British Speedway Forum
Cornishman

Very Disappointed With.....

This was a chance for British Speedway fans to pay tribute to Lee Richarson together instead of in little pockets all over the country. We also had fans from all over europe there who could have joined in. It should have been made into a Rico day, a one off just 15 weeks after his death. There should have been a 2 mins silence for all fans from europe to observe together. There should have been a Rico tribute at the interval & even a collection made (yes you would need many collectors). This was a chance to honor one of our favorite sons together and we blew it. His bike should have been on the introduction parade & perhaps even Emma could have said a few words about her husband. His sons were there with her and it would have been quite fitting.

Shame on you fits the bill, yes three full pages in the program were excellent, well done for that. But there should have been a lot more done to honour his memory.

Some say time to move on ... time to move on starts March 2013, a new season a new start. This one has been marred by the loss of one of our own, they let Lee down badly in my opinion.

I was going to say, they should have at least dedicated a page in the programme, so if three pages were dedicated to Lee then I am not sure what more people could expect. The whole of the speedway community have already grieved for Lee, and collections have taken place around the world from what I have read, and most of those at the GP would have already donated. So yes, it was right to make some tribute, which the programme did, but that is about as far as it could have gone really.

I was going to say, they should have at least dedicated a page in the programme, so if three pages were dedicated to Lee then I am not sure what more people could expect. The whole of the speedway community have already grieved for Lee, and collections have taken place around the world from what I have read, and most of those at the GP would have already donated. So yes, it was right to make some tribute, which the programme did, but that is about as far as it could have gone really.

Not everyone bought the programme, especially at that price. Most people around us didn't have a prog. Was disappointing to just mention people wearing the shirts, and have some naff karaoke singer, and dance troupe given 10 minutes each. Poor show for GB's top-points scorer.

Not everyone bought the programme, especially at that price. Most people around us didn't have a prog. Was disappointing to just mention people wearing the shirts, and have some naff karaoke singer, and dance troupe given 10 minutes each. Poor show for GB's top-points scorer.

But it was not a BSPA event, it was a SGP event. I personally think the British Final would have been the most fitting place for a tribute for Lee.

Swindon will be honouring Lee next year in a special memorial meeting at Blunsdon. And he was honoured 2 weeks ago at Steady's testimonial with the 1-minute silence. Hope there's a massive turn-out at Lakeside next month.

Not sure on the best way to take this forward realy?

When would his close family like the reminders to stop? maybe quickly, maybe never?

Perhaps event organisers should just ask them? (We want to do a tribute "video, book, meeting" etc etc) Is that ok with you his closest family?

And respect their wishes.

A top racer, but also a family man & their wishes MUST BE RESPECTED.

M

Exclusive Statement from Emma Richardson on tonight's Speedway Show on BIKERfm re the lack of Lee Richardson emphasis at Cardiff 2012.

I kind of find the argument that there didn't need to be a minutes silence because it had been done in the GP straight after Rico's death ridiculous. Lakeside held a minutes silence in their first meeting following the crash but I am sure everyone would expect to observe a minutes silence at the meeting in September (okay I know it is a meeting in his memory but its still the case). We honour minute's silence's for years on some occasions, is one minute of either silence or noise really to hard to build into the GP schedule? It could have been done before the riders went on parade so that it wasn't part of the main event, but it would have been appreciated by so many.

I think it was a missed opportunity for British speedway. This is the biggest speedway event on the calendar in the UK where fans from all over the world attend whilst there was stuff in the program they also said that they "would honour Rico tonight" as far as I am concerned that didn't happen.

I definately agree it was an opportunity missed :sad: Obviously it should have been "ok'd" by the Richardson Family beforehand but I was expecting a minutes silence before the meeting at the parade..........it was the 1st BRITISH GP since his death.

Thats like a F1 driver dying and then his 'home' gp not respecting him at the 1st Gp after...it would have happened.

Thank Goodness applause broke out when the white tshirts were mentioned or there wold have been no mention of Lee at all last saturday :cry:

• I'm sure had it been Gollob and in Poland, they would've done something - it's called respect. Sadly, I feel the organisers have let themselves down.

• I'm sure had it been Gollob and in Poland, they would've done something - it's called respect. Sadly, I feel the organisers have let themselves down.

My friends and I said exactly the same, I assumed there would be something before the parade then when we saw the bikes on track we thought the riders would be standing next to them for a minutes reflection, just could not believe that there was no mention of Lee other than the t-shirts. We have that bloody awful singer in the interval when this could have been filled with a short film of Lees career it would have been a lot more appreciated than the singer was!

• Like 3