who wish to make a name for themselves and with grids of 30+ riders it provides far more excitement that the 17 man grid of the 'main' class.

My predictions;

Moto GP - 1st Stoner 2nd Lorenzo 3rd Pedrosa

Moto 2 - 1st Iannone 2nd Bradl 3rd Redding

Moto 125 - 1st Terol 2nd Faubel 3rd Folger

Ron

Thought Qatar went well! Scott Redding was so unlucky, had probems with the front end? Great start to Bradley Smith`s debut Moto2 season with a 9th place finish - Marquez`s highside looked nasty he was lucky to come out of that unhurt.

In the 125`s there were battles for all places except first lol, Danny Kent in the points and Danny Webb just missing out on the points but still not a bad finish for a new team. If Nico Terol keeps up that pace it will be extremely hard for anyone to catch up! Nico Gasss :)

MotoGP was better than I thought it was going to be, Dani Pedrosa`s lightning start kept Casey at bay for a few laps before he ran away with it. Quite enjoyed Vale and Ben Spies` dice together. Absolute disaster for the Pramac Dukes - DePuniet suffering from cold a cold tire and ending up with his nose to the floor, and Capirex hurt his hand avoiding him, shame :( sure they`ll come back better at Jerez in a fortnight.

What did anyone else think?

Really enjoyed the main event, thought JL rode a great race and didn't he enjoy it? Makes you wonder what he'd have done if he'd won? Exploded probably.

Good ride from Cal too, all things considered. There were interesting battles all through the field, like there should be.

Really enjoyed the main event, thought JL rode a great race and didn't he enjoy it? Makes you wonder what he'd have done if he'd won? Exploded probably.

Good ride from Cal too, all things considered. There were interesting battles all through the field, like there should be.

Cal had a great one!! He posted a picture of his finger on twitter and it was a challenge to keep my dinner down :o people also forget he is also going through the same recovery as Vale so a brilliant Debut for him.

I thought JL was playing a mind game with his celebrations - who can be that happy with 2nd? haha, he proved that the Honda can be beaten. Also said that was the best race of his life?!

Cal had a great one!! He posted a picture of his finger on twitter and it was a challenge to keep my dinner down :o people also forget he is also going through the same recovery as Vale so a brilliant Debut for him.

I thought JL was playing a mind game with his celebrations - who can be that happy with 2nd? haha, he proved that the Honda can be beaten. Also said that was the best race of his life?!

Cal had a v.good ride, and I sincerely people don't pressurise him like they did with James Toseland.

To be fair, the Honda wasn't really beaten as Pedrosa only fell back because of problems with his left arm towards the end. Yamaha and Ducati are gonna have go back to the drawing board and find some serious grunt and pure pace because on the straights, the Hondas smoke 'em. The others are therefore having to risk more by taking a higher corner speed to keep up... which of course, increases the risk of falling off as a result.

What a save though it was from Rossi, I thought he was down when he was beside Spies but gammy shoulder or not, he rescued it :shock: as only Rossi could :D

Edited by chris26

Saw it live from start to finish. It was the first time I've watched it for 4 or 5 years. Inspired by local boy Cal...

But sorry, I don't think I'll bother again.

Cal had a v.good ride, and I sincerely people don't pressurise him like they did with James Toseland.

Yamaha and Ducati are gonna have go back to the drawing board and find some serious grunt and pure pace .

Hear, hear to the first point.

As for the second point, I think Yamaha could be caught between a rock and a hard place, bearing in mind the 6 engine rule that almost cost them dearly last year. Unless they've solved that one, then grunt could be a dangerous thing at this early stage of the season. Nowt wrong with their package otherwise though. Ducati on the other hand have heaps of work to do in many areas, perhaps too much for this year. My own feeling is that they'll find a compromise for 2011 and come back strong with a fire breathing 1 litre machine next year, built in Rossi's own image!!