British Speedway Forum
Clint

Telford Indoor Ice 26th February 2012

I only went to the afternoon meetings and throughly enjoyed it. Thought there was a good crowd in for the final one.The minutes applause given to the late Ian Thomas was very nice considering all that he did for this event in its history. :approve:

Good win for England in the first meeting, they had much more than the ROW select side. Only Smoli and Wizzer looked any good for them. The Pairs meeting was okay but it was inevitable that Atkin and Kennett would win it given how dood they are on Ice. I would have preferred to have seen them split up. Smoli and BB did very well, Ben doesnt really have the riding style for Ice Speedway but to be fair he rode well in the Pairs meeting.

A few decent races, and a couple of crashes including when BB wiped out his team mate David Howe in one race :o . Also Kennett took out Smolinski in Heat 13, it was good to see the pair of them playing up to the crowd though. No way that would have happened in a serious meeting but that is what Telford is all about. That incident was quite funny. :D

Delighted that Smoli won the evening meeting, he has been a popular rider at Telford. Today I lost count of how many wheelies he did but hes a showman and a well derserved winner. Looking forward to seeing him ride for the Brummies this year. :t::drink:

Thanks for the Memories Telford!!

Edited by Brummie Kev

As always a great fun day out, I am going to miss my annual fix of ice speedway laughs.

Judging by a piece of news on the BSPA site this may not be the last event we see like this in the UK. Graham Drury is looking to keep running this, albeit at another venue.

See here: http://speedwaygb.co...hp?extend.14521

Good news! my 1st Ice speedway event & both my son & I really enjoyed it. Spent the drive back down the A49 wondering whether the owners of the new rink that is about to be built in Cardiff could be persueded to hold it.

We only went to the afternoon meeting but was pleased to hear that Smoli won the evening meeting.

He did some great wheelies all afternoon and we look forward to seeing him at Perry Barr. I went to support Jan and Magnus and really enjoyed it again

Quality night of speedway, albeit somewhat watered down with the withdrawals of a couple of riders.

Just one silly question though, who is Gary o'Hare?!

I'm old enough to have seen him ride for Long Eaton around 1990... I think he may have been in the 1985 Ellesmere Port title winning side?

Edited by Shadders

I'm old enough to have seen him ride for Long Eaton around 1990... I think he may have been in the 1985 Ellesmere Port title winning side?

Definitely showing my age there. I was only 3 then!

Started out with Stoke in the early 80s but a broken thigh at Canterbury in the British Junior Championship slowed his progress, struggled a little after that before getting a chance at Ellesmere Port in 1985 when Phil Alderman got hurt. Was pretty darn good round Thornton Road getting a 12 point maximum from the number 8 spot in one match. The demise of Ellesmere saw Gary move around a little before a decent spell at Long Eaton brought the curtain down on his career.

Never a superstar and always had a little bit of a weight problem, dont we all, but if not for the broken thigh was, in my opinion, likely to have made British League second string standard