British Speedway Forum

Time CVS & Adams moved over and let someone with a bit of know run the team maybe Sam or PK they would know how to get the riders going.

You have to be careful what you wish for sometimes.

Many knock CVS, i know i have in the past, but year after year we have a club that is stable and never seems any doubt that we will come to the tapes season upon season.

When you constantly hear of other promotions threatening to pull out or struggle to pay riders we should feel in a much better position season on season.

I feel the same a lot of Wolves fans do that sometimes we tend to appear to do things `on the cheap` and lack the bite to make ruthless changes that may bring us more success.

However i always feel safe in the knowledge that we will be coming to the tapes each season - if i was a Brummies, Peterborough, Coventry fan, as examples, i would feel less secure in having a team to support year on year.

• Like 3

i dont think there is much team spirit going on within wolves team .last night over the one side the pits there were 7guys in it together ,there for each other ,pats on the back etc ,over our side it was 6 riders not really in it together .i know when your losing heads drop but there is no togetherness when that happens. its not that they dont get on cause they do but just dont work as a team.

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

i dont think there is much team spirit going on within wolves team .last night over the one side the pits there were 7guys in it together ,there for each other ,pats on the back etc ,over our side it was 6 riders not really in it together .i know when your losing heads drop but there is no togetherness when that happens. its not that they dont get on cause they do but just dont work as a team.

Team spirit must have been dragged out with every injury worry. It was sky high before Ty got injured.

Plus last night was only ever a formality, despite the huff and puff of both promotions.

Team spirit must have been dragged out with every injury worry. It was sky high before Ty got injured.

Plus last night was only ever a formality, despite the huff and puff of both promotions.

it shouldnt be a formality ,birmingham are there to be beat and they can be but if you dont believe it will never happen Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

was it sky high? . watch birminghams team they are there for each other . its not been like that at wolves this year . ive no doubt injuries play there part but they just dont seem to be a team .on the wolves side of the pits is was a quiet place . did any wolves rider even congratulate sqora on his win in heat 15?. you win as a team you lose as a team .fair play to birmingham they get the team thing

was it sky high? . watch birminghams team they are there for each other . its not been like that at wolves this year . ive no doubt injuries play there part but they just dont seem to be a team .on the wolves side of the pits is was a quiet place . did any wolves rider even congratulate sqora on his win in heat 15?. you win as a team you lose as a team .fair play to birmingham they get the team thing

It was Sky high up till Ty got injured. They have been running on empty for quite a while now. You only have to look at the Stars, Hammers for example to see how holding your head Sky high at the tail end of the season is a hard thing to do when you have half of your team missing. Brum are lucky that they have kept the same team all season and have been able to build that team spirit throughout the season.

it shouldnt be a formality ,birmingham are there to be beat and they can be but if you dont believe it will never happen

So you seriously want me to believe that by having Cook at number one (plus obviously still desperately missing Ty and Jacob) means that it was a likely chance of winning then?

Of course anything was possible and is on the night, but we had all the odds stacked against us. Particularly when we have a non number one guesting for the league`s best rider.

Brum needed to have a lot of bad luck and a couple of off par performances (smolinski and covatti i grant you did) plus no riders able to dominant proceedings.

Only then was it possible to pull off a shock.

It was hardly ever going to happen - i guess that's why our boys started in a determined way. Freddie not doing anything in heat 3 proved that it was all going to be a wasted course.

Edited by stevebrum

It was Sky high up till Ty got injured.

they were high on confidence untill ty got injured but team spirit has been the same all year.

You have to be careful what you wish for sometimes.

Many knock CVS, i know i have in the past, but year after year we have a club that is stable and never seems any doubt that we will come to the tapes season upon season.

When you constantly hear of other promotions threatening to pull out or struggle to pay riders we should feel in a much better position season on season.

I feel the same a lot of Wolves fans do that sometimes we tend to appear to do things `on the cheap` and lack the bite to make ruthless changes that may bring us more success.

However i always feel safe in the knowledge that we will be coming to the tapes each season - if i was a Brummies, Peterborough, Coventry fan, as examples, i would feel less secure in having a team to support year on year.

