British Speedway Forum

How did you all manage pre-Cardiff?

Well about 40,000 of them didn't go :unsure: 45k at Cardiff, 5-8k at Brandon.

good answer !

Don't you bloody start :lol:

Manchester is only 9th on the rainfall list for UK cites.

Must just be my luck then... Everytime I have been to Manchester it has rained all bar 1 time....

Do you happen to only visit during the 'rainy season'? and no that isn't 365 days of the year, lol

One pet hate i do have is when one particular ITV football commentator jumps on the fact that it is raining during a match at Old Trafford, however, he is oblivious to the fact that for days it had been, and still was, pouring down with far heavier rain in London. The number of times you hear commentators or see posts during internet discussions about it raining during an event in Manchester and they don't realise it's raining across the whole country there and then lol.

Incidentally, with regards that only 9th on the rainfall list, it's actually better than that as in Manchester we tend to get showers and not that often rain all day long. Anyway, enough! i'm becoming too British or too old talking about the weather. Oh my goodness it so belies my wild anarchist image that i'm trying to perfect :rofl:

Must just be my luck then... Everytime I have been to Manchester it has rained all bar 1 time....

Of course it doesnt rain all the time in Manchester, there is a roof over centre court at Wimbledon (London), that isnt to keep the sun out. Rains everywhere in Britain a lot, apart from the desert bit you obviously live in

Have been to Mancland 4/5 times and was most disappointed that it never rained. ;)

Cardiff is the best place for British GP, but they need to improve crowd/booze control, so there is not a further decrease of families, elderly people, women, who were peed-off by the crowd trouble in the 43640 attendance this year. :( Seems to be more Poles going now, but less Brits in past 2/3 years.

Not enough stewards and police. Drinking should be at bar area only. Perhaps family, alcohol-free, with the air-horn free zones.

My bruv will be cheesed off as he's coming over from Oz in June/July, so will miss an August meeting.

Edited by keef

TRUST me, speedway will get no more noticed at Wembley than the Millennium. I have been to the new Wembley several times and while I recognise and applaud its virtues to say that it wipes the floor with the Millennium is rubbish. And look at its location... would you like to spend a weekend there?

As a Londoner Mr Rising i would rather stay in our Capital City far more than cardiff. And more to the point probably a damn sight cheaper as well.

That you say Speedway or any other sport for that matter would not benefit from a move to wembley from the likes of Cardiff is beyond belief. Lets face it Cardiff is a dump. Been there several times for FA Cups Playoffs and also to what was home to Cardiff City (Ninian Park) and quite frankly i would feel far more comfortable in Millwall FC's New Den, I have yet to miss a British GP anywhere but for me and lots of other people the Cardiff love affair is over. Funnily enough I long for Odsal.

The one good point about Cardiff is speedway on Friday night aboout 40 miles to the south where quality speedway can bee seen at somerset at a fraction of the cost without the risk of having some drunk throw beer over you

Sadly one thing that always seems to be forgotten is the rubbish served up as racing, speedway remains four riders racing on a track for four laps. What we saw again at cardiff this year was one bend of racing in the final. For that i paid fifty four quid!

Which grounds would these be that are willing or able to allow their pitches to be either partly ripped up or covered over and yet still guarantee that the meeting will be on whatever the weather? Can't think of any off hand. Hampden is no longer the stadium it was when the Tigers rode there. COMS took out the athletics track.Old Trafford?The Emirates? Don't think so.

So it comes down to a roof does it. Utter nonsense with the rubbish served up at Cardiff this year. Pitched ripped up? Out of touch mate. Rugby League does far more damage when played at Old trafford than the laying of a track as it is done at places like Parken.

Why mention the Emirates and Old Trafford? sixty and seventy odd thousand seats simply not required for a major speedway meeting. A sold out 40000 would be far more impressive. In this current financial climate there must be a dozen or so suitable grounds that for MONEY would say yes please use our stadium. Bang smack in June with two months to get a pitch ready no problem. Can't understand this love affair with a awful city with a stadium that has no effective stewarding and has rubbish racing. Along of course with the city providing rubbish hotels at london prices.

