British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Jim Irvine

Jim rode one meeting for Scunthorpe in 1972. Can anyone help me out with his date and place of birth please, or at least his nationality ?

Jim Irvine - now that's a name from the past, only last year I was putting together a new series of speedway articles for our local paper the Scunthorpe Telegraph's Biking Bygones specials and whilst sifting through some old photographs came across one of myself with a caption pencilled on the reverse ' pre season practice chasing Jim Irvine's rear wheel ' which got me thinking as to what happened to him, I reckoned him to be around 21 at the time so he would have had a birth date of about 1950 give or take a year or so. He came from I believe the North East as he had a Geordie type accent, not a heavily Scots one. He did indeed have only the one outing, the meeting at Berwick on July 1st 1972, where he raced in two heats as partner to my old mate Ian Wilson finishing third in both behind Ian thereby grabbing two bonus points to go with his two earned ones making four in all, an average of 8 per meeting, in fact easily the top average for the Saints that year, we very nearly won the meeting (38-40) due in part to his efforts. What amazed me was that he'd waited all season to make his league debut and then simply vanished into thin air, a handy rider to have around, he may have been a former grasstracker as he handled himself pretty competantly. Whatever happened to him, I also would be interested to know.

Rod Haynes.