It's a catch 22. Moan and your promoter could threaten closure. Keep quiet and they'll serve up any old tripe safe in the knowledge they have the nuclear option of a closure threat. The only way for fans to exert any real influence is to vote with their feet. That in itself can be a risky tactic but It worked a while back at Wolves and to be fair to CVS I can't ever recall him using the 'c' word. Edited by Wolfsbane
  • Like 1

It's a catch 22. Moan and your promoter could threaten closure. Keep quiet and they'll serve up any old tripe safe in the knowledge they have the nuclear option of a closure threat. The only way for fans to exert any real influence is to vote with their feet. That in itself can be a risky tactic but It worked a while back at Wolves and to be fair to CVS I can't ever recall him using the 'c' word.

Have never understood the `vote with your feet` argument.

Why would anyone who loves Speedway and their local team stop going just to make a point??

As i have said, some need to be careful what or who they wish for!

Why would anyone who loves Speedway and their local team stop going just to make a point??

Why if I came and did a job for you that you were not happy with would you still pay me No you would not and its the same with any sport not just speedway if your not happy with it you stop going and save your money.

• Like 1

You surprise me on this one Steve :o Remember back to the dark days when Johnno kept getting a team place despite riding something a tad slower than my lawnmower? The gaps on the terraces began to get more and more noticeable, folks staying away, aka voting with their feet, making it unsustainable. CVS to give him his due didn't scarper but went out and signed Tai. That's why I believe voting with your feet works. Risky business though, I do agree. :P

Why if I came and did a job for you that you were not happy with would you still pay me No you would not and its the same with any sport not just speedway if your not happy with it you stop going and save your money.

I just choose my meetings if it gets like that, but i enjoy my speedway fix way too much.

You surprise me on this one Steve :o Remember back to the dark days when Johnno kept getting a team place despite riding something a tad slower than my lawnmower? The gaps on the terraces began to get more and more noticeable, folks staying away, aka voting with their feet, making it unsustainable. CVS to give him his due didn't scarper but went out and signed Tai. That's why I believe voting with your feet works. Risky business though, I do agree. :P

We were lucky that it was in a time when decent riders still wanted to come and were worth the investment.

Michelsen clearly wanted to come over so IMHO more should have been done, but supporters have in the whole been satisfied because we have been one of the better teams this season

No matter how we moan these promotions still run our clubs AND sport.

Give supporters a decent team and they will come, simple as.

Edited by stevebrum

The days of just hoping a decent team will attract big crowds are long gone

Look at bradford 97 gone in 98 and were el champs racing in front of 800 a week

Brum topped the league this year and swindon second both promotions complained at lack of crowds

Newport 2011 ko cup winners , the top team in the pl for second half of that season crushing most teams at home getting big away wins with three genuine pl stars brilliant racing under the floodlights yet struggled to get 350 a week

These days you need to promote the club extremely well to get decent crowds, a decent team alone wont get crowds in

You surprise me on this one Steve :o Remember back to the dark days when Johnno kept getting a team place despite riding something a tad slower than my lawnmower?

Ah that old chestnut, Johnno, the 6.5-7pt guy we signed.. who averaged about 6.7 for us. Not bad for riding a lawnmower in a far higher standard league than we have now.

The problem then, was not with Johnno, but the man whose place he took. That being Sam Ermolenko.

Edited to add, Johno averaged 6.65 for us that season.

Edited by BWitcher

Ah that old chestnut, Johnno, the 6.5-7pt guy we signed.. who averaged about 6.7 for us. Not bad for riding a lawnmower in a far higher standard league than we have now.

The problem then, was not with Johnno, but the man whose place he took. That being Sam Ermolenko.

Edited to add, Johno averaged 6.65 for us that season.

That old chestnut finished off my regular visits to Monmore amongst other things eg Treatment of Wolfcry. If they couldn't be ar$ed, then neither could I. Although I do concede that Johnno for Sam was madness it does serve to illustrate my earlier point to Steve rather well, thanks for that :D Edited by Wolfsbane