British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

British Semi-finals Line-up

Looking at the Sheffield Site, it says it's off because of heavy overnight rain and a bad weather forecast during the day. Showers are forecasted, but as we know showers can be hit and miss.

Edited by Brummie Kev

Just how hard did it rain in Sheffield last night? Today's forecast is for a couple of light showers, nothing too bad. Seems as though they're happy to call it off early. Some of us had planned to travel and took time off work... Disappointed.

Just drove past Sheff on the M1 on to the M18 in sunshine and blue sky

Just drove past Sheff on the M1 on to the M18 in sunshine and blue sky

If the track is under water then fair enough, otherwise it seems like a barmy decision.

If the track is under water then fair enough, otherwise it seems like a barmy decision.

went past at 9 am and it was dry then past again at 1-30 and it was dry,didnt look like there had been any heavy rain but i guess storms can be very local.....

Edited by montie

seems very strange all this, people saying the weather is fine, simon stead saying on his own twitter he is at rye, and then you read this on sheffields fb page,

Just had this from Neil Machin: Simon Stead WILL be at Sheffield tomorrow night. The Swindon promotions insistence that Simon Stead will be at Swindon is to confuse people and a deliberate attempt to jeopardise the British Championship Semi Final. Track is excellent and meeting will definitely run, Normal PL ticket prices apply.

20 hours ago via Mobile · LikeUnlike· 2

all seems contradictory to me. :unsure:

hope it not a problem copying it as feel it very relevant.

still planning on going to rye though so hope all good there, be great see, eddie bomber etc in action there.

Edited by brewer

Had a bit of rain in Sheffield last night but nothing too much. It has been dry all day today and is very warm although showers have been forecast. I can't comment on the state of the track as I have not seen it but, is it any wonder no one travels to speedway any more when there is even the hint of a shower. I have been sat in the garden this afternoon - just a couple of miles from the track - and have the washing pegged out.

Seems very strange that it's been called off, but last week was on despite much more rain

Just been on the phone to a mate who was intending to come tonight after a long absence. He was amazed that the meeting was off already and I was embarrassed to tell him. Crowds are down massively at Olwerton this season and there are next to no away fans, even from the relatively local clubs. Is it any wonder when stuff like this happens? I have been to four meetings this season due to work and rain offs and don't feel inclined to go to many more. it may well throw it down later on and the decision may be justified, but to call it off during the day when the sun is out seems rather odd.

sounds dodgy to me this,has anyone been at the track ,weather's been hot and sunny here all day had some rain last night no worse than last week,this needs a stewards enquiry.

Just been on the phone to a mate who was intending to come tonight after a long absence. He was amazed that the meeting was off already and I was embarrassed to tell him. Crowds are down massively at Olwerton this season and there are next to no away fans, even from the relatively local clubs. Is it any wonder when stuff like this happens? I have been to four meetings this season due to work and rain offs and don't feel inclined to go to many more. it may well throw it down later on and the decision may be justified, but to call it off during the day when the sun is out seems rather odd.

I don't know which forecast they're looking at, but the BBC are usually accurate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638077

Very odd!

BBC Weather on line weather chart shows rain over Sheffield between 7pm & 10pm tonight and this was updated 30 minutes ago. This is the difference between this week and last week where the forecast was, and we definatley had, a perfect sunny evening.

I am sure that the cancellation is not without a lot of thought especially with the travelling distance involved for some.

Definately a no win situation, whatever Sheffield decided.

I don't know which forecast they're looking at, but the BBC are usually accurate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638077

Very odd!

Check the radar map at the foot of the page......

Edited by DAVEK

I am sure that the cancellation is not without a lot of thought especially with the travelling distance involved for some.

Definately a no win situation, whatever Sheffield decided.

Check the radar map at the foot of the page......

Can't see the satrelite fully. Not the best connection on my phone, but your information does seem to contradict the timeline at the top of the page. If indeed it does bucket down when you say, then fair enough. It's saved us a 350 mile round trip!

Can't see the satrelite fully. Not the best connection on my phone, but your information does seem to contradict the timeline at the top of the page. If indeed it does bucket down when you say, then fair enough. It's saved us a 350 mile round trip!

The BBC have all angles covered on tonights weather by the looks of things.

The decision to call a meeting off is not decided on the various weather forecasts shown on the net. As far as I know, they take advice direct from the Met or local weather office.

Watch it be sunny tonight .......

The BBC have all angles covered on tonights weather by the looks of things.

The decision to call a meeting off is not decided on the various weather forecasts shown on the net. As far as I know, they take advice direct from the Met or local weather office.

Watch it be sunny tonight .......

Plan B was to take in a Panthers home meeting as it's around 75 minutes drive from us, but guess what? They don't have a home meeting tonight. The next closest to us Ipswich are away at Redcar, so plan D is a visit to our favourite Turkish restaurant!