Of course Hampden isn't the 120000 capacity it once was but even half that many seats would be far too many at the moment. If all you are concerned about is ensuring a meeting goes ahead why are you bothering to go to watch the poorest racing in the country?. I have been unlucky enough to go to abandonned postponed meeting at Gelsemkirken, Gothenberg and Vojens but i'd take all three over the Cardiff "experience"

THE British Grand Prix requires a stadium with so much more than just a speedway track. For example, over 500 people availed themselves of hospitality on Saturday, many of the corporate boxes were taken. I am sure that given how much BSI want to remain at the Millennium, and how much the Millennium want the event (now rated second only to Wales rugby internationals) a date will be agreed especially if the Olympic committee can be persuaded that the stadium doesn't have to lay dormant throughout June.

Pandering to the ponces at the expense of the masses. Sounds familiar. Shows just whats important in life these days

Stayed at home and watched on the box.

Niamh

Take it then that the majority of you never went to Bradford in 85............or an outdoor GP or World Final like Norden..........hmmm thought not..........there is more to watching the GP Series sat indoors on the TV...........

I would love to see it again at an outdoor venue and so what if it rains and has to be rearranged..........for the most part it would be the following day which would not inconvenience that many people.........

If it is at Cardiff then all well and good but when the National Stadium comes off it cannot be ruled out and I would have thought that one of the purposes of it was to hold the British GP there...........

RP

Take it then that the majority of you never went to Bradford in 85............or an outdoor GP or World Final like Norden..........hmmm thought not..........there is more to watching the GP Series sat indoors on the TV...........

I would love to see it again at an outdoor venue and so what if it rains and has to be rearranged..........for the most part it would be the following day which would not inconvenience that many people.........

If it is at Cardiff then all well and good but when the National Stadium comes off it cannot be ruled out and I would have thought that one of the purposes of it was to hold the British GP there...........

RP

THE new Belle Vue stadium will be no where near the size and standard required for the British GP ...

As a Londoner Mr Rising i would rather stay in our Capital City far more than cardiff. And more to the point probably a damn sight cheaper as well.

That you say Speedway or any other sport for that matter would not benefit from a move to wembley from the likes of Cardiff is beyond belief. Lets face it Cardiff is a dump. Been there several times for FA Cups Playoffs and also to what was home to Cardiff City (Ninian Park) and quite frankly i would feel far more comfortable in Millwall FC's New Den, I have yet to miss a British GP anywhere but for me and lots of other people the Cardiff love affair is over. Funnily enough I long for Odsal.

The one good point about Cardiff is speedway on Friday night aboout 40 miles to the south where quality speedway can bee seen at somerset at a fraction of the cost without the risk of having some drunk throw beer over you

Sadly one thing that always seems to be forgotten is the rubbish served up as racing, speedway remains four riders racing on a track for four laps. What we saw again at cardiff this year was one bend of racing in the final. For that i paid fifty four quid!

UTTER tosh...

So it comes down to a roof does it. Utter nonsense with the rubbish served up at Cardiff this year. Pitched ripped up? Out of touch mate. Rugby League does far more damage when played at Old trafford than the laying of a track as it is done at places like Parken.

Why mention the Emirates and Old Trafford? sixty and seventy odd thousand seats simply not required for a major speedway meeting. A sold out 40000 would be far more impressive. In this current financial climate there must be a dozen or so suitable grounds that for MONEY would say yes please use our stadium. Bang smack in June with two months to get a pitch ready no problem. Can't understand this love affair with a awful city with a stadium that has no effective stewarding and has rubbish racing. Along of course with the city providing rubbish hotels at london prices.

Of course Hampden isn't the 120000 capacity it once was but even half that many seats would be far too many at the moment. If all you are concerned about is ensuring a meeting goes ahead why are you bothering to go to watch the poorest racing in the country?. I have been unlucky enough to go to abandonned postponed meeting at Gelsemkirken, Gothenberg and Vojens but i'd take all three over the Cardiff "experience"

MORE tosh...

Pandering to the ponces at the expense of the masses. Sounds familiar. Shows just whats important in life these days

AND still more tosh ... just who are these ponces as you call them?

Sorry Philip I was under the impression that was one of the reasons for building it..........it seems mad to build a national stadium that could not hold a GP..........oh well time will tell........

RP

I reckon all the moaners wanting the Gp back at Wembley (albeit a different stadium to "the glory days")...They are probably 'southerners'..everything they have is the best... :rolleyes: not

Do you not think the London hotels will also note the GP weekend and raise their prices also?? This would occur wherever its held.

I say leave at Cardiff, where we were welcomed when we were looking for a stadium and its been a success thus far, suits the majority of people and the roof is the added bonus of no cancellation. :approve:

Sad as it is I'd hate to admit being a Bradfordian is that Odsal will NEVER happen :sad::sad:

Edited by emerald tyke