British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Nz Gp Huge Financial Cost & Losses For Promoter

IF you are talking about costs or fees paid to BSI/IMG it's because I don't know them and don't pretend to or guess. That's their business and the only one that should be and is in the public domain is what is paid to the FIM.

If you don't know the figures then how do you know the estimates are unsubstantiated? I actually don't expect IMG/BSI or associates to divulge what is potentially commercially sensitive information, but I hope you don't mind if speedway fans then indulge in speculation.

What GP hosts might be paying is of interest to the speedway community because it's money that's potentially going out of the sport, and it also provides an indication of what could or should be going to the FIM and national speedway authorities. I accept it can be argued that money is generated that otherwise wouldn't be in the sport, but it's certainly something that should be of (speedway) public interest.

I do feel that now and again you pluck numbers out of the air with regard to the SGP.

Well perhaps, but it's usually based on some research. I don't see it being any different to some of the SGP claims about television viewing and other things.

A relatively minor issue, I admit, but one that illustrates while the FIM are happy to pressure IMG into taking the SGP worldwide they aren't ready to grasp some of the issues that are involved.

Well we can agree the FIM are ultimately the issue, because they're the ones who cut the deal for the SGP, and it's not really clear where the money raised from speedway actually goes.

And yes, it's all a healthy debate... ;)

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

You're once again dismissive of those who try to put facts and figures to things, but the answer to how much freight was involved is indicated in BSI's (quite interesting) video on the SGP website (see http://www.speedwayg...-up-new-zealand). Each rider gets a crate that comes to around 550 kilos, so if we assume 16 riders, that's about 9 tonnes. There's probably other BSI paraphenalia to ship as well, but I'd think about 12 tonnes maximum.

AFAIK, IATA airlines (of which Emirates are one) have standard tariffs per kilo that can be found in various places online. Whilst I'm sure deals can be done, I don't see Emirates listed as a SGP sponsor so presumably fairly standard commercial rates were paid.

I also wasn't aware that Emirates flew from Auckland or Sydney to Los Angeles, so even if some special deal is being given to the SGP organisers, it wouldn't help for a US GP.

And you don't think that the airlines or the freight companies are giving them a better deal. Remember everything Bill Buckley makes is exported around the world. I'm sure he for one has contacts. Maybe Emirates will become a future sponsor. Or even Air New Zealand

Edited by kiwi

And you don't think that the airlines or the freight companies are giving them a better deal.

Maybe, maybe not, but probably not otherwise the airline or handling agent would be listed as sponsors.